Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:22 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2012
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnonel View Post
Guys, still a bit confused

Could someone please summarise the following for me:

Input leads: 1) Can they be extended? 2) How long before any mods 3) If mods required (eg: capacitor) how to modify (eg: add ceramic capacitor close to charger end)

Output leads (Charge Cable): 1) Can they be extended? 2) How long before any mods 3) If mods required (eg: capacitor) how to modify (eg: add ceramic capacitor close to charger end)

Output leads (Balance Cable): 1) Can they be extended? 2) How long before any mods 3) If mods required (eg: capacitor) how to modify (eg: add ceramic capacitor close to charger end) - This one is a little confusing as there are 10 cables, so where to put capacitor?
  1. You've received a bunch of responses on this already (even I took some time to write one that I felt was thorough) and it seems you're still confused. I'm not sure how much more we can help. Bottom line is many people are running 2M input leads (and longer) without any problems. If you want to run additional parallel capacitors at the charger input for piece of mind, nobody's stopping you, but since it's not really necessary for the 2 Meters you're talking about, there is no "correct" value other than "not needed" [and yet this thread continues]
  2. shouldn't be any problem going any reasonable length. If you "need" a better answer, see answer to #3.
  3. nobody knows; I run 20" balance extenders on my desk charger setup without issue. I suggest you read the paper I linked you to in my first response regarding LC current spikes, as education will go a lot farther toward helping to get "Unconfused" than will asking a bunch of questions here that can only accurately be answered by trial and error with destructive quantitative analysis using professional equipment.
Since from your questions, it's obvious you don't really understand the fundamental reason why a capacitor might help and what negative condition it is supposed to counteract, I suggest you spend more time flying and less time worrying about 2 meter charger leads

If you're still bent on extending your charger leads to miles, then read the paper I linked you to and start experimenting. You'll likely blow several iChargers up in the process and possibly withstand several mild electric shocks, but I'm sure the knowledge of knowing that you need a 50v 0.10uF ceramic cap and a 25v 330uF electrolytic cap in parallel between each cell connection at the balance port in order to extend the leads to 100 meters without causing potentially damaging LC spikes within the charger will be very satisfying in the end

-=dave
tungsten2k is offline Find More Posts by tungsten2k
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:27 PM
Jedi Master
United Kingdom, London
Joined Apr 2014
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tungsten2k View Post
  1. You've received a bunch of responses on this already (even I took some time to write one that I felt was thorough) and it seems you're still confused. I'm not sure how much more we can help. Bottom line is many people are running 2M input leads (and longer) without any problems. If you want to run additional parallel capacitors at the charger input for piece of mind, nobody's stopping you, but since it's not really necessary for the 2 Meters you're talking about, there is no "correct" value other than "not needed" [and yet this thread continues]
  2. shouldn't be any problem going any reasonable length. If you "need" a better answer, see answer to #3.
  3. nobody knows; I run 20" balance extenders on my desk charger setup without issue. I suggest you read the paper I linked you to in my first response regarding LC current spikes, as education will go a lot farther toward helping to get "Unconfused" than will asking a bunch of questions here that can only accurately be answered by trial and error with destructive quantitative analysis using professional equipment.
Since from your questions, it's obvious you don't really understand the fundamental reason why a capacitor might help and what negative condition it is supposed to counteract, I suggest you spend more time flying and less time worrying about 2 meter charger leads

If you're still bent on extending your charger leads to miles, then read the paper I linked you to and start experimenting. You'll likely blow several iChargers up in the process and possibly withstand several mild electric shocks, but I'm sure the knowledge of knowing that you need a 50v 0.10uF ceramic cap and a 25v 330uF electrolytic cap in parallel between each cell connection at the balance port in order to extend the leads to 100 meters without causing potentially damaging LC spikes within the charger will be very satisfying in the end

-=dave
Dave

First off, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I can understand its quite frustrating when people who dont know what they are doing come on here, into a community, to ask questions. I asked a question, was told to go to Junsi which I did, and get a confusing response

I apologise for not being an electronics expert, but im trying to learn, and ask questions. This community would be pretty bare if we all just "researched" everything and didnt ask questions. Even one of the questions I asked, you respond "nobody knows; ". Wow, some things even YOU dont know.

I guess one of the disadvantages of this community is that you can sit behind your laptop, in the safety of your own home and be rude. Wonder how rude you would be if we were face to face.
arnonel is online now Find More Posts by arnonel
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolice View Post
I have a customers 4010 DUO here and last night when powered with no batteries connected, both channels displayed main charge lead voltages on the display of each channel.

A restart cleared them, but I noticed it a couple of times and then nothing. This was on V2.15, I have reverted back to 2.14 and as yet not seen it.
I've seen this one too. Early on, I wanted to upgrade the firmware. To avoid ground loop and other problems I used a 6S pack to power up the 4010Duo. It acted very strange, both channels displayed voltages which varied in strange ways over time. I unplugged the pack and reconnected it, which seemed to clear the problem.
LizardMan is online now Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Aug 19, 2014, 06:10 PM
Joined Jun 2014
1 Posts
Hey there!
Can I use the analog (similar) PNP transistor (MJD42CG \ MJD42C1G) "ON Semiconductor"? If so what kind of analogue?
Needed to repair the charger.
Charger - 4010 DUO. The problem is to buy MJD42CG \ MJD42C1G

For example TIP42CG from "ON SEMICONDUCTOR"
http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions...ct.do?id=TIP42 ?
Arhistratig is online now Find More Posts by Arhistratig
Last edited by Arhistratig; Aug 19, 2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 06:14 PM
Hay Pilot
United States, TX, Fayetteville
Joined Mar 2013
192 Posts
Is there some rule of thumb for setting up discharge rates on Lipo's? All of my previous chargers had a default based on the capacity, but with the 308 Duo, it wants me to input a number and the one that is there now seems to be way too big. For charging, I am not setting the end capacity, just setting it up for auto detect on cells and a specific Amp to charge at. Thanks.

Charles
Chascall is online now Find More Posts by Chascall
Old Aug 19, 2014, 09:26 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,180 Posts
What are you discharging? For bigger packs, the internal discharge wattage limit of the charger will limit you, no matter what you request.

If you want a number as a starting point, I'd say keep it to 5C or lower. If a 2000mAh (2Ah), discharge at 10A or less. I do more like 3C tops. If you can reach that, it won't take very long anyhow. I discharge to storage, 3.85V/cell.
RedOctobyr is online now Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Old Aug 19, 2014, 09:55 PM
Hay Pilot
United States, TX, Fayetteville
Joined Mar 2013
192 Posts
Thanks, that helps. I was wanting it for discharge to storage, just did not want to damage my batteries trying to take care of them.
Chascall is online now Find More Posts by Chascall
Old Today, 03:34 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardMan View Post
Junsi,

Running 2.15 on 4010Duo and noticed a few display issues:

End volt field often displays "0.00v/Cell", but isn't consistent. Stopping and restarting may or may not cause proper charge termination voltage per cell display. (Update: I noticed this issue in Pb mode, but it may also occur in other modes)

In volt low field displays 0.00V, rather than PS/BT profile low voltage trigger point.

I'm still seeing blank IR values when parallel charging large packs.

Thanks
Sorry for the trouble caused, we will test this problem according to your information.

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi