HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:45 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,706 Posts
Discussion
steel workbench?

It's time for a new workbench-so searching the forums there seem to be alot of people using steel mounted on a board etc. Is there anyone just using a steel workbench to build magnetically? I would like to go that route and have just started researching the options-any recommendations for a good bench?

Thanks guys.
Jon
echoplanar is online now Find More Posts by echoplanar
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:25 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,288 Posts
If you're building your own bench then a big factor is the materials you're best equipped to work with either at home or at work with the blessing of the boss.

If you're a welder than making the legs and sub frame from welded steel tubing makes PERFECT sense. If you're a part time wood worker than it makes more sense to use good ol' wood.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
Here ya go:

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:58 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,288 Posts
Consider that first and foremost that the top has to be flat with no bowing or twisting or localized lumps. A purely steel top would need to be quite thick, very heavy and costly to ensure that it's thick enough to support your work on it's own with minimal sub framing. This is why the usual method is to do apply a thinner sheet metal cover over a wood underlay of some form.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,109 Posts
I just built a build table that uses gorilla rack sides,purchased at Menard's.I then used 3/4" birch ply,with galvanized sheet metal on top. It works beautifully. I bought magnets from ace hardware. then I bought a builders set from air field models.
I am very happy with it it was well worth the time and investment. Many of the problems I've had with traditional pithing such as too soft a work surface, and pin holes in my work have vanished. Alignment is much easier now.Every thing comes off the board strait.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:36 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,462 Posts
Free

A tip I got way back when was to pick up scrap metal pieces such as angle iron scraps etc to use with the magnets. It is amazing all the angles that can be had. A weight or scrap piece on one side of a rib and the magnet on the other stretches the magnets nicely.
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:07 PM
Rob H
United States, MD, Rosedale
Joined Jul 2011
118 Posts
For my current build, I went to a magnetic setup and love it. My work bench is a piece of 24" wide LVL/LSL matebeam. You can usually pick them up from local lumber suppliers. Over that I put on 18ga sheet steel. The whole table cost less than $100 and is super sturdy and very straight.
rph1225 is offline Find More Posts by rph1225
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:21 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,155 Posts
Let's see some pictures.....
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc