HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:03 AM
Joined Nov 2012
23 Posts
Discussion
Basic DX6i Advice Needed

I'm just setting up my DX6i for the first time, ready for the arrival of my first Quadcopter. I have absolutely no RC experience and so am trying to get things setup whilst pretending to understand what I'm doing...

I have a guide to follow to set up the DX6i ready for use with a Crius AIOP GPS board.

I'm told to setup the Mix 1 & Mix 2 options to:

Mix 1
Gear -> Gear
Rate D -100% U 0%
Sw Mix

Mix 2
Gear -> Gear
Rate D -50% U 0%
Sw Ail D/R

However, on my handset I only see Gyro, Pitch, Thro, Aile, Elev, Rudd on these options. I'm still trying to figure out what the Mix actually does, so I guess I'm missing something elsewhere in the setup?

I'm also instructed to set these options:
Flaps Flap Elev
Norm ▲100 0
Land ▼100 0
But can't find this screen anywhere,

Any advice appreciated, on either finding the Gear option or on explaining the Mix.
catnip is offline Find More Posts by catnip
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:00 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,414 Posts
If your DX6i is new, just choose a basic airplane setting. No mixing, no nothing. The board does all the mixing. You may want to set some rates or expo, but try it first.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Nov 2012
23 Posts
Someone just pointed out I had it set to Heli instead of Acro, which has since allowed me to follow the instructions I was given by the person who built this for me.

I just assumed Quads would have been set up as Heli. The builder has test flown, balanced and configured the copter for me, and provided the settings I'd need on my DX6i.

Thanks anyway Balr
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:32 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,414 Posts
I see you have rates set anyway. Good choice. For flips, you may want to go over 100%.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Nov 2012
23 Posts
I've set up the DX6i as instructed, although I still have no idea what settings mean what. I daren't flick a switch in case it flips at 10ft or disappears to some random GPS point!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Nov 2012
23 Posts
One thing I'm wondering about, once the binding process is complete should it ever need doing again?

It's hit or miss whether the Tx links up to the copter, and I seem to be Binding them every time I want to fly. If that's normal then I'll not worry about it, but from the guides I read last week I got the impression it should only need doing once.

At the moment it seems I have to power up the copter, then power on & bind the Rx. If I change the battery or power down the copter, it needs binding again. Sometimes it works without the bind key, and then like today I had to reset the bind key a few times before I got a response. Am I missing a trick or is this normal?
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:25 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,414 Posts
In theory, you should only need to bind once. In practice, you will occasionally need to rebind. A lot will depend on your receiver. Are you sure you don't have a MWC arming issue, as opposed to a bind issue?
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Nov 2012
23 Posts
It could be an arming issue, how would I go about detecting the problem?

A blinking light on the Rx would suggest a binding issue, right? Most of the time it's blinking away until I reboot the Tx. I'll have to check to see if this always the case.

Is there a correct order to turning off the copter and the Tx to retain a link between the two?
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:44 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,414 Posts
You should turn on the TX first, then connect the battery on the quad. The receiver should connect within 5 - 10 seconds. The arming sequence on the MWC board may take a 30 seconds.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Nov 2012
23 Posts
Good to know, I'll try those out when I'm home and see how it behaves. And should the Tx be turned off after the quad?

Cheers!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:02 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,414 Posts
Absolutely. The last thing you want is to try to turn off a quad with 4 uncontrolled spinning blades. Don't ask me how I know.