Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
557 Posts
Discussion
UMX plugs on a 32" Profile Plane - Am I being ridiculous?

I've got a 32" EPP profile aerobatic plane I just built, it weighs about 160g, I'm using a 10a Turnigy esc with an outrunner 1400KV motor and an 8043 prop. I've copied the specs of someone else on this forum for whom this combo works really well for hovering with a 2s battery. I'm using 300mah 35c batteries, but they're using UMX plugs, those small ones used by the E-Flite Beast, Carbon Cub, Blade 130x etc... Despite the battery being known good (it's a stock e-flite 300mah and actually not bad at all by any standard), I can't come close to a hover at WOT to save my life. My climb rate is also pathetic. I've directly soldered the esc wires to the motor wires.

Am I being ridiculous to think I can use UMX battery plugs on such a plane? The 130x heli does 3d like a bat out of hell with these batteres, it weighs about 100g. I have other batteries with XT60 plugs I could use, it's just that I have fewer than the UMX batteries.

Would lack of power be a symptom of a plug that's not up to task or would an underspec'ed plug just get fused by too much ampdraw? I tried playing with the esc's "timing" setting, but maybe I just wasn't getting it to save, because there was no noticeable difference from it's default low setting, when set to medium or high.

I'd love to get this thing hovering without going 3s. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW the motor spins up fine with no cogging or power custs that would indicate a cold solder. Motor and esc are both brand new.

This is my first airplane build, so any suggestion, no matter how obvious would be appreciated.

Thanks!
eltreato is online now Find More Posts by eltreato
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:02 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,179 Posts
I would like to help, but you have missed out an important piece of information - which 1400Kv motor are you using?

Depending on the motor, you could be drawing somewhere between 4 to 7A. 7A would be pushing the limits of the battery and its connector, but I would still expect better than 'pathetic' climb rate (should have close to 2:1 thrust/weight).

I suspect there is something wrong with you motor or ESC. First try calibrating the ESC's throttle range to make sure you are getting maximum power a full throttle.

If this doesn't help then measure the battery and ESC voltages under load (you can connect a voltmeter to the wires with dressmakers pins stuck through the insulation). This will tell you if the battery is weak, or if there is excessive loss through the connector.

Next step is to substitute another ESC. If you still get weak performance then the motor is probably faulty.

One more thing: have you checked that the prop is on the right way around?
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:34 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
I would like to help, but you have missed out an important piece of information - which 1400Kv motor are you using?

Depending on the motor, you could be drawing somewhere between 4 to 7A. 7A would be pushing the limits of the battery and its connector, but I would still expect better than 'pathetic' climb rate (should have close to 2:1 thrust/weight).

I suspect there is something wrong with you motor or ESC. First try calibrating the ESC's throttle range to make sure you are getting maximum power a full throttle.

If this doesn't help then measure the battery and ESC voltages under load (you can connect a voltmeter to the wires with dressmakers pins stuck through the insulation). This will tell you if the battery is weak, or if there is excessive loss through the connector.

Next step is to substitute another ESC. If you still get weak performance then the motor is probably faulty.

One more thing: have you checked that the prop is on the right way around?
Hi Bruce, thanks for your input. The motor is a Turnigy 14T 2204 brushless outrunner. I just tried calibrating the throttle as per your suggestion, unfortunately it made no noticeable difference.

Hold the line, my prop is on backwards! It's a cheapy with poor molding on the proper side. I figured it was a symmetric blade like on a CCPM heli. I bet this will sort me out just fine.

I will report back this afternoon.

Thanks man! I'm such a noob!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:31 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
557 Posts
just came in from the park. Plane flies perfectly now with tons of power. Thanks for the prop suggestion Bruce!