HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:11 AM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Got the folding setup done...a few pics to show how it would look...need to locktite the screws before covering...
Marked is offline Find More Posts by Marked
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:53 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
In some ways this is as good as scale modeling gets,
modeling your own plane!
Looking great!
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Pic 1 Well ...another example of the pile of interference problems I have had with this build. The pic is of the pin on the bottom of the horz. stab that the folded wing attaches to: there is a small tube in the wing that slides over this.

The horizontal stab moves up and down on its trailing edge about 1/16 of an inch. Because I put the pin flush with the bottom (forgot how much it moved) I didnt have a lot of up elevator. By moving the pin lower (another set of holes in my boom tube) this fixed the up problem.

Side view with the engine(motor) installed. I may add more detail to it...ESC is in the cylinder head area.

Servo cable attachment. The up elevator cable has a bend in the end of the attach clevis....in case it get loose,wont completely pull out. What fun to rig..just like the real one
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
A bad shot of the control pulleys. I will be having company in town for several weeks,so my build will slow a bit
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Covered 1 wing...had a lot of trouble on the tip.I really dont want to re-do the whole thing. the rest needs shrinking,will do that later.

I have covered at least 60+ wings...for some reason,this one is giving me the most problem
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:17 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marked View Post
Covered 1 wing...had a lot of trouble on the tip.I really dont want to re-do the whole thing. the rest needs shrinking,will do that later.

I have covered at least 60+ wings...for some reason,this one is giving me the most problem
Marked,

Most of the wing looks great. Perhaps you could just cut off the tip bay and give it another try. I have managed to take some areas that I was not completely satisfied with and get a result I really liked doing that. Some of the time, the addition of a gusset or another structural piece to resist compression of the covering will solve the issue on the second go. Also, there is always "the best is the enemy of the good approach" and leave it as is. I have used all of these methods.

Very interesting build and subject. I am looking for a new home for my full sized, nearly complete Sky Raider 1. I hate to see it go, but I bought a Tritle J3 Kitten which I will cosmetically alter it to look like my Sky Raider. That should ease the pangs from my 1:1 Sky Raider's departure.

Best
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:03 PM
747-400
alaska
Joined Mar 2007
465 Posts
OOO MY! this is so nice i love this build, i have built a ultra lite trike for my paraglider, just so nice!
w747 is offline Find More Posts by w747
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:05 PM
747-400
alaska
Joined Mar 2007
465 Posts
Experimental Paratrike (1 min 21 sec)
w747 is offline Find More Posts by w747
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
havent given up yet...working on an ultralight for a friend....
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
Well...its about ready to fly....dont know whats left....if anything.

The Barbie ahs a built in video cam(it is no longer made) but the angle wont do me much good. I do need the weight in front,already have a 3200mah 3 cell up front,could use a little more. I am in the C/G range.

Here is the step by step of the tail and wing folding. With a lot of tweeking,it does it with no problems.

Wing loading is a bit high...10.1 oz to the square foot. Should fly ok...
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:53 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
I love it!
Very Cool!
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:05 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,996 Posts
Pretty spiffy!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:36 AM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,329 Posts
Nice folding mechanism. It also looks like you got that one pesky wing tip nicely sorted out as well.

Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:44 AM
Joined Jan 2001
498 Posts
I still have to cut the axel between the wheels...so the working struts will actually work!

I left it in for handling purposes. Also need to change the wheels...I have flight ones..these were for when it sat for long periods.

The final details seem to take a lot of time...but I don't want to mm miss anything and mess up the plane. Not in a hurry. .have had plenty of other things to distract me...like helping a number of my older friends with things they no longer can do..