Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:18 PM
United States, TN, Oakland
Joined Sep 2008
29 Posts
After landing I started to turn off the recording on the camera and found that the yellow light was on. I hit the record button and the yellow light went off. I then stopped the short recording and turned the camera off. I'm certain that the yellow light went off when starting the recording prior to tossing the plane. No recording took place. It only showed me turning off the recording after I had landed. What would make the recording switch off? It was a fully charged battery. I also got a bad movie atom on a recording prior to this.
dmoshiloh is offline Find More Posts by dmoshiloh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2011, 01:54 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
Since my eyes, tools, and soldering skills are all not so great, I intended to clip and splice -- I think there's enough room for that -- but instead I took Tom's suggestion and unwrapped the yellow tape and soldered the old leads to the new battery board. With my eyes, I needed a magnifying glass and a strong light, but it wasn't as hard as I expected.
Splicing can be made to work, I think, but I've not tried it mainly because there really is limited space for the wire. It needs to be just the right length and have small diameter AND flexibility to be fitted into the limited space so the cover will snap into place. Splicing will require cutting the wires to just the right length, prepping the wire ends for soldering, and adding tape or heat shrink to prevent shorting. The resultant joint will be rigid and larger diameter making it harder to fit so the case can be put back on flush. Soldering the existing wires from the camera circuit board to the battery circuit board eliminates those issues, but care does need to be taken to prevent solder bridging the two wire solder pads on the battery circuit board... they are very close together and a sharp tipped soldering iron is needed. Maybe someone who has done a splice can comment on the process?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 09, 2011, 02:01 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoshiloh View Post
After landing I started to turn off the recording on the camera and found that the yellow light was on. I hit the record button and the yellow light went off. I then stopped the short recording and turned the camera off. I'm certain that the yellow light went off when starting the recording prior to tossing the plane. No recording took place. It only showed me turning off the recording after I had landed. What would make the recording switch off? It was a fully charged battery. I also got a bad movie atom on a recording prior to this.
Is it possible your flash memory card has an intermittant connection with the pins in the Camera card slot. I recently had my card become disconnected during a recording... it was held in with tape because the card latch was broken on the camera card slot and the tape slipped during flight. But I got a 4+ minute recording with file icon on the flash card, but it would not play until I repaired the file with the program I just linked a page or so back.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 08:11 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Since my eyes, tools, and soldering skills are all not so great, I intended to clip and splice -- I think there's enough room for that -- but instead I took Tom's suggestion and unwrapped the yellow tape and soldered the old leads to the new battery board. With my eyes, I needed a magnifying glass and a strong light, but it wasn't as hard as I expected.
Good Tip.. glad i asked.. I'm going to need to re-order lipos soon..
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Jul 09, 2011, 08:12 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The batteries do come with integral protection circuit board, but I found it easier to unwrap the tape to access the circuit board, unsolder the camera wires there, and solder them directly to the new battery circuit board. But YMMV.
rgr, will do..
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:19 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Laundered No 11.

Somerthing interesting happened today ..I was unloading the washing machine and noticed one of my No 11's was sitting in the bottom of the tub.. it musta slipped out of my shirt pocket earlier.. anyway I took it all apart, dried and blew it all off pulled the tape off the lipo and cleaned up the terminals then put other tape back and recharged it for abut 30 minutes but the RED LED did not come ON but .. and the AMBER would not either with NO Chip in the cam.. so I figured it was gone Pulled the micro SD chip and tried it on a good card reader .. it too was dead.. so it looked like a total loss but an hour later I glanced over and saw AMBER blinking cause I had left it charging .. and I put in a different chip, and I'll be darned if it doesn't work... but not with the orig $50 CL 10 microSD... that is still bad.. the chip looks FAR more waterproof than the camera but did not like the 30 minute sumberged jostle in HOT water..
Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:43 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Somerthing interesting happened today ..
I'll be darned if it doesn't work... but not with the orig $50 CL 10 microSD... that is still bad.. the chip looks FAR more waterproof than the camera but did not like the 30 minute sumberged jostle in HOT water..
: D
Now thats a bit of luck for you.
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:07 PM
Joined Feb 2011
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
... I put in a different chip, and I'll be darned if it doesn't work... but not with the orig $50 CL 10 microSD... that is still bad..
Don't give up on the chip yet. It might take a few days to dry out.
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:42 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,369 Posts
The SD card might "only" be corrupted, might be recovered with reformat in a point and shoot camera or non Windows device
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jul 10, 2011, 01:19 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,418 Posts
Quote:
I agree... there's a tiny micro-controller chip in side the case which might still have some moisture on it. I'd put the chip in a warm or sunny spot and let it sit for several days as mentioned. Then, re-format with the SD formatter utility.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 10, 2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 02:48 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,388 Posts
Anyone experienced a problem with the #11 repeatedly making corrupt .MOV files?

Mine produces more bad ones than good ones, the larger the file the more likely to be bad. Any program i try to use to open them crashes.

Strange that when i try to reproduce a bad file in 'bench testing' i only get good files, then when i try it to capture a real video it usually comes out bad. Just been out flying and shot two videos (mounted camera on head band) and both are corrupt.

Is this most likely a problem with the microSD card?

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jul 10, 2011, 03:03 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Anyone experienced a problem with the #11 repeatedly making corrupt .MOV files?

Mine produces more bad ones than good ones, the larger the file the more likely to be bad. Any program i try to use to open them crashes.

Strange that when i try to reproduce a bad file in 'bench testing' i only get good files, then when i try it to capture a real video it usually comes out bad. Just been out flying and shot two videos (mounted camera on head band) and both are corrupt.

Is this most likely a problem with the microSD card?

Steve
There shouldn't be much of any diffeence between a bench test and your head band vids, other some mild motion. If the card is not making very secure contact with the small pins in the card slot, the video could get corrupted by motion. You could try to duplicate that by some slight bumping of the camera during bench test, but first I would reformat the card using the SDformatter utility, and also try a different card. If that doesn't change things, the card holder in the camera might have dirty pins (clean with alcohol on an old card or other thin plastic that will fit snugly in the slot). Still not working?... maybe just a defective card holder in the camera, which should qualify for a replacement if you notify your vendor and send the camera back.

BTW, your corrupted files may very well be recoverable, at least in part using the file recovery program I linked in the FAQs. There's also a link there to download the SD formatter in the flash memory card FAQ.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:35 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,388 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for the pointers. I think the reason i didn't get the errors in my bench testing was purely because i didn't shoot long enough test videos for the errors to show. I just tried a 15 min test video and sure enough i got a corrupt file. The file cant be recovered.

I'm now sure it's the micro SD that's the problem.. It's a no name generic sourced from eBay. As check I tried a Sandisk SD (borrowed from my phone) and even though it was only class 2 the videos came out fine, no corruption. So on your recommendation I just went and ordered a Class 10 Transcend card.

Also trying a format of the old generic card with SD Formatter, but I'm not optimistic.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jul 10, 2011, 05:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Tom,

Thanks for the pointers. I think the reason i didn't get the errors in my bench testing was purely because i didn't shoot long enough test videos for the errors to show. I just tried a 15 min test video and sure enough i got a corrupt file. The file cant be recovered.

I'm now sure it's the micro SD that's the problem.. It's a no name generic sourced from eBay. As check I tried a Sandisk SD (borrowed from my phone) and even though it was only class 2 the videos came out fine, no corruption. So on your recommendation I just went and ordered a Class 10 Transcend card.

Also trying a format of the old generic card with SD Formatter, but I'm not optimistic.

Steve
OK... good you found the problem. After you reformat it, run the H2testw utility to check the memory... it will show how much valid memory is on the card, detect errors, and give average sequential write speed. Generic eBay cards from eBay should be avoided at all cost... many are rejects.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:05 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,141 Posts
Quote:
Whack it in the clothesdryer!!

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Closed Thread