Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:21 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBusenitz View Post
Hi guys,
I finally got some decent footage of my parkjet. Could some of you with doplar speedos check it out?http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post23957446
Chopped vids are not so good for this ... better to upload via Yoytube or similar and then we can test the whole vid to get better feel for the speed results.

The clips are bad for doppler because the motor sounds is not constant in the clip .. The motor rpm is still building in the 20sec of video ... leaving too short a period to test. RC Speedo on my Android shows 80kph - which is clearly not correct .. you are much faster than that.

What you need is a continuous video with multiple passes with STEADY throttle .. the passes being as LONG and straight / level as possible. Upload to youtube instead of as attachments ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:38 AM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
Another possible contender for the mini-speed freaks out there...
Phoenix EDF 40mm Micro Jet 520mm (KIT)
Specs:
Wingspan: 520mm
Length: 470mm
Flying Weight: 155g

May be a little small though.
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:55 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,259 Posts
i've looked at it too,but IMO the Phazer is a much better idea.little bigger and more futuristic looking than the Phoenix.hey we do have a few options for speedies
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._EPO_KIT_.html
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:18 AM
Gravity sucks.
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
i've looked at it too,but IMO the Phazer is a much better idea.little bigger and more futuristic looking than the Phoenix.hey we do have a few options for speedies
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._EPO_KIT_.html
Though the other options aren't quite as sleek as the original 'Parkjet' ....
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:26 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_ark View Post
Though the other options aren't quite as sleek as the original 'Parkjet' ....
That't the truth Well let's see what HK come up with since they said they're working on a new mould that's even better.time will tell
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:28 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Being honest ... taking the length of time HK took to market Lancaster, Tiger Moth, Vampire etc. - don't hold your breath waiting for their new model.

Second - they may think it better than the PKJ .. but at end of day - WE the public are the decider on that and I doubt it will be as good as the PKJ. Others try with Radjets etc. - but the PKJ built a loyal following that appeared to dwarf the others in devotion to the quest.

I have no interest in higher priced or new model that requires going through all the R&D again ... we reached a zenith with PKJ ... with promise of more ...

Lets hope the few of us with airframes still left capable of breaking the barriers carry on and reach that peak ... and hopefully still with airframes intact !

I shall be putting PKJ1 back together ... cleaning her up ... I'm not finished yet !

The Snice-mitar will be scratchbuilt to test ...

Nigel
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:12 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Does anyone have any more model suggestions that can fill the gap left by PKJ demise ?

Hopefully keeping to same overall size / style so we can utlise all the data / systems we evolved over last year or so ?

Anyone care to design up one ?

Nigel
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:59 AM
Note to self, put on pants.
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
I believe the Snice-mitar has the best potential also but im not completely sold on the Kf4 airfoil.
If a proper folded depron profile can be added we have a winner. The best solution is going to be the sleekest design. At 200kph the wing profile must be slim ie low lift therefore low drag. I have a couple of other projects to complete in the next few weeks including finishing a PJ, then i am going to try out a folded profile creation based on the PJ size and design. Im inspired to design something new. There is clearly a need.
Jamie
Jayman72 is offline Find More Posts by Jayman72
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:46 PM
Note to self, put on pants.
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
I'm inspired by this.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1674556
Just in PJ style.
Jamie
Jayman72 is offline Find More Posts by Jayman72
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:05 PM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman72 View Post
I'm inspired by this.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1674556
Just in PJ style.
Jamie
That thing looks wicked!!!!Though i don't have the patience to build something like that.So anyone wanna build me one
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:41 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman72 View Post
I believe the Snice-mitar has the best potential also but im not completely sold on the Kf4 airfoil.
If a proper folded depron profile can be added we have a winner. The best solution is going to be the sleekest design. At 200kph the wing profile must be slim ie low lift therefore low drag. I have a couple of other projects to complete in the next few weeks including finishing a PJ, then i am going to try out a folded profile creation based on the PJ size and design. Im inspired to design something new. There is clearly a need.
Jamie
I also think the KF aerofoil may limit the speed ... any blunt rear edge creates parasitic drag ... just look at back window of any hatchback / MPV car and see the crap that gets sucked back onto it. The Kf has a distinct rear step to it.

I was considering a folded foam wing to similar form as the PKJ substituted into the Snice-mitar ....

What we need is someone with a PKJ kit still un-built to sketch round the root shape of the wing... so we can create a rib for our scratchbuild ... The tip can be a scaled down version - so no worries there.
I'm going to try and measure up mine to see about creating a template.

If I really feel good .. I may sketch up from measurements taken from my 'uncrashed' PKJ ...

If anyone can help with this .... please please !!

Nigel
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:12 AM
Gravity sucks.
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I also think the KF aerofoil may limit the speed ... any blunt rear edge creates parasitic drag ... just look at back window of any hatchback / MPV car and see the crap that gets sucked back onto it. The Kf has a distinct rear step to it.

I was considering a folded foam wing to similar form as the PKJ substituted into the Snice-mitar ....

What we need is someone with a PKJ kit still un-built to sketch round the root shape of the wing... so we can create a rib for our scratchbuild ... The tip can be a scaled down version - so no worries there.
I'm going to try and measure up mine to see about creating a template.

If I really feel good .. I may sketch up from measurements taken from my 'uncrashed' PKJ ...

If anyone can help with this .... please please !!

Nigel
this could of course be done with a skyfun, and scaled - i seriously can't see a molding difference besides the scale of them and the shorter vertical stabilizers.

otherwise the wing/bodyshape is here:
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...rk-in-progress
Last edited by m_ark; Jan 31, 2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:57 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,259 Posts
My PJ2 is still unbuilt but I don't have the skill or programmes to make an accurate drawing
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:36 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,259 Posts
Looked at this loooong ago and by accident stumbled upon it again.
Nigel i see you did post in the thread,but this looks like another possible replacement candidate
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...item2313067576
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:56 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,357 Posts
I contacted the seller and he quoted $55 shipping ... and he reckoned that he never had enough interest outside USA. So he removed 1/2 the world from his listing ... Latvia incl.

So it's a non-starter for me.

I do like the look of it though ... but I think it will be a tight squeeze for LiPo's.

Nigel