HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2002, 08:32 AM
Bloomington, IL (Hell's Cornfield)
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
Wingo Mods

Posted looking for Wingo mod ideas a while ago and only got a few responses. I've incorporated those suggestions into my model and added a couple others, mainly relating to the mounting of the motor with the gearbox attached.

I wasn't too wild about the rubber band method with the the little skinny dowel. Also, the cowling didn't fit with the gearbox on. (it barely fit without it).

I simply used the suppled planks to mount the engine, but added some blocking underneath in the form of a triangular balsa wedge to support the motor slightly higher than the gearbox case to make up for the difference in thickness. I added a light ply endplate to take one screw from the gearbox to keep it in alignment, and the used the trusty tie-wrap method to hold the motor onto the mount. I added a small plate on the bottom of the wing so the foam wouldn't be crushed.

I ended up making use of the dowel. Cutting slots in the cowling to hold it in alignment and using a small rubber band to hold it down.

As slow-flying rules would have it, it's way too windy to test fly it now. Maybe in a few days. Then it's on with the Aiptek PenCam.

Karl
theKAT is offline Find More Posts by theKAT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2002, 08:35 AM
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
Here's the mount from the bottom. You can just see the endplate for the gearbox, and the bit of ply added to the rear of the wing mount to take the dowel wear. I also added the suggested dowel for the same purpose along the leading edge of the wing where the rubber bands pass over.
Old Jul 28, 2002, 08:38 AM
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
One last shot with everything in place. Initial tests with a 9x720 NiMH pack seem to indicate PLENTY of power.
Old Jul 28, 2002, 09:04 AM
Barbados
Joined Sep 2001
26 Posts
A few Qs:

Recommended Wing Incidence?

Whereabouts does the thrust-line of your motor intersect the
tail?

Can a Wingo with a stock speed 400 and no gearbox fly with the big 1700mah packs used in the Zagi 400x?

CG location?

Reason I'm asking is that I've just gotten a large supply of epoxy and I'm ready to restore my 2 year old collection of foam dust into some kind of aircraft.

--
alistair
alistairg is offline Find More Posts by alistairg
Old Jul 31, 2002, 09:48 PM
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
alstair-

Wing incidence is set by the pylon. It's kind of hard to tell but it looks to be only a few degrees up.

Thrust line on my Wingo intesect the tail about 6 cm above the base of the vertical fin leading edge (ie: it angles downward)

Can't answer your other questions. I'm flying WITH the gearbox and an 8x6 prop. Using a 9x720 NiMH pack. It's good for about 6 minutes of climbing, lots more if you shut it off and glide. I've had a couple of 20 minute flights that way. I got the JETI ESC with the brake. It will maintain altitude with about 5 clicks of power (1/4 throttle)

The recommened CG on the Wingo is just forward of the leading edge of the hole. Seems a bit far aft to me, but the sweep of the wing makes the CL further back than you would think. That location seems to be about right.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 10:00 PM
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
The weather turned nice yesterday and I was able to get my maiden test flights in on the new Wingo. Used a 9x720 NiMH pack. The recommended CG location had me putting it right in the middle of the cockpit.

First t/o was ROG. It shot right off the grass and climbed like a bat. Kind of surprised me. After the inital shock, I throttled back and flew around the patch a little bit. Only a slight amount of trimming was required on each axis. My big surprise was when I cut the power. The JETI speed controller has a prop brake. The Wingo converted instantly from sprightly climber to docile glider. I think with a little lift it would thermal easily, but I kept it farily close in on the initial flights. I was impressed at how easily it maneuvered and how stable it was in flight (good for photos).

No use putting it off. I took the basic triggering mechanism off my Gym-E and devised a way of attaching it to the Wingo. Basically, there is a strip of velcro down the center of the cockpit. I cut out a piece of stiff foam that hold the PenCam at the desired angle. It has velcro on the bottom to anchor it to the cockpit, and a strip on the front face to hold the camera steady. The whole thing is secured with the obligatory cable tie.

With the camera this far forward. it's necessary to get the batteries as far aft as possible. I just added and extension to the back of the camera support that keeps the battery in place.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 10:07 PM
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
The ESC wires and battery connection with big fat Dean's Ultra plugs on it, comes down the right side of the cockpit, while the RX sits on the left. I put a short servo extension on the camera trigger servo to make it easier to get in and out of the model.

Got out bright and early this morning while the winds were still relatively light and tried out the setup. The Wingo had no trouble at all lifting the extra 3 oz of camera directly up to altitude. I took about 30 pictures, and they all came out pretty decent regardless of power off or on. The foam and velcro seems to have helped with the "wiggles" problem I had earlier. It looks like I may have the aim a bit low, so I've constructed another mount with a slighter downward angle to try the next time. I think this method could be used to get just about any angle (side, back, etc) that you would want to try.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 10:09 PM
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
Here's a sample pic. Since we've finally gotten some rain, things are greening up a bit.

Karl
Old Jul 31, 2002, 11:02 PM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
Gearbox from SS on Wingo

I have a Wingo and a Soarstar. I learned on the SS but it is now ready to retire. Should I put the gearbox and motor on my Wingo (that has never been flown) or order the one from Hobby Lobby?
Also what about using those 9,6 volt batteries from Radio Shack? Are they OK to use in my Wingo? My son has a ton of them for his RC Trucks.........
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Old Aug 14, 2002, 12:49 AM
Crashmaster Extraordinair
Clarksville, TN
Joined Apr 2002
730 Posts
Well, theKAT, I stole your motor mounting ideas. And I stole the one you didnt mention! You added that small block right in front of the hole to keep the wing from crunching down onto the tube. Im betting that got me an extra 2-3 degrees closer to the correct thrust axis AND wing incidence.
Sparr is offline Find More Posts by Sparr
Old Aug 14, 2002, 12:56 AM
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
Sparr-

I "borrowed" that one myself

http://www.rcmicroflight.com/nov00/lasting_wingo.asp
Old Aug 14, 2002, 03:38 AM
Banbury,Oxfordshire,UK
Joined May 2002
567 Posts
re arial pic

Sure looks a nice place where you live, did you paint your winco? and can you post a full pic of your plane as I like to track down that model in the UK
althulas is offline Find More Posts by althulas
Old Aug 14, 2002, 08:25 PM
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
althulas-

Check this link out. Lots of pictures:

Hobby-Lobby

Looks to me like the kit is of German origin. You should be able to find it in the UK.

Karl
Old Aug 15, 2002, 07:44 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
My Wingo mods

My Wingo has several mods. Seen in this photo I have trimmed the motor cowling back for better cooling. Also seen is the schottkey diode which was not a part of my original installation. It makes the motor run smoother and longer.
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Aug 15, 2002, 07:50 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
My Wingo mods

Seen in this photo, I have made a styrofoam plug for the cockpit area. It is held on with a piece of clear packaging tape. Also note the repositioning of the main landing gear. That is because my wingo is a tricycle gear plane.
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal