HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:31 AM
copertop
United States, MI, Niles
Joined Jan 2003
34 Posts
Discussion
Covering

I have a 40 size RC plane that the tank split and fuel ran into the nose compartment and soaked the balsa. Fuel also ran slightly in some other parts of the fuselage. I set the nose into a container of cat litter and after that I sprayed it with K2R. Currently there is a wax-like finish which I cannot get covering to stick. The balsa is too thin to sand. Is there any way to coat the fuselage with something that will help the covering to stick? BalsaRite is not recommended. Any suggestions?
copertop is offline Find More Posts by copertop
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:48 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,710 Posts
Why isn't balsarite recommended ?
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Sep 16, 2013, 01:46 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,147 Posts
Your "wax like" finish is oil that has not been absorbed. Another dunking in the kitty litter is recomended. You might grind some up by pouring it on the garage floor and scuffing around with your shoes. This will give some "fines" to help with absorbing the oil. The last one I did I let it set for a week, poured out the floor dri and refilled it for another week. Then the K2R. That is as far as I went as the plane went to a new home at that point.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Sep 19, 2013, 08:22 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,719 Posts
Another treatment would be paper towels and heat gun. Heat the wood, when the oil comes to the surface, wipe it off with the paper towel. Use a new piece of paper each time. I just finished recovering a plane that had a fair amount of fuel soaked wood. Even after all the cleaning treatment covering still wouldnt stick. I drowned certain areas with thin CA, then a light sanding to get the balsa fuzzies to lay down again and was able to cover with no problems.

I'm also curious why you cant use balsarite. The only reason I didnt was cause I didnt have any at the time. CA worked in a pinch.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:26 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,177 Posts
Try to find Texsize K2-R.Available in small white spray cans in some markets. It spays on and soaks up grease actually pulling it out of balsa and ply. You have to clean the residue away carefully with Acetone, repeat if needed, and coat area with Balsarite or Sig Stikzit, then apply iron-on covering.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Oct 21, 2013, 07:03 PM
copertop
United States, MI, Niles
Joined Jan 2003
34 Posts
Balsarite & covering

In response, I noted that the instructions on the back of the can of Balsarite, in part, states "In some cases, oil -soaked wood, when coated with Balsarite will not accept iron-on covering". It was also suggested to me to use a very thin layer of epoxy. I will try that next. Thanks for the information you provided.
copertop is offline Find More Posts by copertop
Old Oct 22, 2013, 03:17 PM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,076 Posts
It would have to be more oil than wood for balsarite not to stick.
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Oct 22, 2013, 03:27 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaywood View Post
It would have to be more oil than wood for balsarite not to stick.
I agree.

Covering doesn't adhere well to epoxy, either.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump