SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:59 PM
Genius or Madness?
The Evergreen State
Joined Jul 2007
873 Posts
Discussion
Walkera 4F200 Tx/ESC settings for slow-startup?

Greetings all,

I'm looking for a way to have my Walkera 4F200 have a nice slow-spinning rotor throttle startup upon takeoff.

The Problem:
As it is right now, my 4F200 will not even give throttle response until I'm about 1/4 or 1/3 stick. Once I do get throttle response, my 4F200 will spin the blades quite suddenly and the tail kicks to the side, making my heli do a 180 before I'm even off the ground.

Things I've tried:
I've experimented with the normal throttle curve to make the "2 position" in the WK-2801Pro to be as low as 1%. It will still kick to the side pretty bad unless I make the "3 position" at 5%, which is at mid-stick (originally had it anywhere between 30% and 40%). This really won't do me much good when I try to go idle-up. Ideally, I'd like mid-stick normal throttle curve to be near 50% throttle when I decide to go idle-up, not 5%.

Speculations:
Perhaps this is something I need to program the ESC's settings for? If that's the case, I don't have an ESC programming card, nor have I ever changed an ESC's settings to begin with.

Or perhaps this is just how Walkera helis are? I've had several helis in which I can have a nice slow startup with.
I'll say that this is just a minor problem I'm having with this heli that I'd like to have fixed if possible. It really does fly great when I have it up in the air, no problems.

Comments:
I'm more accustomed to the way Spektrum has their computer radios setup, so the WK-2801Pro is something new to me, but I assume both radios have no differences other than where things are in the menus.

I really typed out a mouth-full of a first post for a minor problem like this one (I tend to do that, and I apologize). My main problem is in the first sentence. Anything after that is just my experience and information for the problem.
Everything on this heli is totally stock.

I appreciate any thoughts on this matter. I've heard more good things about this heli than bad. I'm aware there's a dedicated thread to this heli, but seeing that the latest post is more than a year old, I thought it'd be better if I made a new thread than to try and resurrect and old dead one.

If anyone can suggest the throttle curves they are using for this heli, that'd be greatly appreciated as well.
Necron Xen is offline Find More Posts by Necron Xen
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:12 AM
Deribas05
Russian Federation, Moscow, g. Moskva
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
Абсолютно с Вами согласен. Мне говорили, что исправить это нельзя, но я где-то читал, что esc возможно перепрограммировать, но когда столкнулся с аналогичной проблемой, то не нашел как это сделать. Если Вы смогли решить эту проблему, то сообщите мне, пожалуйста. Буду очень благодарен.
Deribas05 is offline Find More Posts by Deribas05
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:15 AM
Deribas05
Russian Federation, Moscow, g. Moskva
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
Totally agree with you. I was told that can not be corrected, but I read somewhere that the esc can reprogram, but when faced with a similar problem, did not find how to do it. If you were able to solve this problem, please let me know. I would be very grateful.
Sorry for my english
Deribas05 is offline Find More Posts by Deribas05
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:05 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,712 Posts
Walkera's Esc can't not be programmed, you have to change for another brand to be able to program it. Have you tried to change gear ratio if you wants it to start softly. F200 was made for 3D so i doubt that you can made it more docile unless with some mod.As you description, it seems that Esc/RX may have problem or bad configuration. Also, stock motor does have some issue as overheat /bearings premature wear .
AC
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
look for a roxxy 930 esc, it will give you a soft start option
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
Last edited by addifromgermany; Nov 17, 2012 at 03:12 PM.