Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:22 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Rant
Done with Zippy batteries...DONE!!!

RANT ON.
Gotta blow some steam. I am DONE with Zippy. Ordered 3, 3s 2200mah 25c from the USA warehouse. Weight is listed as 173g...which is the same as the last batteries I ordered (from the intl warehouse), but these came in at 195g.

But the weight is a minor issue. I can't use them for the intended application at that weight, but figured I could still use them elsewhere.

I put them on my e-Station Two-Meter to check voltage and balance. Way off balance and way under storage voltage. Ok, no big deal. Cycle them once or twice on balance mode of the charger, right? After about 2 cycles each, only one shows any resemblence of being balanced. This is usually not the case with fresh, brand new batteries. JUNK JUNK JUNK.

I am DONE. I will gladly be paying more for some of the better known reliable brands.

Rant off.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:44 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,425 Posts
I've had many Zippys and have always considered them disposable.
Most have been alright for a while but either end up eventually with dead cells or broken balance wires at the circuit board where everything is connected.

I suggest HeadsUpRC for batteries. They are a about double the price of Zippy but are in USA and only $2.00 to ship.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:06 PM
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Zippy problems.

The advertisement in the thread did give me a bit of a chuckle though...
Stereodude is offline Find More Posts by Stereodude
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:16 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,470 Posts
Sounds like you have an issue with the balancing capability of your charger. Try charging each cell individually through the balance tap as a 1S cell. Simply fashion a .100" spacing pin header and plug into your main charge lead.

Your packs may be perfectly fine and even very good if brought into balance. If you have the means, test for internal resistance and usable capacity. This will tell you a great deal about the quality of a lipoly.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:24 PM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
I posted a thread the other day here about my two zippy 2200 mah puffing up, and near conflagration after a small short occurred across the motor terminals. Also the balance wires broke off in the pack long ago. I like cheap batteries, I did get about 50 flights out of them over a 6 month period before they went poof.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:23 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,203 Posts
Many yrs ago I broke a few balance wires. Since then I tape the balance harness to the side of the batt with hockey tape. Never broke one since.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:38 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
RANT ON.
Gotta blow some steam. I am DONE with Zippy. Ordered 3, 3s 2200mah 25c from the USA warehouse. Weight is listed as 173g...which is the same as the last batteries I ordered (from the intl warehouse), but these came in at 195g.

But the weight is a minor issue. I can't use them for the intended application at that weight, but figured I could still use them elsewhere.

I put them on my e-Station Two-Meter to check voltage and balance. Way off balance and way under storage voltage. Ok, no big deal. Cycle them once or twice on balance mode of the charger, right? After about 2 cycles each, only one shows any resemblence of being balanced. This is usually not the case with fresh, brand new batteries. JUNK JUNK JUNK.

I am DONE. I will gladly be paying more for some of the better known reliable brands.
Rant off.

Just think how bad your going to feel when those expensive ones fail
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:22 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
Just think how bad your going to feel when those expensive ones fail
Right, I realize batteries do fail. These batteries are brand new. They haven't failed, they just appear to be junk. Based on many differences between these and the originals, it seems that their formulation or source changed.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:30 AM
Rugby, UK
Joined Feb 2007
901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Sounds like you have an issue with the balancing capability of your charger. Try charging each cell individually through the balance tap as a 1S cell. Simply fashion a .100" spacing pin header and plug into your main charge lead.

Your packs may be perfectly fine and even very good if brought into balance. If you have the means, test for internal resistance and usable capacity. This will tell you a great deal about the quality of a lipoly.

Mark
Bombay,

Very much supprt what Mark is saying. As I read your original post I immediately wondered if your charger is really balancing properly or whether you have left it balancing long enough. Some chargers just stop balancing at the end of charge whilst others carry on. The process tends to be asymptotic so that the last bit can take hours.
I agree that they should come to you balanced but many do not - don't junk them without ensuring that they will not balance given enough time.

Wayne
Wayne Giles is online now Find More Posts by Wayne Giles
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:02 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Wayne:
Agreed...and I thank you and Mr Forsyth for the suggestion/insight. I am using a Bantam e-station BC6 and a Bantam Two-meter. Both have balancing capabilities. I've attempted to balance on both units. The BC6 continues to balance after charging. You can put a "full" battery on the charger and it will continue to attempt to balance it until it times out. I've done that...several times. Other batteries...although old...still get balanced to a respectable level on this charger.

I will continue to try...
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:18 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,104 Posts
I would also like to comment on the weight ....

175gr is what my 3S 2200's weigh ..... I also have 3S 2200's that weigh 198gr ... BOTH are Hobby King ... one is Flightmax and other is Zippy. I'm not at home right now to say which is which ....

But it sounds like USA warehouse supplied wrong ? Or you mistakenly ordered ?

As to Zippy's - I use the Compacts in many of my models now .... and very happy with general use ......

For me - I really don't have much choice as Latvia is very poor served and any other source is outrageously expensive.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:43 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Hi Nigel:
This is what I ordered. This is what I received. Different labels, same specs. In fact, if you go here and scroll down to the 2200mah 25c 3s Zippy/Flightmax you will see the item that shows the various warehouse flags. The pic shown represents the International Warehouse. If you click on the USA warehouse flag, it shows another pic (although the only difference appears to be the label).

Best I can tell, Zippy and Flightmax are used synonymously. The "zippy" batteries say Flightmax and the "Flightmax" say Zippy.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:48 AM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
Seems hobby king is switching batteries around. A friend ordered a 3300 battery and got a 4000 battery instead last week.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:51 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Hi Nigel:
This is what I ordered. This is what I received. Different labels, same specs. In fact, if you go here and scroll down to the 2200mah 25c 3s Zippy/Flightmax you will see the item that shows the various warehouse flags. The pic shown represents the International Warehouse. If you click on the USA warehouse flag, it shows another pic (although the only difference appears to be the label).

Best I can tell, Zippy and Flightmax are used synonymously. The "zippy" batteries say Flightmax and the "Flightmax" say Zippy.
Oh Dear !! Because Zippy and Flightmax are not same !! One is definitely heavier than other ...

Have you contacted supplier to sort it ? HK have a terrible reputation I know - but they sorted for me OK when I've had problems.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:03 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,203 Posts
I believe the name Zippy is like Ford, with Flightmax and Flightmax Light like Ford T Bird and FordTaurus. Of course they also make Rhino too.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2