SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:26 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Still waiting for these to show up at my LHS!?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Joel, I had the same experience at our lhs.
Yikes, canadian LHS get their stock one month later than anybody else in the world, but if on top of that, they start blacklisting some hobby shops, it could take 6 months before mine get his stock! (It's a very small one, with a low volume). Oh well, I guess I'll have to pass on that one, and wait for whatever will show up in spring now. Unless Seth come up with an indoor replacement for the 300 3D!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:47 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Yikes, canadian LHS get their stock one month later than anybody else in the world, but if on top of that, they start blacklisting some hobby shops, it could take 6 months before mine get his stock! (It's a very small one, with a low volume). Oh well, I guess I'll have to pass on that one, and wait for whatever will show up in spring now. Unless Seth come up with an indoor replacement for the 300 3D!
Funny you mention the 300 3d i trying sell one on ebay its a great lil plane so easy to fly but bad is its a no wind type plane so doesnt get flown much i wont be going to any indoor mets this winter so it sit in its box. This my 2nd i had one got totalled at indoor met when a big foamy landed on top of me found out they had been discontinued not sure why so got on ebay and bought 2 of em one forme one for gf. Mines a lil beat up but still fly great
Hears to hoping the edge comes tomorrow if not be wed or more before get try gf has to work and will have car tues for school
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Sooo Brushless55,,, I have a question for you,,,, if you say you don't believe you necessarily get quality with price,,,,,,, why did you buy a Beemer ????
Cuz it looks bad a$$!
One word... Maxamps -the most over priced packs that don't represent any value
See where this is going
Just because something costs more does not in any way mean better
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:34 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,675 Posts
I tried a GWS 8x4 on all stock setup this morning. Didn't fry anything However it didn't really improve performance either. Had a little more thrust but less speed. To much prop for this motor so it can't reach maximum KV. Great a flying slow though. It might work on the Park 300 or 340 but I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble and money in the end.
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,065 Posts
Hey Joel, on the Heli thing, I probably am not heavily enough engrained in use of the rudder. I try to add it to more things, but if my mind gets in auto mode, still largely ignore it. Was trying to work rudder and elevator into rolls, especially slow rolls, but then got to devoting too much time to the Sbach 3d and it pretty well did it for me, so got real lazy with the left thumb again. Now with the Edge in the fleet and taking first place away from the Sbach, I will start to learn to use it myself again.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:41 AM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
252 Posts
FYI - the 540qq is listed as "BACKORDERED" on the Horizon Hobby website. Maybe they're sold out a first run of planes, and will make some adjustments for a second run.

Maybe.......?
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:49 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk View Post
FYI - the 540qq is listed as "BACKORDERED" on the Horizon Hobby website. Maybe they're sold out a first run of planes, and will make some adjustments for a second run.

Maybe.......?
Not to be an apologist for HH, but my guess is:

They got beat up so much on release dates and non availability, that they really ramped up the numbers for this release. It was likely good to have prepared and sold a lot, but bad because they clearly (IMHO) had some early-production 'teething' issues with packing, testing, handling, and finishing what is in most respects a really fine little plane. When you try to rush or do things in higher volume, issues appear that you did not see in Beta.

If they are wise (and I'm betting they are), they took stock early of what it was doing at initial release, and while if it had just plain old been a poor flyer, then redesign of an airframe would take a while; but since the issues observed and reported most often do seem to be at least manageable, if not easily fixable permanently, then I suspect major batch #2 will likely have far more QC, especially in critical areas like adhesive bonding of landing gear plate, handling the soft foam better in assembly/test/inspect/pack to avoid indentations, QCing paint and such better, etc.

I doubt the next batch of Green Machines will have a totally new prop, but I recall on the Beast we rapidly cycled through V1, V2, V3, and finally V4 as a rolling change on both spares and new product. It needs a new prop.

As to actually changing how hard the foam is to make it more dent resistant.... I just don't know enough to know if they can safely try to do that without potentially impacting weight (density) or other effect (it's nice smooth non-pebbly finish)

Every plane has it's quirks, and some of those quirks can be bad enough to turn it into a 'bad plane' to stay away from. In my personal reckoning, nothing in the Edge is even approaching that level, and if they would just handle them better, and QC 'em more thoroughly, and stiffen the prop, then I think we could handle any other refinements/mods on our end once we get them.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:55 AM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,529 Posts
So what is the consensus on the prop for this plane... meaning as a stock unit, what prop could I swap to and fly? I can tell from looking at the stock prop, it probably isnt going to perform as it should. But will test it out later today.

Wasnt sure what a person could just change out and fly for a prop.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:00 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Not to be an apologist for HH, but my guess is:

They got beat up so much on release dates and non availability, that they really ramped up the numbers for this release. It was likely good to have prepared and sold a lot, but bad because they clearly (IMHO) had some early-production 'teething' issues with packing, testing, handling, and finishing what is in most respects a really fine little plane. When you try to rush or do things in higher volume, issues appear that you did not see in Beta.

If they are wise (and I'm betting they are), they took stock early of what it was doing at initial release, and while if it had just plain old been a poor flyer, then redesign of an airframe would take a while; but since the issues observed and reported most often do seem to be at least manageable, if not easily fixable permanently, then I suspect major batch #2 will likely have far more QC, especially in critical areas like adhesive bonding of landing gear plate, handling the soft foam better in assembly/test/inspect/pack to avoid indentations, QCing paint and such better, etc.

I doubt the next batch of Green Machines will have a totally new prop, but I recall on the Beast we rapidly cycled through V1, V2, V3, and finally V4 as a rolling change on both spares and new product. It needs a new prop.

As to actually changing how hard the foam is to make it more dent resistant.... I just don't know enough to know if they can safely try to do that without potentially impacting weight (density) or other effect (it's nice smooth non-pebbly finish)

Every plane has it's quirks, and some of those quirks can be bad enough to turn it into a 'bad plane' to stay away from. In my personal reckoning, nothing in the Edge is even approaching that level, and if they would just handle them better, and QC 'em more thoroughly, and stiffen the prop, then I think we could handle any other refinements/mods on our end once we get them.
I agree, and with a foam plane, I do not expect a monocote / ultracote smooth finish. But some of the other issues like the adhesive and glue, I do hope to see those improved upon. Right now my right wing is separated on the leading edge out of the box, and the right aileron has about a 1/4 clearance from the fuselage, whereas the left has about a 1/16... dont think it will be noticeable in flight on a plane like this size, but seems a bit odd to not be a lil bit closer in tolerance than that on a $170 foam plane. I am going to call HH today and see what their thoughts are on the leading edge separation of the right wing, at least so its "noted" before I fly.

As far as the "denting" well if it were going to be a static model I'd be more concerned, but really once its in the air, do you see the dents? If they made it less easy to dent, then either it would be heavier, or too flexible.. imo.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:01 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Nope! I'm going to look tomorrow.
did you find the correct blue and green paint that matches ?
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:02 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I was looking at those too. Unfortunately I think the biggest issue is going to be getting any motor mounted. It looks like they've used a custom mount to me.
Can you take the prop saver adapter off the 300 and use the QQ's stock X brace? From the pics online it looks like that will work but I can't tell if they're different sizes.
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:03 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
So what is the consensus on the prop for this plane... meaning as a stock unit, what prop could I swap to and fly? I can tell from looking at the stock prop, it probably isnt going to perform as it should. But will test it out later today.

Wasnt sure what a person could just change out and fly for a prop.
GWS7035 is a bolt-on, and a great upgrade, that works with everything else left stock, as previously reported in the thread.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:05 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
...my right wing is separated on the leading edge out of the box, and the right aileron has about a 1/4 clearance from the fuselage, whereas the left has about a 1/16... dont think it will be noticeable in flight on a plane like this size, but seems a bit odd to not be a lil bit closer in tolerance than that on a $170 foam plane.

Wow, that' a raw deal!

I was very positively impressed with the alignment and fit on all of my own control surfaces.

But given that some have even found the hinges not glued in at all, it's clear there is a lot of variations over different planes, here.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
eflm1920 adapter and apc 7x4e

I couldn't get collet to tighten when using the smallest bushing/locator ring that came with prop.

so I used prop as is---but getting the prop to center correctly didn't work quite right.
prop has more thrust then gws 7035--but was noisy---I think prop wasn't centered on adapter.
the metal nose cone seemed to have excess vibration.

for those using eflm1920 adapter and apc 7x4e--did you use locator ring/bushing?
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:11 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Cuz it looks bad a$$!
One word... Maxamps -the most over priced packs that don't represent any value
See where this is going
Just because something costs more does not in any way mean better
Nobody claimed that a high price guarantees high quality. However - if something is really cheap, there is always a reason. The reasons are typically bottom-of-the-barrel worker pay, crappy worker benefits, corner-cutting in R&D, engineering, and materials, along with cutting corners in production to increase output. Each of has been shown to compromise quality.

As Meatloaf so eloquently put it - 'There ain't no Coupe de Ville hiding at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box'.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker