HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
like a few here you dont seem to realize the 9xr IS a 9x. it is not a new design at all. just a 9x with a few of the bugs fixed (but uglier faceplate). a 9x with dsm module or a 9xr with flysky module are close to the same thing. either way will cover 90% of the models out there at a fraction the cost of any "brand" setup. cheaper AND more flexible.
That doesn't seem to jive with most of the info in this thread. Do you have some basis for this statement?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:30 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
first of all it appears most of the "info" in this thread is not real info anyway. but assuming quotes from hand and gang are reliable what do you think is actually new?

firmware? er9x took care of those bugs a long time ago on the original 9x.

isp interface? morehouse and "core group" hackers fixed that too.

dsm protocol? the orange module for existing turnigy quells complaints from the spektrum fanboys.

so in your opinion the chrome colored plastic is a radical new design? imo a step backward and not particualrly revolutionary engineering in any case.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:36 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,586 Posts
Well, no one is saying that the 9XR is c**p. we were talking about the orangeRX module.
and we were talking about safety. And what I said before was that I HOPE the 9XR doesn't have any of those problems.
when we were flying 35 MHz, 72MHz, etc, we all could see which frequency the others and ourselvers had and ask, use a peg from a frequency board, etc..
With 2.4GHz arrival that is not necessary anymore, hence there is no more education about it.. forgotten.. gone.
Now, if suddenly 2 transmitter modules are using the same GUID, that is a BIG problem as you can't see it until some other model was controlled, or crashed, by it..
Ok, it is very unlikely say the numbers, but don't forget Murphy. He is just around the corner..

I just looked at the picture of the 9XR.. Is it really a direct replacement for the old 9X??
It seems that the 9XR has less switches. Two actually.. but maybe I didn't see it right..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:47 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
well considering the old 9x had too many switches for most users to begin with id consider 2 less another "bug fix". lol!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:49 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
772 Posts
Quote:
like a few here you dont seem to realize the 9xr IS a 9x. it is not a new design at all. just a 9x with a few of the bugs fixed (but uglier faceplate). a 9x with dsm module or a 9xr with flysky module are close to the same thing. either way will cover 90% of the models out there at a fraction the cost of any "brand" setup. cheaper AND more flexible.
It has a different transmission protocol, different casing design, different interface, additional connectors, new knobs and switches....some 9x circuitry and parts might be buried somewhere in there, but there is certainly enough new stuff to differentiate it from the 9x.

My JR radio probably shares a few switches, resisters, transistors, and battery connectors with my futaba...does that make them the same radio?

Quote:
when we were flying 35 MHz, 72MHz, etc, we all could see which frequency the others and ourselvers had and ask, use a peg from a frequency board, etc..
With 2.4GHz arrival that is not necessary anymore, hence there is no more education about it.. forgotten.. gone.
Now, if suddenly 2 transmitter modules are using the same GUID, that is a BIG problem as you can't see it until some other model was controlled, or crashed, by it..
Ok, it is very unlikely say the numbers, but don't forget Murphy. He is just around the corner..
When I was a kid, my dad was big into RC planes. Getting "shot down" (or at least having a near miss until someone realized what they had done) by someone taking your frequency was a near weekly occurance at the flying club. People would forget to take their frequency pin off the board while they were flying, or someone would do a quick range check of their radio thinking just turning it on "for a second in the parking lot" wasn't a big deal. Even with a peg system in place to prevent more than one frequency from being used, I'd say your chance of getting shot down was 100x higher back 10 years ago on 72mhz, than it is now...even if you have 50 of these DSM2 clone TXs at your field at once.

I'm sure at some point, someone will have a story of being shot down by an orangeRX DSM2 module. It's inevitable if they sell enough of them. But that will be one person out of probably 100,000 units sold. I'll take those odds over the old 72mhz system any day of the week.
Chubbs is offline Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:58 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
My JR radio probably shares a few switches, resisters, transistors, and battery connectors with my futaba...does that make them the same radio?
if they also have exactly the same controls, exactly the same processor, and run exactly the same software with exactly the same display screens... then yes.

i guess to less geeky users the chrome is what "makes" a radio. maybe the excitement will die down a bit when it starts to wear or flake off.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:18 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
The 9XR is designed and built by a totally different company. It is Not a 9X. There IS plenty known about the 9XR as the people who have designed it have told us.

And all those who bleat about the GUID I repeat - just point to one example of it happening. I doubt it will ever occur no matter how many units they sell.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:19 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
if they also have exactly the same controls, exactly the same processor, and run exactly the same software with exactly the same display screens... then yes.

i guess to less geeky users the chrome is what "makes" a radio. maybe the excitement will die down a bit when it starts to wear or flake off.
All I am saying is that the 9XR is not better than the 9X. It is simply different.

If you want a DX8 replacement/alternative, the 9XR will serve you well. I love to mod things to oblivion, and the Turnigy 9X already has YEARS of support, mods, hacks, and information behind it.

If you need DSMX because you are invested in it, that is great. But if you are getting it without having DSMX already, there are better options to go.

The 9XR is the more expensive option, and while the backlight and pinout and the DSMX and antenna plug thing are cool, its nothing that I can't already get if I purchased a 9X.

If there is an issue with a Turnigy 9XR, you are going to have a HELL of a time finding what you are looking for. Some people on the web almost literally have the blueprint and the source code for the whole thing to reproduce it, and there are already MANY tutorials on how to do almost anything you need to.

The 9X without the module is also one of the best values you can get in an 8 CH radio!

For many the 9XR will be better, due to the fact that it is simple, and is pretty much a Spektrum replacement. It also looks pretty darn cool. But for others, the 9X would be a better option, because it already has hold in the community.
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:20 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
The 9XR is designed and built by a totally different company. It is Not a 9X. There IS plenty known about the 9XR as the people who have designed it have told us.

And all those who bleat about the GUID I repeat - just point to one example of it happening. I doubt it will ever occur no matter how many units they sell.
But we will never know. Also, I believe that since the codes are in order, and there are only a few different codes in the DSM OrangeRX modules, that it wouldn't affect the Spektrum stuff, only other Orange stuff. It appeares they self generated the codes.
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:27 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotavery View Post
All I am saying is that the 9XR is not better than the 9X. It is simply different.

If you want a DX8 replacement/alternative, the 9XR will serve you well. I love to mod things to oblivion, and the Turnigy 9X already has YEARS of support, mods, hacks, and information behind it.

If you need DSMX because you are invested in it, that is great. But if you are getting it without having DSMX already, there are better options to go.

The 9XR is the more expensive option, and while the backlight and pinout and the DSMX and antenna plug thing are cool, its nothing that I can't already get if I purchased a 9X.

If there is an issue with a Turnigy 9XR, you are going to have a HELL of a time finding what you are looking for. Some people on the web almost literally have the blueprint and the source code for the whole thing to reproduce it, and there are already MANY tutorials on how to do almost anything you need to.

The 9X without the module is also one of the best values you can get in an 8 CH radio!

For many the 9XR will be better, due to the fact that it is simple, and is pretty much a Spektrum replacement. It also looks pretty darn cool. But for others, the 9X would be a better option, because it already has hold in the community.
we pretty much agree on all those points. btw im one of those who "literally have the blueprint and the source code for the whole thing to reproduce it". core9x: building a turnigy 9x clone from SCRATCH:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1631369
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:49 PM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotavery View Post

Actually $54 with module and receiver worth $30 is much better deal than $50 for transmitter only without module or receiver...
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:51 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
That doesn't seem to jive with most of the info in this thread. Do you have some basis for this statement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
It has a different transmission protocol, different casing design, different interface, additional connectors, new knobs and switches....
Check the summary. Anthony Hand said the 9XR would run the existing 3rd party firmwares as is. This implies same processor, same LCD, same UI buttons, same internal wiring, same switch/pot configuration etc.
The hardware looks different, the switches / pots may be physically placed differently on the radio case and the supplied module will be DSM instead of FlySky, but it doesn't make it a new radio.

The main difference with the 9x apart from looks is that it will have a preinstalled programming connector, and thus not require soldering for firmware upgrades, and the 2 trainer ports that were mentioned and seen on the photos.
There isn't much more to expect from it.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:00 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
Check the summary. Anthony Hand said the 9XR would run the existing 3rd party firmwares as is. This implies same processor, same LCD, same UI buttons, same internal wiring, same switch/pot configuration etc.
The hardware looks different, the switches / pots may be physically placed differently on the radio case and the supplied module will be DSM instead of FlySky, but it doesn't make it a new radio.

The main difference with the 9x apart from looks is that it will have a preinstalled programming connector, and thus not require soldering for firmware upgrades, and the 2 trainer ports that were mentioned and seen on the photos.
Ya know, my Windows 7 PC has a keyboard that has the same plug as the one I had on my Windws Milenum PC. The monitor is actually the same one from the Milenum too. Both run the same version of Printmaster and the interface is similar enough that I moved from one to the other with noproblems.

Even my printer stayed the same.

And my friend has a Dell and it runs Windows 7 too. And his has a keyboard and screen that use the same connector as mine.

Must be the same computer with a different case. Right?

NOT!

Our RC Radios are nothing more than special purpose computers. More and more of the parts are from common sources. Believe me, Futaba likely does not manufacture the switches or the screen on their radios, they buy them. So the switches on a Futaba could be the same as JR. And so on and so on.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:07 PM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
Very true plus I think they will be shooting themselves in the leg if using off the shelf er9x. It will bring the radio out of the capability of computer illiterate basic users searching for an affordable easy to use radio with guiding GUI which asks what you want and tells what to do. Flying buddy of mine is such a person and I will never try to offer him flashing his 9x with er9x and take the burden of endless phone calls and ending programming his models for him. He has used his 9x for four years now and can do "something" with it to make some servos move but nothing like aileron differential.

Hard core flyers will NEVER buy it no matter how powerful the software may be. They use their Futaba or JR forever. The 9XR will end up as a cheap toy for experimental fiddlers (which may be like 0.1% of the rc community).

On the other hand HK will have zero software developing cost and free updates and developing.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:17 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Ya know, my Windows 7 PC
You should read up a bit about embedded software development.
Your PC has an operating system, and one of its job is to implement a hardware abstraction layer. Together with device drivers, it makes sure that whatever hardware you have, the program will still "see" the same and will be able to run.

There's no such thing on most embedded devices, including the 9x. The 9x firmwares (open9x, er9x) are distributed as a binary file that is compiled to run on an atmel atmega64 processor, and nothing else. It expects the up elevator trim key to be connected to pin 27 of that processor, the P3 pot to be connected to pin 53, the TRN switch to pin 7 etc.
If you want to be able to take that file, flash it to a 9XR and expect it to run correctly, all these things must be identical.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah