Old Jan 19, 2016, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by brokendiff
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Mar 2015
639 Posts
Discussion
Keeping your umx or micro plane "pretty"

I have owned a Hobbyzone SCS and a few Flyzone Aircore frames now for about a year. I have learned that these planes particularly my SCS gets hanger rash, dirty, etc-etc... pretty easy. I would like to hear other pilot's thoughts on keeping and maintaining a plane as close to original condition as possible. Let's hear them!
brokendiff is offline Find More Posts by brokendiff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2016, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by smittyboy
Joined Mar 2014
1,012 Posts
First off - don't crash your plane, and it will always look brand new, LOL.

Secondly - it's made of very thin foam, so don't man-handle it to death. Be careful with it when you're repairing it (flipping it around). Aside from when you're flying it, treat it gently like a baby!

I've seen planes that other folks have brought out to the field, and frankly, was quite surprised how "weather-beaten" some of them look, and I'm not talking about being beaten up by crashing at all. I saw this old guy bring his planes out to the field last summer, and his white planes were all dirty and yellowed…and they weren't that old. I asked him where he stored his planes and he said he kept them out in his garage. As a toy collector also, I can tell you that any kind of white plastic (or foam) will eventually yellow when exposed to the elements (even in your garage). Aside from the occasional crash most of my planes look nice…and if some of my earlier planes took a severe beating, even those planes for the most part still look nice aside from the area that got damaged.

I keep all of my micro planes in their boxes to protect them, keep them dust-free, and honestly, they are just easier to move around with the box…no sense in throwing the boxes out at all. They protect the plane. As for my bigger planes, I have them hanging from the ceiling by criss-crossed shoe strings (looped under the main wing). They're nice and safe on the ceiling, and I don't have to worry about knocking them or banging into them at all. When I want to get one down, I just use a collapsible step-ladder. I've been into this hobby for 3 years now, and none of my airplanes have hanger rash or are in the least bit dirty.
smittyboy is offline Find More Posts by smittyboy
Last edited by smittyboy; Jan 19, 2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
3,414 Posts
smittyboy, you have just jinxed yourself. LOL!

Anywho, with foamies, if they aren't coated and are bare foam, a coupe light coats of the proper paint and/or water based polyurethane can go a long way to helping to keep the dirt off. Both seal the foam so that stuff can't get lodged in the crevices.

Planes with covering, simply wipe off the smudges. If you are really anal, I guess you could wax them to add extra protection.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jan 20, 2016, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by wdac
The crazy Swede.....
Sweden, Dalarna County, Falun
Joined Jul 2015
1,402 Posts
i painted my Funcub orange, and all i can say that even flying then its snowing have "rubbed off" the paint infront of the wings :P
wdac is offline Find More Posts by wdac
Old Jan 20, 2016, 09:40 PM
Find More Posts by brokendiff
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Mar 2015
639 Posts
Since day one I have not crashed too much, pretty much not at all anymore. The SAFE system really helped me get the knack for flying 4ch. I know it will happen again though. I've just been seeing a lot of nice looking planes around the site and wondered what people are doing to keep them nice. I have noticed my SCS has a good bit of dirt blems from handling it. I may consider the idea of coating my next foamie.
brokendiff is offline Find More Posts by brokendiff