Old Oct 13, 2015, 02:56 PM
Find More Posts by ScottishPilot
United Kingdom, Scotland, Oban
Joined Sep 2014
23 Posts
Discussion
Which Warbird?

Having read through some massive threads in this forum I would like to get a Warbird.
Price is an issue so I am looking at 11-1400mm size , also because of the area available to fly in.
Read good reports about Durafly from HK. HH birds are a bit pricey and not without their problems in my experience.
I particularly like the Spitfire & Hurricane & Warhawk.
Could you guys suggest a good first warbird that will not break the bank?
Cheers
Iain
ScottishPilot is offline Find More Posts by ScottishPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2015, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by WileECody
Genius level noob
United States, UT
Joined May 2015
44 Posts
I have not flown one, but I have heard good things about the Dynam Spit and Hurricane.. I am kind of looking at their Corsair or P47 for my next foam plane.
WileECody is offline Find More Posts by WileECody
Old Oct 13, 2015, 06:36 PM
Find More Posts by Davy101
United States, KS, Leavenworth
Joined Jan 2012
499 Posts
Mid wing designs like the P47 Thunderbolt, the F6f Hellcat and F4f Wildcat tend to be very stable flyers with great manners and ground handling (though the Wildcat can to tough on its wheels). I'd include the T28 Trojan to the 'easier' column too. Intermediate level Warbirds, tougher to master and more likely to bite you, would be the Mustang, FW190, Zero, P38 Lightning. I consider the advanced skill Warbirds to be the Corsair, Spitfire, P40, BF109, Hurricane. Caveat to that is some models out there are designed to fly easier than the full scale plane did, like the Parkzone Spitfire.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Davy101 is offline Find More Posts by Davy101
Old Oct 13, 2015, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by WileECody
Genius level noob
United States, UT
Joined May 2015
44 Posts
The Trojan is a pussycat to fly. I figured the Corsair would be a nice choice for the next warbird due to the dihedral in the wings. Perhaps I will re-eval that and look at the F6F or P47 instead.
WileECody is offline Find More Posts by WileECody
Old Oct 13, 2015, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by SubyDude
Luke A.F.B., AZ
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined Aug 2009
241 Posts
Best plane out right now for price, features, reliability and awesome flight characteristics is HH's E-flite P-47. Get the PNP, use your favorite Rx, and you'll have a plane that, barring any pilot induced incidents, will last for years.
SubyDude is offline Find More Posts by SubyDude
Old Oct 13, 2015, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by JonCM
Joined Aug 2014
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishPilot View Post
Having read through some massive threads in this forum I would like to get a Warbird.
Price is an issue so I am looking at 11-1400mm size , also because of the area available to fly in.
Read good reports about Durafly from HK. HH birds are a bit pricey and not without their problems in my experience.
Cheers
Iain
best flying warbird hands down is the fms 1450mm b25 mitchell. close second is the parkzone f4u-1a but its discontinued.
JonCM is offline Find More Posts by JonCM
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:15 PM
Find More Posts by StangBanger
Smish-smash
Canada, AB, Wainwright
Joined Jan 2015
500 Posts
You'll get a ton of opinions with a question like this. When I went looking for a first warbird the Parkzone T-28 was recommended in almost every thread I read. I did get one but by the time I flew it I'd been flyin smaller, faster, twitchier planes and found it a little tame. But as a first 'warbird' it's perfect.

That said, my vote would be for the ubiquitous Dallas Doll P-51. It has a very wide flight envelope and is pleasing in every way. I removed the retracts for my maiden and hand-launched and I have to say that was the most stress-free maiden I've ever had. Tons of fun at full throttle and it can fly at a walking pace with the flaps down. Apparently the Eflite P-47 is a similar animal but I've never flown one.

Much depends on your field. I have planes with retracts and such but they don't get flown half as much as my belly-landers due to my 'runway' being unavailable much of the time. It's as a belly-lander that my Parkzone Spit excels: I stripped off all the baggage and put a Park 480 motor in it. Gentle as a lamb and majestic. But my guess is you don't necessarily want to tinker. I have a dedicated Parkzone FW190 belly lander with an Extra 300 prop on it and it's a great plane too. Both of those are discontinued though, so that's not much help. That said, with winter coming my Dallas Doll may do more duty as a belly-lander. HTH.
StangBanger is offline Find More Posts by StangBanger
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:43 PM
Find More Posts by F106DeltaDart
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Jan 2011
810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishPilot View Post
Cheers
Iain
The FMS 1450mm P-51B is one of the most beautiful and excellent flying airplanes you can own. It is super easy to fly, has durable retracts and great handling on grass. I would highly recommend it. If you want a hurricane, check out the dynam version. I have heard good things about it, but I would check on the dynam Hurricane thread to see if the owners think it would be a good first warbird.
F106DeltaDart is online now Find More Posts by F106DeltaDart
Old Oct 14, 2015, 01:38 AM
Find More Posts by BenVK
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
1,652 Posts
I think it all depends on how much space you have to fly in and whether you'll have to hand launch it or have a suitable runway.

I have to hand launch where I fly and the 1100mm size birds are fine to do that by myself. I wouldn't want to go any bigger than that though.
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
Old Oct 14, 2015, 03:18 AM
Find More Posts by wrongroad
Australia, NSW, Grafton
Joined Dec 2012
1,277 Posts
G'day BenVK,
You make a very valid point that many seem to miss.

ScottishPilot,
There are many things to consider here and one is the point made by BenVK. How much room do you have to fly in?
A 1400mm warbird is not my choice if you are trying to fly off a football pitch but an 800/1000 mm unit might be the go.

However, basing all on unlimited airspace, A FMS 1400mm Zero is not a bad choice either. It is small ( for a 1400mm bird) very light and quite easy to fly compared to a few others.
Some pilots report a nose over issue but if you can fly off short grass [very short like a cricket pitch] or hard top you should have very few problems on that score. I fly off grass and have no problems provided you taxi with full up elevator and stay thinking about the take off run and landing roll out.
One model that is an easy machine to fly is the FMS T-28 Trojan but if you go down that track, be aware that the nose gear will NOT handle new pilot type landings for long. So buy a spare nose gear unit. It is not a fault with the model [ as some think] but a fault with the piloting skills of the one holding the transmitter. I include myself in that as I have bent my fair share of nose gear in the Trojan.
One thing a Trojan [FMS version anyway] will do is tip stall at slow speed with very little warning so land with a fair amount of speed on. It is NOT a land at walking pace model.
No warbird is.
I would not recommend a FMS F4U Corsair as a first warbird tail dragger either. It has a wicked left turn during take off if you go to sleep on the sticks and once it turns, it has turned if you get my point.
Mind you, I do enjoy flying the machine and once trimmed properly and the CG in the right place, it is a nice model to fly. You just have to stay awake

Regards and respect
Daryl
wrongroad is online now Find More Posts by wrongroad
Old Oct 15, 2015, 02:39 AM
Find More Posts by Shell shock 2
Warbirdman
United States, MN, Plymouth
Joined Mar 2013
316 Posts
Great advice here.So many choices,I shopped by price and H.K is hard to beat.
Looked at the Avios Sea Fury vs Dynam Tempest vs(?) P-51.
I could say Harvard and Dauntless.
Love window shopping.

Question....does anyone have a hard time hand launching a 1200mm bird?
Shell shock 2 is offline Find More Posts by Shell shock 2
Old Oct 15, 2015, 02:51 AM
Find More Posts by Rampage
DFS#000178
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Aug 2005
6,107 Posts
Wait for the 1100mm Mk1a Spitfire from Durafly.

Durafly's P-40N is also gorgeous beyond words.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Oct 15, 2015, 06:19 AM
Find More Posts by BenVK
Joined Jan 2012
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell shock 2 View Post
Question....does anyone have a hard time hand launching a 1200mm bird?
This guy (or is it a girl!?) does just fine with his FW190.
Personally, I try and launch my models at less of an upwards angle and more level so there's less risk of a stall..

RC Hobbyking FW190 1.2m Focke Wulf - hand launch (2 min 14 sec)

I was having a think about how big a model can be hand launched on your own and I guess that so long as you can comfortably hold it in your hand and balance it, that's all that matters really.
Last edited by BenVK; Oct 15, 2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by BenVK
Joined Jan 2012
1,652 Posts
This hand launch is interesting. Looks like he's cut a hole in it or something to place his fingers in. It literally flies right out of his hand but that's probably to do with the strong wind.

RC FMS / Airfield 1400 P51D Mustang - hand launch, windy sunset at Perranporth Beach (6 min 6 sec)
Old Oct 16, 2015, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by ScottishPilot
United Kingdom, Scotland, Oban
Joined Sep 2014
23 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys.
I think it will HAVE to be the Mk1a Spit! It really looks the business at about half the price that Eflite would charge

Now I need to work out if the field is big enough for a Freewing 80mm Intruder. It's grass and about 150m long, surface is pretty smooth.

Cheers
Iain
ScottishPilot is offline Find More Posts by ScottishPilot