Old Jul 18, 2010, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by charlienofun
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2008
376 Posts
Help!
Dragonfly-1 EPP by Red Eagle Model

Hello,

I recently bought and attempted to build a Dragonfly Kit from Hobbycity using components from my very torn up - but still flyable Clouds Fly. I didn't have any washers to set the thrust angle but I figured I could do that after the first flight. Well that didn't go as planned I'm not sure why but It didn't seem to generate enough thrust to stay airborne - that or I just wasn't keeping up and it was stalling and rolling over before I could react... I dunno really still trying to figure it out. I couldn't take off (tall grass) so I had to hand launch, I'll try the other park tonight with a path I can take off from.

Dragonfly 1 Kit
AXN Clouds Fly Powertrain (prop, motor, esc from clouds fly RTF)
Parkzone Blade SR 3s 1000mah lipo (15c)
With this setup it was still way off balance so I added 75grams of dead weight to get it to balance as per manual specs.
Balanced CG at 65mm from center leading edge (as stated in manual)
T9g servos all around
Taped fuselage and leading edges with 3m Packing tape.
Didn't take a video but I will later if I can't find something obvious I have done wrong.

Any suggestions?
charlienofun is offline Find More Posts by charlienofun
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2010, 03:04 PM
Joined Mar 2008
376 Posts
My little scale only goes up to 250grams so I'm having a hard time calculating my auw. I do know I need 75grams ballast (aa batteries In the pics) in addition to the lipo to balance per the manual.
Last edited by charlienofun; Jul 18, 2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 02:27 AM
Find More Posts by G-unit
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
5,563 Posts
Did u get it to fly??
Thanks G
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:26 AM
Joined Mar 2008
376 Posts
G, I have unfortunately not had a chance to get back out to the park with it. I might wait after looking over the specs again I think I need the larger prop at the very least.

Current Setup: (from clouds fly)
Motor: AX-2208N 2200Kv Weight: 40g
ESC: 20amp
Prop: TGY 5x5inch
Battery: 3s 1000mah (Parkzone Blade SR fits perfectly)

Suggested Setup:
Motor : 2208 1500kV or 2205 2600kV
ESC : 12A or 15A
Prop: 7035 or 5030
Battery: 3s 850-1000mah

I also have a spare Tower Pro 2410-9 from my slow stick but its even slower and made to turn a 9-10" prop - I figured the AXN setup was closer to the spec than the TP so I went with it.

So currently i'm running 500kv slower than the recommended motor with a 5x3 prop. If I switch to a 7035 prop I will be running it 600Kv faster than the spec? does not sound much better so maybe I should just order the spec'd motor...

I'd love to hear what an experienced builder thinks about this - Guess I'm just spoiled with RTF's having done all this selection work for me.

Charlie
Last edited by charlienofun; Jul 22, 2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: motor specs
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:45 AM
Joined Mar 2008
376 Posts
oooppps
Last edited by charlienofun; Jul 22, 2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Wrong info.......
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:19 PM
Joined Mar 2008
376 Posts
I weighed everything tonight and the total AUW is 460 Grams. I strapped the motor to my kitchen scale and it makes about 380g's of thrust with the 5x5 prop and the 3s 15c battery. I think I'm gonna order an http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-1529/EMAX-CF2812-Outrunner-Brushless/Detail along with a 7035x3 prop that setup should make 623 grams and weigh 4 grams less than the current motor.

Charlie
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by kaon
Joined Aug 2008
203 Posts
Hi Charlie,
How's the plane doing?
It is tempting...
Anyone else with reviews, tips and powertrain suggestions?
kaon is offline Find More Posts by kaon
Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:09 PM
Joined Mar 2008
376 Posts
Hey Kaon, I changed out the motor (to the one linked above) and did fly it for a few mins before the wind got really moving. It felt very fast (compared to my slow stick and AXN floater jet). Since then I have set the thrust angle better (I think) and setup the ailerons as flaps (they are full length) but I have not had a chance to get out to the park with it since the changes. I really hope it flys better this time. I'll try and take a video of it next weekend if the wind co operates.

Charlie
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:16 AM
Find More Posts by Athensbashing
Athens - Greece
Joined Oct 2010
16 Posts
Dragonfly-1

I just received the Dragonfly-1 from Hobbyking. I use a 1500kv motor and 20A ESC, GWS 7030 prop. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Airplane-1500-KV...item19bbde8245)

I had some problems adjusting the thrust angle. The maiden flight was not successful, the plane landed on a roof as the nose was always pointing upwards. I was lucky and managed to get it down from the roof. The plane had only a small crack where the landing gear is. Very durable plane in general.
Athensbashing is offline Find More Posts by Athensbashing
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:44 AM
Find More Posts by FranklinWalker
Joined Sep 2010
136 Posts
the model looks nice[img]/sig/31/smile.gif[/img]
FranklinWalker is offline Find More Posts by FranklinWalker
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:03 AM
Athens - Greece
Joined Oct 2010
16 Posts
Wings

@ charlienofun. How did you attach the two wing parts? Did you only use glue or did you even use the carbon strips (sharpened them) as it is described in the manual? thank you.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:28 AM
Joined Mar 2008
376 Posts
Athensbashing,
I used the carbon slats and hot glue. If I recall I ended up using the shorter ones in the center section and the longer slats to the end. I setup my wing with zero dihedral and honestly I don't like the way it flew at all. It was really fast with my setup (hardly what I'd call a slow flyer). The last thing I did was reset the thrust angle by shimming my motor mount and I setup the ailerons as flaps. I'm yet to fly it after making those changes. I really hope I can get it flying slower and less twitchy because I wanted to buy a 2nd one and set it up to be broken down for travel.

I'm out of the country at the moment but when I return next week I will try to strap a camera to my hat and see if the changes helped at all.

Charlie
Old Oct 21, 2010, 02:43 AM
Athens - Greece
Joined Oct 2010
16 Posts
Thank you charlienofun.
I made some modifications to the way the wings are connected (inserted between the two wing halves and glued with epoxy the remaining carbon stripes). I am now ready to fly my Dragonfly-1 this Sunday. I will also post video and pics.
Last edited by Athensbashing; Oct 21, 2010 at 02:45 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by Snuffalupagus
Air Strike Inbound!
sesame street
Joined May 2010
117 Posts
how did it go?

contemplating an ultralight setup
on this airframe using some misc parts I have laying about.

I'll use this little guy turning a 5x5 prop on 2 cells:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5453

I use this motor and combo on on my Battle wing EPP combat wing which is AUW of about 10 ounces. and it hauls ass pretty good. (50 mph in a dive)

I'll run a spectrum 6010, 5 gram hextronic servos all around. and a 20 amp ESC I happen to have.

would like to make a slow park floater out of it.

thoughts?
Snuffalupagus is offline Find More Posts by Snuffalupagus
Old Nov 01, 2010, 06:49 AM
Athens - Greece
Joined Oct 2010
16 Posts
I did fly the plane, however when landing it on short grass (with the landing gear) the gear tore up the fuselage. After using epoxy it is like new. I am however NOT landing on grass with the landing gear on again. The foam seams to tear quite easily.