HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2007, 07:40 PM
Santee, CA
Joined Jun 2004
29 Posts
Help!
Multiplex KA6 Canopy repair advice

I have a Multiplex KA6 that I recently purchased. This is a great model, but because of it's age and expossure to UV, the canopy is very brittle. It is complete, but has at least two cracks and if I handle it too much it will crack again. I really dont want to just tape the cracks as they appear (I want it to look good). I'd like to make a new clear plastic canopy, but have never done this. Is this an easy thing to do? I'm mechanically able to do or make whatever it takes to do this. I'm just seeking advice on how to proceed or even if I should. Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric
SilentEric is offline Find More Posts by SilentEric
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2007, 08:49 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,697 Posts
Eric, I may have a spare for that model. I made a plug to pull canopys for the Ka6 eons ago, let me check this week to see what I have in my stash. I live in Orange County so I am close to you. Dennis
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:47 PM
Santee, CA
Joined Jun 2004
29 Posts
Dennis, I am the guy who bought your old Artemis (still flying very well too). I picked up this scale plane after seeing your collection and talking with local club members about scale models. I thought it would be a great way to get an introduction to aerotow and large scale models all in one. This one is in pretty good shape. I'm in the process of recovering one wing (may do the other too) and was hoping to fix the canopy before I take my maiden flight with it. If you have an extra that would be great. I wanted to make sure it was in great shape prior to my first chuck off Torrey Pines. How did you make your plug?

Eric
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:10 PM
Chicago Mayor: A Terrorist
USA, CA, SoCal
Joined Sep 2002
401 Posts
I haven't actually made a spare yet but I did make a mold before flying my ASW-27 and am planning to make more of my other scaleplanes' canopies in case I ever need a replacement. I have used Plaster of Paris for that. Once you have a negative it's easy to mold a positive which then can be used to mold the plastic canopy over. I'd be curious what material people use for that because the pieces hobby shops have are too small for our kind of planes
Once you have the canopy and want a frame, check out this great thread which illustrates how to go about doing that.
On another note, I would always use the old cracked canopy for the maiden flight and put the new one on once I'm sure the plane has no bad habits.
Good luck and post a pic of your plane
Frank
pilotfrank is offline Find More Posts by pilotfrank
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:29 PM
Santee, CA
Joined Jun 2004
29 Posts
Thanks Frank. I always take a picture of my planes before my first flight (usually with me smiling while holding it). I've only had one mishap (caused by my impatience) and I was happy I had a pristine photo of the plane before it became a pile of balsa The thread you linked is great. I had thought about reusing the existing frame after I made a blank, but it may be easier to just start from scratch. Should be a fun task to try.

Eric
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:47 AM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,239 Posts
Eric,

If the old canopy is still serviceable and not too hard on the eye, you can repair it the same way that full scale aircaft do. Drill a small hole at the end of each crack - but you need to ensure the hole is right at the end. Hold it up to a light ans accurately mark the end. This will stop the crack extending further.

You can add some canopy glue to plug the hole if you feel the need.

This will at least keep it from getting worse and give you time to resource/make a replacement.
salisbug is offline Find More Posts by salisbug
Old Jun 12, 2007, 08:07 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
Eric,if you repair the canopy as salsbug sugests you can then make a male plug from cornice cement buy poyring a slurry into the inside of the canopy, no release agent is required but you will have to support the sides and bottom of the canopy to prevent bursting, saw dust works well in a box for this.

Rossco.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:00 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,697 Posts
Eric, or better yet, let me find where I stashed those canopys, or at the worst I still have my plug available. D
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:27 AM
Joined Oct 2004
599 Posts
Dennis,
If you find an extra I would like to purchase one also.
Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is offline Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
Old Jun 13, 2007, 04:15 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
me too.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:00 AM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,239 Posts
Lookout D,

The buzzards are circling above.
salisbug is offline Find More Posts by salisbug
Old Jun 13, 2007, 08:25 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,697 Posts
Look what happens when I open my big mouth! So far, my first stash of canopys has failed to turn up what you guys need, I have another box somewhere with more clear pieces in it, I just need to figure out where it is.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:48 PM
Santee, CA
Joined Jun 2004
29 Posts
I guess this model is (uh, was) pretty popular. Salisbug & Rossco, thanks for the repair tips and plug advice. The existing plastic is repairable, but so brittle that it will break again if I handle it much. Making a plug from it for a new plastic canopy is probably the way to go, plus its a skill I've never done yet so it could be fun (or expensive) to learn. Dennis, if you find the canopy or the plug, I'll take you up on it. There is a local plastic source here in San Diego (Ridout Plastics) that has Lexan sheets, I'm just not sure how thick or how much it will be yet. Need to call them. I have not measured the thickness of the existing plastic, but it looks like it is somewhere between .030 and .050 inch. Should be fun to thermal form.

Eric