HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:00 PM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
914 Posts
New Product
MyTwinDream - 1.8 m Twin Motor Ultra Stable FPV Platform

As the name suggests, this plane has something to do with MyFlyDream FPV electronic systems. It is indeed developed by two enthusiasts - Charles Liang who is the one behind MFD, and his friend He ZhiJie known as Lao He.
At the moment the bird exists in a prototype version and is being excessively tested but the results are very impressive. Besides being super stable it is also quite agile and turns on a dime like a wing.
This week we are going to test it with different motor/prop combinations and finalize a few points about equipment placement after which the plane will go into production.
Hopefully it will enter the market around Chanukah/Christmas.
(I am not a business associate of the makers/sellers of the plane; we happen to be friends and fly together at least once a week, that's it).
Motor type - 2 x 2216 size (internal dimensions; should be something like 2835 by external), KV to be finalized
Props - 8 inch
Wingspan - 1800 mm
Battery - 4 s 5 to 25 Ah
Assembly - central part of the wing with motor nacelles will remain on fuselage and can be either fixed or foldable while wing tips are detachable.

PRICE is going to be in the US$ 150s hence about 10-15 bucks more than what Skyhunter and Talon cost.
Cathay Stray is online now Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
Last edited by Cathay Stray; Oct 02, 2014 at 06:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 PM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
914 Posts
1 - 7 Oct nothing works in China due to national holiday. Shortly after that the PRE-ORDER option will be open at MFD site.
Those who sign up before the official release day will enjoy a serious discount.
Please stay tuned.
Last edited by Cathay Stray; Oct 02, 2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 01:08 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,479 Posts
Looks like a bigger fatter twinstar.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Sep 23, 2014, 01:16 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
Looks like a bigger fatter twinstar.
All planes built by this pattern are more or less variations on the old twinstar theme.
It is not a blind copy though. Much was done to optimize the plane's usage specifically as an FPV platform.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 01:51 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Cool plane , looks like a Twinstar made for FPV , which is a very good idea!
But i wish it was a bit smaller ... its a pain to transport these big planes.
I hate to assemble the plane at the field, i just want to transport it in one piece.
The top hatch seems like a cool feature , probably has room for lots of stuff
But again , I would rather see it in a 1.5m version , much more manageable.
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Old Sep 23, 2014, 02:19 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
Cool plane , looks like a Twinstar made for FPV , which is a very good idea!
But i wish it was a bit smaller ... its a pain to transport these big planes.
I hate to assemble the plane at the field, i just want to transport it in one piece.
The top hatch seems like a cool feature , probably has room for lots of stuff
But again , I would rather see it in a 1.5m version , much more manageable.
Ole yes and no
First, you remember I was toying with an idea of converting a Bixler into a twin engine plane so I was very closely following Charles's steps as he went ahead with this MTD craft. So I can testify: it assembles very, very, very quickly and easily. It is nothing like assembling a Skyhunter (which in fact was the reason why I docked my SH for more than a year).
The middle part of the wing with the motors is normally fixed (you can fold these parts upwards but few will actually need it). So all the wiring is fixed as well; you don't have to plug anything in and out every time at the field. All you need is to slide 2 carbon tubes into the bigger tubes and tighten 2 screws.
Wingspan is something they had to go for to enable the plane to carry 4 or 5 batteries.
We normally test this bird with 10Ah inside, and - I swear, you will be crashed at how slow she can fly and how long she glides, and how tight can she turn.
To my shame I am not particularly good at landings onto confined space, but with this plane it was all to easy: I came in a bit too fast and a bit too high, flew to the end of the strip, turned round and landed on the way back. Only needed some 7 to 10 m to U turn a huge heavy plane!
Wait for Charles to upload videos.
I am sure this one will become my flagship as soon as she is out.
Last edited by Cathay Stray; Sep 23, 2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 03:56 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
I see what you mean .. im sure its much quicker than the SH to assemble (that was a pain, and also the reason why I sold mine).
But I still like planes which needs no assembly , and not have to carry around parts of the wing , carbon rods , screws (if they have to be removed for disassembling the wings) , and screwdriver to tighten them , but thats just me , for someone else that's not an issue.
I know Charles like to do ultra long range fligths , so for that purpose im sure its an excellent plane.
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Old Sep 23, 2014, 04:26 AM
Norway, Troms, Tromsų
Joined Sep 2002
176 Posts
Interesting. I will follow this thread
ron-sand is offline Find More Posts by ron-sand
Old Sep 23, 2014, 04:57 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,217 Posts
Subbed
schumixmd is online now Find More Posts by schumixmd
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2014, 05:40 AM
Joined Mar 2012
90 Posts
Subscribed!!
I see a bright future here.
Japanx is offline Find More Posts by Japanx
Old Sep 23, 2014, 07:23 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,438 Posts
Interesting approach, particularly regarding load-carrying capacity. I do a lot of field work and transport is often by small boat. Ease of assembly and compact packing are big issues for me. How is it on power consumption? Can you get down to the <10 Amp cruise of the Skyhunter? Is it easy to hand launch?

Regards,
JEff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Sep 23, 2014, 07:38 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,945 Posts
This looks very cool....and if it in fact flies as nicely as a "BigStar" should, it will be a winner.

I will be keeping an eye on this one!
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Sep 23, 2014, 07:43 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,772 Posts
If it flys anything like a twinstar (which I have had 3) it will just float out of your hands for launching. Mine will cruse between 5 to 7 amps. I can see where the cf rods go through the fuse being a weak spot. As it looks like little foam holding the wings on.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Sep 23, 2014, 07:50 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
Can you get down to the <10 Amp cruise of the Skyhunter? Is it easy to hand launch?
How small is a small boat? - the plane is, well, more than 1 m long and the horizontal stab is 60 cm, that is what you can't fold up. Middle part of the wing with motor nacelles is also 60 cm; it can be folded upwards but I believe it'd be better to keep it fixed. So it is something about 120 cm long by 60 cm wide box...
- less than 10 A - yes absolutely. it takes in its current setup about 130 mAh/km, which we think is still not little enough so we're trying to find better motor/prop combination. also, it could be lower if we flew the plane in STB mode with manual throttle control rather than ALT and RTH with auto throttle (which tends to pour in some extra power for safety).
- ease of launch - just let it go otherwise it will drag you along. it is a tractor, not pusher!

Jeff I'm not part of this business and I am not trying to sell the plane to you but it really does fly like a dream. I mean I thought that "to fly like a dream" was merely a figure of speech but now I know it actually is the way this plane flies.
I see it being tested nearly on daily basis and I'm getting infected
It is going to be a really good flier.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 07:54 AM
Flying Zayin
Joined May 2012
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y View Post
If it flys anything like a twinstar (which I have had 3) it will just float out of your hands for launching. Mine will cruse between 5 to 7 amps. I can see where the cf rods go through the fuse being a weak spot. As it looks like little foam holding the wings on.
Re. launching and amperage: all true; re. rods/fuselage: I'll point the guys to this question.