Here's a good thread on real vs fake Imax:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1872511
microhelidude is online now Find More Posts by microhelidude
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2014, 01:47 PM
United States, HI, Keaau
Joined Aug 2013
944 Posts
I have been experimenting with a skeg blade mounted to hull just forward of the transom. the ones in the photo below are about the 5th that I have made out of thin polycarbonate used for packaging (the kind that is almost impossible to open).. working on getting the height right for the least amount of drag and minimize rudder interference..

I have shattered a few skegs from hitting submerged rocks but they have also saved my prop a few times.. I have also moved the lock nut ahead of the prop effectively moving the prop back farther into the water about 3/16"..

anyway my current skeg blade is made out of 5 layers of laminated polycarbonate.. in the first photo its about an inch tall the second its been shortened and rounded to about 3/4" which seems to have better performance..

my last run it seems to be working well with less side slipping on sharp turns.. also it seems more stable on slightly choppy water able to get higher speed without too much bobbing all over the place..
mihcmac is offline Find More Posts by mihcmac
Last edited by mihcmac; Oct 22, 2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 04:32 PM
Joined Dec 2007
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcmac View Post
I have been experimenting with a skeg blade mounted to hull just forward of the transom. the ones in the photo below are about the 5th that I have made out of thin polycarbonate used for packaging (the kind that is almost impossible to open).. working on getting the height right for the least amount of drag and minimize rudder interference..

I have shattered a few skegs from hitting submerged rocks but they have also saved my prop a few times.. I have also moved the lock nut ahead of the prop effectively moving the prop back farther into the water about 3/16"..

anyway my current skeg blade is made out of 5 layers of laminated polycarbonate.. in the first photo its about an inch tall the second its been shortened and rounded to about 3/4" which seems to have better performance..

my last run it seems to be working well with less side slipping on sharp turns.. also it seems more stable on slightly choppy water able to get higher speed without too much bobbing all over the place..
Very nice!!!!

Just got a el chepo esc from ebay again. $13 bucks. Works well with my 3700kv motor. No stutter of motor like it did with the original 30a esc i had. I'll waterproof n liquid cool iy next now.

Name: uploadfromtaptalk1414013575249.jpg
Views: 19
Size: 57.8 KB
Description:
Last edited by microhelidude; Oct 22, 2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 04:46 PM
Joined Dec 2007
380 Posts
Got it waterproofed now with liquid tape! This esc don't have reverse.

BTW, feeling pretty buzzed smelling this stuff!!!! wow.

Name: uploadfromtaptalk1414014396365.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 48.0 KB
Description:
Old Oct 22, 2014, 05:28 PM
United States, HI, Keaau
Joined Aug 2013
944 Posts
thinking of trying this turnigy 7.4v 2s 2200mAh 40c 80c burst lipo on my stock ft009.. it should work without frying the rx or motor.. as long as I don't get the rx too hot from pushing 40c, twice as many milliamps as stock through rx to the motor.. I may need to add some water cooling to the power FET's though.. this battery would also require a traxxas to Tamiya adapter..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6_models_.html

Specs:
Capacity: 2200mAh
Voltage: 2S1P / 2 Cell / 7.4V
Discharge: 40C Constant / 80C Burst
Weight: 119.6g (including plug & case)
Dimensions: 87 x 19 x 34mm
Discharge Plug: TRX plug

has anyone used a similar 2s with very high "C" discharge rate on a stock ft009?
Last edited by mihcmac; Yesterday at 02:25 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:02 PM
Joined Dec 2007
380 Posts
Quote:
thinking of trying this turnigy 7.4v 2s 2200mAh 40c 80c burst lipo on my stock ft009.. it should work without frying the rx or motor.. as long as I don't get the rx too hot from pushing 40c, twice as many milliamps as stock though rx to the motor.. I may need to add some water cooling to the power FET's though.. this battery would also require a traxxas to Tamiya adapter..

Specs:

has anyone used a similar 2s with very high "C" discharge rate on a stock ft009?
That can work if u can make it fit
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:40 PM
Joined Oct 2014
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microhelidude View Post
Very nice!!!!

Just got a el chepo esc from ebay again. $13 bucks. Works well with my 3700kv motor. No stutter of motor like it did with the original 30a esc i had. I'll waterproof n liquid cool iy next now.

Attachment 7214967

A non watercooled esc? Are you not afraid that it will overheat?
kristofera is offline Find More Posts by kristofera
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:56 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2014
11 Posts
Quote:
thinking of trying this turnigy 7.4v 2s 2200mAh 40c 80c burst lipo on my stock ft009.. it should work without frying the rx or motor.. as long as I don't get the rx too hot from pushing 40c, twice as many milliamps as stock though rx to the motor.. I may need to add some water cooling to the power FET's though.. this battery would also require a traxxas to Tamiya adapter..

Specs:

Yes I have, they will just fit in the same way as the org. but you need to
1/ remove the battery holder and trim off the lipped end and file smooth
2/ remove with great care.....not removing the seal lip....by filing off a tiny bit along were the battery's end hits boat edge
3/ put some insulation tape over each end of the battery to stop it catching skin on one end and to hold wires down on the other
4/ I all so cut off the lumpy ends of the battery holders for less pressure, or remove
one or both and use a Velcro tie

great 2000mAh + battery .....have fun
Shaky Shot is online now Find More Posts by Shaky Shot
Last edited by Shaky Shot; Yesterday at 12:02 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:17 AM
Joined Dec 2007
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristofera View Post
A non watercooled esc? Are you not afraid that it will overheat?
I got it watercooled also now.
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM
Joined Apr 2014
41 Posts
Quote:

So with the 5 layer laminate of polycarb, are you bonding them together with CA glue, or hot glue,

and you're hot gluing the skeg to the hull?

great idea.

Mahalo for sharing!

have some fresh Poke' for me.
Windy Heap is offline Find More Posts by Windy Heap
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM
United States, HI, Keaau
Joined Aug 2013
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Heap View Post
So with the 5 layer laminate of polycarb, are you bonding them together with CA glue, or hot glue,

and you're hot gluing the skeg to the hull?

great idea.

Mahalo for sharing!

have some fresh Poke' for me.
actually using super glue gel..
the way my skeg is laminated, leaving a hollow, it is able to fit over the short stumpy blade on the hull.. which provides a very good anchor point..

edit note: ... my first skeg's were 2 layers thick and shattered leaving behind the pieces of polycarbonate that was glued to the "stumpy blade", which the remaining polycarbonate had to be cut off to install a new skeg..

fresh poke' is always good.. mahalo..
Last edited by mihcmac; Yesterday at 07:08 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM
United States, HI, Keaau
Joined Aug 2013
944 Posts
Quote:
thinking of trying this turnigy 7.4v 2s 2200mAh 40c 80c burst lipo on my stock ft009.. it should work without frying the rx or motor.. as long as I don't get the rx too hot from pushing 40c, twice as many milliamps as stock through rx to the motor.. I may need to add some water cooling to the power FET's though.. this battery would also require a traxxas to Tamiya adapter..

Specs:

I decided not to buy this from hobbyking because the only shipping available to me was fedex pushing the total cost to almost $50..

instead I ordered a ZIPPY Traxxas 2200mAh 2S1P 30C LiPo TRA2820, from ebay for $25.90 with free shipping..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZIPPY-Traxxa...item1c4676eb15

this one has the same physical dimensions but is a 30c.. I was a little nervous about using a 40c pushing too much amperage for the ft009 and frying something.. the zippy being a 30c will still put out almost 2X the sustained amperage that the stock ft009 stock battery will...

Spec.
Traxxas part no: 2820
Voltage: 2S1P / 2 Cell / 7.4v
Discharge: 30C Constant
Weight: 120g (including wire, plug & shrink wrap)
Dimensions: 87x34x19mm
Balance Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: TRX Plug

I also ordered a traxxas to Tamiya adapter plug
Last edited by mihcmac; Yesterday at 06:45 PM.