HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:38 PM
Estonia, Harju, Tallinn
Joined May 2012
159 Posts
Question
Painting bagged wings

I have cut some foam cores and I'm getting ready to bag the wings. There's just one problem - painting. I do not have the facilities for painting so I'm going to have the mylars or bagged wings painted at a car paint shop.

Which option will give me better results - painting the mylars before bagging like usual or painting the entire wing after bagging?

I have bagged wings with painted mylars before with good results, but I have never painted a "bare" wing before.

Also do mylars and 2K paint get along well together? I've heard that 2K paint needs to be sticky before bagging. If the paint is fully cured than there could be adhesion problems. The problem is that if I have them paint the mylars then I probably wouldn't get the mylars before the paint is fully cured.
martig is offline Find More Posts by martig
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:44 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,091 Posts
Having the paint "sticky" before being bagged sounds reasonable to me and in several ways makes good sense. I've never bagged a wing or painted mylars so do not quote me on the above.

Painting after the bagging process is no different than painting the mylars. Either way will give a nice finish.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:57 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,556 Posts
Martig, as far as paint and the mylar, is not a problem. The mylars are waxed, correct? You are painting the wax in essence, and the mylar has no problems with paint anyway.

Whe were bagging wings, we used good ole Krylon, rattle can paint it worked great. Kept it to lite coats and it worked fine.

And you want the paint dry when you do your lay up work on the mylars, cause when you are spreading out the epoxy, we worked fairly aggressively to get as much epoxy out of the glass. It the paint is sticky or worse, you could have a mess. I would let mine set a few days before I did the bagging.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:44 AM
Estonia, Harju, Tallinn
Joined May 2012
159 Posts
The reason I asked is that I've heard that 2K paint needs to be tacky, not fully cured, when doing the layup. Otherwise there might be adhesion problems between the epoxy and paint.
With regular spray paint this is not an issue.
martig is offline Find More Posts by martig
Old Apr 27, 2013, 01:13 AM
United States, CA, Oxnard
Joined Sep 2006
61 Posts
I agree with R.M.Just use krylon light coats until covered I use it on Mylar's as well as molds lighter and cheaper then gel-coat for doing things like strips light coat of clear (krylon ) let it dry put down colored tissue for your strips another light coat of clear and then back it up with the color paint you want as a back ground the epoxy will stick just fine (krylon) is just a simple enamel and LET IT DRY!! if you know how to deaden tape (masking) you can get quite creative but helps if you spray a good coat of clear before you do your art work just the reverse of base-coat clear-coat for auto painting
bommerglide is offline Find More Posts by bommerglide