SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:51 PM
United States, AR
Joined Mar 2009
520 Posts
Nice job. No vibration or jello in the video. How did you mount the camera?
Randbo39 is offline Find More Posts by Randbo39
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:00 PM
Trees are bad
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2012
127 Posts
Thanks. Camera is velcroed to the battery and secured with one complete wrap around with strapping tape. Props are stock and unbalanced.
Stevez1kart is offline Find More Posts by Stevez1kart
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:33 PM
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
repair questions

Ok had a major crash and one of the rods popped out.

I understand it's press fit. Can I just push it back in or now that it's popped out once do I need to put some glue or something to make it stay?

Also can I push it back in without unsoldering the motor wires? It looks like it's hard to push the rod back in without damaging the wires.

Thanks, Ron
ronrc is offline Find More Posts by ronrc
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:48 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,618 Posts
AFAIK, the arms/rods are press fit to the frame, but they go pretty far in. It's hard to imagine how it popped out. I wonder if the frame is not cracked. Anyway, you should noticed that there is a groove on the top side of each hole for the arms. There's where the wires are run. Take a look at the other arms and you'll see what I mean. So, make sure that the wires are running top side, and you should be good to reinsert the arm.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
Thanks that worked and it looks like it's repaired

That's what I get for letting it initialize on a surface that wasn't totally level.
I won't do that again. Hard to control and worse crash I've had.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
AFAIK, the arms/rods are press fit to the frame, but they go pretty far in. It's hard to imagine how it popped out. I wonder if the frame is not cracked. Anyway, you should noticed that there is a groove on the top side of each hole for the arms. There's where the wires are run. Take a look at the other arms and you'll see what I mean. So, make sure that the wires are running top side, and you should be good to reinsert the arm.
ronrc is offline Find More Posts by ronrc
Last edited by ronrc; Feb 02, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrc View Post
Thanks that worked and it looks like it's repaired

That's what I get for letting it initialize on a surface that wasn't totally level.
I won't do that again. Hard to control and worse crash I've had.

Ron
Now, you could be an Advocate and educate the others of the importance of level initialization.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:38 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
We could do auto flips with our Quads, but not manual loops, or upside down flying. If you want to master those skills, you have to learn how to fly CP.
I should mention that some of the small quads (mQx, Ladybird, SQ1/Alien come to mind) can do manual loops, flips, rolls, back 1/2 flip followed by forward 1/2 flip, etc. as can many of the larger quads (typically with brushless motors).
These quads cannot fly upside down for any length of time (at least not until they start putting collective pitch rotors on them ), so the loops, etc. need to occur quickly so the quad spends little time inverted (where it will start driving itself into the ground).

One thing nice about practicing these moves with a quad is that they are not too complicated to repair (in contrast to all the mechanical parts and alignment/adjusting needed for a CP heli), and the small ones can handle crashes pretty well.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:43 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
I'm on the US west coast as well and I am always a little surprised at how quickly my tiny little orders from banggood get here. I've had 9 days once with the free shipping option. I figure why pay more for something that might not work any better than the free option? This kind of thing is really inconsistent. I have waited over 2 months in the past with other Chinese drop shippers.
For me, Banggood has been gettting orders to me faster as of late than when I first started buying from them last year.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:03 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
I'll also ring the level initialization bell today!! I set it down not thinking and it was half on and half off the manual for the Tx......started it off, it acted all crazy sliding and spinning to the left, I thought I had damaged something but then remembered all the posts here about setting it down level, re-initialized and away it went!!!
dmzim is offline Find More Posts by dmzim
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:22 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
there are a lot of posts on here about how to charge batteries - the lead you most likely talk about is something like this (for parallel charging):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230580978475...84.m1423.l2649

Personally, however, I prefer charging with the Xtreme harnesses (I think that would be called "serial" once you do true balance charging)
Here is my youtube vid on how I do this for the msr style batteries - but Xtreme also makes (an) adapter/harness for JST plug:
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=9446

http://youtu.be/bigKNJDKyeg

Wow, more wires and connectors to charge batteries than the space shuttle has, LOL J/K

But really, why buy all these adpters (multiple adapters that cost the same as several battery packs, that completely out weigh any performance gains witch I will show there are none) just to charge some batteries, this makes no sence??? So we can get some extra data from it? (I would like to see this data and how it's used) and zero extra flight performance from it (charge capacity, run time)?

The video states "the only way is with balance charging" is not true, BUT there is the standard Series balance charging and not so common paralleled balance charging. When you parallel charge, all the batteries are the same voltage (after they equalize in a few minutes), so they are MORE balanced (because each cell is identical to each other in voltage) than series balancing charging and no need for this extra useless data IMO and most balancer's will cut off the main charge current and charge at 300mA to balance charge, so that will take longer to charge than parallel charge method.

Now, if your charging vastly different capacities (350mA to say 750mA and different charge states), then this might make sense, most people will not be doing this, but if you fly to LVC on the X1 (95% of the people), then there is no need to serial charge, even different batteries capacities (say 350mAh to 750mAh) with different capacities will charge together fine, the voltages will equalize and each battery will take what it wants and charge to 4.20 volts and be each will be fully charged and happy (healthy) and balance'd perfectly (as a matter of fact, more perfectly because each cell will be identical to every cell in the charge pack (in voltage), than series charging balance charging can do, do to charger tolerances. As been pointed out, do not plug in a fully charged battery with a drained cell (the full charge battery will charge the dead cell) in a parallel charging setup.

So if you have many batteries, "one way" of evaluating performance is with the er9x firmware on the 9x in real life testing by running each battery and record it's performance. I have my er9x setup so several timers show me how long the Tx is on, how long the throttle is above 1%, a throttle graph over time and a variable timer that shows me % of throttle vs time timer (yes $500 JR 9303 and DX8 do not have this function, LOL), so throttle, zero = zero time added to this counter, 100% throttle =100% time (1 sec - 1 sec), and 50% throttle shows half time (1 sec = 0.5 sec, and everything in between, not even the top Tx does this function, LOL), basically is a simple capacity meter, er9x is excellent!

Cant wait for my 330mm DIY quad with 1KW (around 1. 3HP total) of motor coming from a (relativity light weight) mini 330mm quad, NTM 2826-1200kv and HK 30A BlueSeries (will be flashed to SimonK firmware), KK2 ver1.5 and my FrSky D6FR Rx with telemetry on the er9x LCD.

Comment/suggestions welcome, happy quading,
--Oz-- is online now Find More Posts by --Oz--
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:25 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrc View Post
Ok had a major crash and one of the rods popped out.

I understand it's press fit. Can I just push it back in or now that it's popped out once do I need to put some glue or something to make it stay?

Also can I push it back in without unsoldering the motor wires? It looks like it's hard to push the rod back in without damaging the wires.

Thanks, Ron
Hi Ron,

there is relief for the motor wires on the frame if the wires are on top of the boom.

Oz
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:28 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzim View Post
I'll also ring the level initialization bell today!! I set it down not thinking and it was half on and half off the manual for the Tx......started it off, it acted all crazy sliding and spinning to the left, I thought I had damaged something but then remembered all the posts here about setting it down level, re-initialized and away it went!!!
This is a common mistake, i see all the time, good perception of what happened!

Oz
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:28 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboost View Post
Sorry for the question guys, but i got this battery from a Syma S113g Apache. According to specs, its at least a 500mah battery, maybe 600mah, and i wanna use it with my X1 that just arrived today.

Im a noob at this hobby, but trying to learn as fast as possible, but do u see in the pics below if the battery has an OCP? or do i have to charge the battery on the Apache to be safe?

Thanks guys
OMG, Tboost, I didn't realize this before, but I have the same FullyMax battery (701855XL). Mine says 500mAh on it. I used it on my X1 the other night and it gave me 10.5 minutes of flight. Mind you that mine is an old, old battery that came with a used helicopter I bought. I think the last owner did something to it. It has no OCP on mine, because the last owner removed it, I think. The battery terminals and connecting wires were wrapped with band-aid. LOL. But I couldn't believe how well it is still performing.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:32 PM
United States
Joined Mar 2006
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
For me, Banggood has been gettting orders to me faster as of late than when I first started buying from them last year.
Good to know, I ordered the 5x 600mA Tiger batteries on 1-29-2013, but hearing the ~20 day delay, I ordered some 750mA batteries from HK USA. Will fill you in of the shipping time.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:36 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Hey if anyone in the Portland OR area wants to join me, I am meeting some other flying buddies at Portland International Raceway tomorrow morning around 10 AM. We meet in the lot next to the gate and fly over the grass field to the west. I will bring my 9X radio and if you don't have one but would like to see how it works with your X1 you could try it out. If I get my act together tonight I may have some FPV gear ready too.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357