SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:16 AM
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Apr 2012
111 Posts
Great advice Dereck and you are right about a few people, as I always seem to be much calmer when there are less people at the field (less stress).
mustangherb is offline Find More Posts by mustangherb
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:32 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I've always been lucky and flown at clubs that were happy to land, clear up the sky and then watch the maiden flight of a model. Okay, the peanut gallery gets bigger, but you have the sky to yourself.

Last thing you need is some tonker with a noisy model beating up the strip just after you've got to height on your model's first flight.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:21 PM
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined Mar 2009
123 Posts
The plane looks great. Can't wait to hear how the maiden goes.
I'm wondering if your bit of extra weight may have come from the landing gear. That's an awesome gear but I bet it's a bit heavier than the factory gear.
Remember the Cub rule. Keep it on the ground until you have lots of speed. A Cub will snap onto it's back and hit the ground if you yank it off the ground before it gets air speed. I know, it cost me a new cowl and windshield.

Dave
Detroit Dave is offline Find More Posts by Detroit Dave
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:40 AM
Joined Apr 2012
111 Posts
Landing Gear

Hey Dave,
You are probably correct that at least some of the extra weight came from the landing gear. I purchased the landing gear for an E-Flite 25e and they were a perfect fit. As far as the Cub rule goes I was not aware of it, but I have been in the hobby for only 9 months. I will definitely keep that in mind during the maiden flight.
Bill
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:47 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
On the other hand, when I test flew my Sig 1/5th Cub, I'd done all sorts of Hard Mathematics and fitted it with a 20 cell battery - it was built in pre-historic times.

Flight one, I opened her up into a slight breeze straight down the runway, she took off in about three feet before I got the taps fully open. Spent a week or so test flying at minimal power settings before reducing the battery from 20 to 16 cells - and even that 20% voltage reduction while keeping the 16 x 8 prop left her with an amount of power that could be embarrassing if not kept in check.

One has to keep a very open mind when test flying a model that's been diddled around with some.

Love the landing gear. Both My Sig Cubs were built with the kit wire gear, as they were for construction/conversion review articles. They didn't look as good and were too bouncy for real comfort. If I ever build another Cub around this size, which I could, it'll get the E Flite or some similar UC. If desperation sets in, I have an article on how to build an undercarriage like the Cub's from wire and brass tube.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:05 AM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,066 Posts
Can someone measure the wing dihedral (full size wing - not clipped) please?

I just bought started kit for cheap but it's a real mess... I had to separate the wing halves because of poor initial construction.

I do not have the guages that came with the original kit.

Thanks!
Trent
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:29 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,423 Posts
Your Cub looks great! Well done. I love mine...but it's an ARF so not nearly as 'cool' (still, it's my favorite airplane to fly). I'd have a hangar full of Cubs of all sizes and mods if I wasn't limited by space and the desire to try other planes. Everyone needs a Cub!
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:10 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,561 Posts
[QUOTE=blunight;24051194]Can someone measure the wing dihedral (full size wing - not clipped) please?

I just bought started kit for cheap but it's a real mess... I had to separate the wing halves because of poor initial construction.

I do not have the guages that came with the original kit.

Thanks!
Trent[/QUOTE

Here is the gauge, the short edge is 1 1/2"

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/scanvl.jpg/

Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:22 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,066 Posts
[/QUOTEHere is the gauge, the short edge is 1 1/2"[/QUOTE]

Kimber,
Just to be clear...the distance from the bottom of the 5th rib in from the wingtip to the table would be 1.5", correct?
Thanks
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:37 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
[/QUOTEHere is the gauge, the short edge is 1 1/2"
Kimber,
Just to be clear...the distance from the bottom of the 5th rib in from the wingtip to the table would be 1.5", correct?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

No, did you get the manual? The square notch in the gauge
supports the LE and TE of the wing at the fifth rib.
So it would be the height of the notch at the fifth rib.

It looks like 15/16th from the bottom of the wing to the
table.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:27 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,066 Posts
Kimber,
I'm glad I asked!

OK once more before I get serious with the glue....

In the photo below the wingtip is 1.5" above the floor. This makes the bottom of the fifth rib 15/16th above the floor.

Is this correct?

Thanks!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:33 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
Kimber,
I'm glad I asked!

OK once more before I get serious with the glue....

In the photo below the wingtip is 1.5" above the floor. This makes the bottom of the fifth rib 15/16th above the floor.

Is this correct?

Thanks!
Brad said it looks good, measure twice, glue once.

Because the wing is fairly wide, check both ends so you
don't get any twist. Cut a couple blocks just to be sure.

Both ends of rib #5 that is!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
111 Posts
Trent (blunight),
Here is a drawing of the dihedral gauges with dimensions and pictures of the actual gauges.
Name: IMG_1784.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 140.2 KB
Description: Name: IMG_1785.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 129.5 KB
Description: Name: IMG_1786.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 145.1 KB
Description:

Forgot, the total height of the gauge is 1-9/16" and that would raise the wing to a height of 1" at the 5th rib in from the wing tip.
Last edited by mustangherb; Feb 06, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangherb View Post
Trent (blunight),
Here is a drawing of the dihedral gauges with dimensions and pictures of the actual gauges

Forgot, the total height of the gauge is 1-9/16" and that would raise the wing to a height of 1" at the 5th rib in from the wing tip.
WOW! Thank you for the detailed drawing - I've got a lot of scrap plywood with which to make one...this broken old kit may fly yet.

Trent
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:09 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,066 Posts
Flaps

Does anyone here have experience converting this J3 to a Super Cub?

I'm trying to decide how long the flaps should be...so far all I've been able to come up with is using the Eflite 25e Cub as an example. It's flaps are 60% of the total available control surface area. (ailerons 15 5/8'", flaps 10 3/8")

On my CG Cub the total available control surface area is 28 1/2"...so using 60% gives me -

Ailerons: 17"
Flaps: 11 1/2"

Anyone with any suggestions? Comments?
Last edited by blunight; Feb 08, 2013 at 09:15 PM.