HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:22 PM
I know nothing about RC
United States, NY, Northport
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
What do you guys do with your Old RC Toys?

Hello Everyone This is my first time posting here. I was curious what do any of you guys do if you find any unused Radio Shack 4x4's that does not now have the transmitter? In addition I have a Tyco RC Hovercraft with a Transmitter. They look great and used to run great. I have got new NiCD packs and they turn on and lights and the hovercraft rises. I just have no way to control and handle them all. I know you can tell by the nature of this question that I am definite noob to RC. I only have been flying a Blade micro quad copter. If anyone can please offer any suggestions on how I can enjoy these toys again. Please let me know and I Thank You Very Much in advance.
Sherlock221B is offline Find More Posts by Sherlock221B
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:42 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
If you want to put in the money and effort, you could probably retrofit them with industry-standard components (ESCs, radios, servos). You'd end up with vehicles that are better than they were when they were brand-new.

Other than that, they're mostly just paperweights. You might be able to find original transmitters for them on eBay or something, but I doubt there's much of a supply out there.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:29 AM View Post
barry3065
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. Show it to me anyway.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:28 PM
Queens, NY and sometimes Orlando, FL
Joined Sep 2003
329 Posts
EBay or Craigslist I say

Store brand R/C's just aren't worth keeping, but there always folks out there looking to either kit bash for scale hobby projects and even some that want to relive a childhood experience

That's the way I felt about this inflatable Radio Shack robot lol

I remember begging my dad for one when I was 3 years old

30 years later, I picked this one up off of EBay and had my fun with it, but soon realized the party was short lived, so back on sale it goes lol

Intergalactic Tandy Bot (3 min 38 sec)

http://orlando.craigslist.org/tag/3294946213.html
98 SNAKE EATER is offline Find More Posts by 98 SNAKE EATER
Old Jun 12, 2014, 07:17 AM
Joe_Crash
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Oct 2010
441 Posts
I usually try to sell it, at a steep discount from what I paid. I had some ... guy ... try to lowball me, one offer after the other, about 3 or 4 times before I sent an email, breaking down the price of of each component, leading to what I was asking, and that I was losing $$ on the deal. His reply? "Yeah, but YOU didn't pay that!" in such a manner that was totally condescending. He was promptly blocked from sending me mail.
That reminds me, I have most of the parts of a Trex 450 to list today!
joe_crash is offline Find More Posts by joe_crash
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:34 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,698 Posts
My kids had these great cars that had rear axles on a swivel and drove like a tank and they would flip and spin and do all kinds of tricks. Very fun on the tile floor. Then my little girl put it on the table and left there powered on while she tried to drive another car also on 27Mhz. It drove off the table and broke. Of course it went in the trash. Shame, it was a very fun toy for them. Would like to find another one.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:29 AM
Petagas, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Joined Sep 2003
504 Posts
Refurbishing old RC toys

I bought a few RC toys for their scale beauty as well as RC fun.
However their radios and servos are not standard so hard to repair.

The weakest link was their batteries. These Nickel Cadmium batteries do not last long and will lose power after a short time making their fun factor less.

LiPo batteries should be better. They are lighter and smaller and drive harder.
I just tried a 160mAh 2S LiPo on a toy RC trawler. I like it because its transmitter is small and uses a single 9V battery. Range is not critical for such toys.
I used to suspect that the receiver is faulty after more than 10 years but they still function properly. Probably it was due to weak batteries that made some receivers fail.

These toys RC tend to use vectored thrust. It is the cheapest but I realise that I can simulate it using a standard RC radio, now that the price of RC radios have gone down a lot. A 6 channel 2.4G from Hobby King can be bought for US26 with 6 ch receiver. A 4 ch costs US21. I intend to buy a few more, one for each toy or RC device instead of sharing.

These toys use brushed motors that tend to be reliable. They should not break down drastically. I suspect it was my batteries that made them look weak after just a few hours.

I have a winged swedish speed boat that is 2 feet long, that I consider very big because it occupies too much space. Its receiver is damaged probably because of water corrosion but it could be due to just wrong battery. Too late now, because the receiver is thrown away as well as its transitter.

Being a vectore thrust boat with 2 motors, left and right, I think I just use left and right channel, throttle and elevator instead of mixing. No Tx programming required.

One hoverraft about 1 foot long but can actually hover and look like real hovercrafts need refurbishment. Receiver is clearly rusted because of leaks. The seals are reasonably good but there is a potential leak because of the requirement for a manually adjusted lift fan through a potentionmeter. This should be sealed completely because it is not longer required.

For the hovercraft, it requires 3 channel to control the 3 motors. Again, for steering use throttle and elevator. For the lift fan, just use either channel 5 or 6 which has a potentiometer style knob at the radio TX.

The motors are all brushed. Luckily I bought a few 10A brushed ESC just for this type of modification.
othmanskn is offline Find More Posts by othmanskn
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:43 AM
Joined Sep 2003
504 Posts
Modifying RC toy cars

Cars that are 6 inches long are hard to modify. I used to have them but don't know where they are now. Damaged beyond repair so were thrown away. Their scale work and construction are not impressive because they are just too heavy with thick but fragile plastics.

The bigger RC toy cars use a light cover, just a molded transparent plastic thin sheet, that can simulate wind screen in one piece. Very durable as well. They don't use thrust vectoring so need servos to move the steering wheels, using connectors, or horns, connecting rods etc. We also need to use the correct servo arm. There are so many ways of connecting these servos. For a 1 ft long RC car, I suspect, 1/18 scale, we cannot use one 9g servo. Even a 17g servo as I had found out. I need to try the standard servo, the 34g. The original toy car had a large custom servo.

For this I intend to use the throttle for the ESC, rudder for the steering or just changing the servo wire connection, to the aileron so that we can control with two hands.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 09:01 AM
Joined Sep 2003
504 Posts
Testing old RC Trawler

Tested it using 1S 950mAH batteries in series.
Lasted for around 30 minutes, and on charging, indicator shows 3.87V, initial charging voltage, total 626mAH charged. The low voltage alarm didn't sound, I stopped because it was getting too dark.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 09:46 AM
Joined Sep 2003
504 Posts
Toy RC Trawler at Taman Tun Fuad lake, Likas. (0 min 28 sec)

Look at a video of the RC Toy trawler.
Thrust vectoring may not be smooth but it is effective.

It is extremely economical. TX battery is the standard dry cell 9V battery. It lasted for more than an hour already.

Range, not sure, I didn't test, but I don't like to let it move too far from shore. Too small to see and enjoy the RC object under control.

The size of this trawler is around 1 foot. Big enough to put a camera for FPV at a lake.

Since I don't intend to spend too much time playing with it, there is no incentive to convert to brushless motors.

As it is, it is fast enough. It is a trawler after all.

After this, it will put back to the display cupboard for my nephews and nieces to enjoy. Soon my grand children and nephews.
Old Oct 05, 2014, 05:36 PM
Joined Jul 2014
14 Posts
I have a "small" collection of New Bright and Radio Shack vehicles. Mostly Hummers. The ones bout two feet long.

Had in mind what I call Hummer bashing. Retrofit with proper receivers, servos, ESC, batteries. Add a ittle weight. And run them full speed into each other. Last one still functioning is the winner!

Only got to do one of them. Couldn't find anyone else to take up the challenge! :-(

DOC

Have robots. Will travel.
http://www.robot-one.com
chickenLittle is offline Find More Posts by chickenLittle
Old Oct 08, 2014, 12:46 AM
Joined Sep 2014
39 Posts
wow,refurb the old one and collect them and deliver it to my boys,haha
smartwinner is offline Find More Posts by smartwinner