HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:16 PM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVProducts View Post
They are here and are shipping today the first 75 going out today. If you ordered before May 24th you will be on the first batch. 2nd 200 coming next week.

Sorry can't get to every email about when they were ship. You will get shipping Tracking #.
Hi Robert, my friend is trying to get a couple for me from San Francisco and he was not able to complete the order. Is it any problem with your website with paypal? Let me know and I will tell him, he is bringing to me in hands this 3rd july, hope you can send it to him before 1st July, that is the date that he leaves USA.

Thanks, Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
I fly my NAZA F450 FPV in MAN mode 99% of the time. I've experienced crashes recently that were a result of both video feed failure / interference and RC signal loss. I'd like to upgrade to the NAZA GPS primarily for the RTH function during these type of occurrences.

I am using a DX6i with a Spektrum AR6210 for my quad, which does not have a 3 position switch for MAN, ATT, GPS modes.

I have 3 questions that perhaps someone familiar with the NAZA GPS can answer:

1. Since I fly almost always in Manual and really just want the GPS mode functions of PH (i.e. when having to take my eyes off the monitor if I'm interrupted by a pedestrian) and RTH (during failures), can I program a 2 position switch to just MAN / GPS without ATT? And if so, is there a downside to doing it this way other than losing the ATT function? I'd like to avoid buying a new transmitter if possible.

2. Also, the DX6i has the Smart and PreSet failsafe functions built into it that defaults to pre-programmed throttle and control settings in the event of an RC signal loss. How does the NAZA GPS recognize the signal loss and override the Spektrum receiver's (AR6210) failsafe initiation and fly the NAZA RTH profile?

3. With the DX6i, can I program a separate switch (i.e. the throttle hold switch) to immediately initiate GPS failsafe / RTH while flying in MAN mode in the event of an FPV video failure?
azure is offline Find More Posts by azure
Last edited by azure; Jun 08, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:41 PM
USA, VA, Merrifield
Joined Jun 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
I have 3 questions that perhaps someone familiar with the NAZA GPS can answer:

1. Since I fly almost always in Manual and really just want the GPS mode functions of PH (i.e. when having to take my eyes off the monitor if I'm interrupted by a pedestrian) and RTH (during failures), can I program a 2 position switch to just MAN / GPS without ATT? And if so, is there a downside to doing it this way other than losing the ATT function? I'd like to avoid buying a new transmitter if possible.
When setting things up you'll use the 'TX Monitor' screen in the setup program to see what signals your radio is sending to the Naza (see attachment). You can tweak these values in your radio and within the program to achieve the result you're looking for. It's also nice to use this screen to ensure you're properly setup for failsafes (ie turn off the TX and make sure it goes into failsafe on the screen)

During the setup you'll define the switch positions that correspond with each flight mode (see box 5 in the attached screenshot). You should be able to adjust your radio settings to align them to MAN and GPS, and leave the ATT out. I *think* that should be ok. To enable the compass calibration procedure you need to toggle from position 1 to position 3 very rapidly, but in this case I think it's just toggling between MAN and GPS, no ATT position required.

Quote:
2. Also, the DX6i has the Smart and PreSet failsafe functions built into it that defaults to pre-programmed throttle and control settings in the event of an RC signal loss. How does the NAZA GPS recognize and override the Spektrum receiver's (AR6210) failsafe initiation so that it flies the NAZA RTH profile without defaulting to the DX6i failsafe profile?
I don't know too much about the DX6i failsafes, but you'll need to set your failsafes to fall into the failsafe range the Naza will be expecting. You can see this in box 5 on the TX Monitor screen as well. So if you set the failsafe of your switch channel to fall into the fail-safe range on the TX Monitor screen, you should be set.

Quote:
3. With the DX6i, can I program a separate switch (i.e. throttle hold switch) to immediately initiate GPS failsafe / RTH while flying in MAN mode in the event of FPV video failure?
Not sure about this, but theoretically you could simply turn of the TX.

Again, you can use the TX Monitor screen to make sure the Naza will be doing what you want it to do.
signal7 is offline Find More Posts by signal7
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:48 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,950 Posts
My GPS is on the way!

I also got Robert's USPS shipping notice today.
Boy, I'm I ready for this new feature...
I have to add though that set up properly, flying in no wind, atti mode will keep my Naza close to the same ground point location.
Many of my flying buddies think I already have GPS.
I still think the Naza is the best controller out there for learning the trade.
What I'm keen on about having GPS is RTL, flying in strong winds, & being able to be preoccupied with shooting GoPro video and not getting disoriented.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lipo Removal
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:13 PM
BldrFlyr
Joined Jan 2012
87 Posts
Where can I buy a GPS unit today?

CD
Fstclyz is offline Find More Posts by Fstclyz
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:20 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,405 Posts
Got my shipping notice as well. will be having some fun with this stuff next week.
tc3wins is offline Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:55 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
They really need to create a Naza + GPS package for a little less than both.
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:59 PM
USA, VA, Merrifield
Joined Jun 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstclyz View Post
Where can I buy a GPS unit today?

CD
This is my guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Module-f...item3376894296

He's local to me so I deal with him in person. I can vouch for them, and they do have some left in stock (they just got them in this morning).
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal7 View Post
During the setup you'll define the switch positions that correspond with each flight mode (see box 5 in the attached screenshot). You should be able to adjust your radio settings to align them to MAN and GPS, and leave the ATT out. I *think* that should be ok. To enable the compass calibration procedure you need to toggle from position 1 to position 3 very rapidly, but in this case I think it's just toggling between MAN and GPS, no ATT position required.

I don't know too much about the DX6i failsafes, but you'll need to set your failsafes to fall into the failsafe range the Naza will be expecting. You can see this in box 5 on the TX Monitor screen as well. So if you set the failsafe of your switch channel to fall into the fail-safe range on the TX Monitor screen, you should be set.

Not sure about this, but theoretically you could simply turn of the TX.

Again, you can use the TX Monitor screen to make sure the Naza will be doing what you want it to do.
Signal7 thanks for taking the time for such a detailed response.

It's very similar to how the NAZA is programmed currently using the TX Monitor in the Assistant software, but with the added GPS category. I adjust the values of my two available switches to fall into the desired 2 categories, in this case GPS and M. So, that part makes sense.

But this is what I'm not understanding: Currently, with my non-GPS NAZA, when I turn off the DX6i, the blue highlight on the bar switches from either M or A to FailSafe. This failsafe indication appears to have no NAZA function, but the Spektrum receiver initiates either "Smart Failsafe" or "Preset Failsafe", depending on what's been set. Now, with the new NAZA GPS module, what would keep the Spektrum receiver from going into "Smart Failsafe" or "Preset Failsafe" when it senses a loss of signal and overriding the NAZA GPS's ability to fly the RTH profile?
azure is offline Find More Posts by azure
Last edited by azure; Jun 08, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:06 PM
USA, VA, Merrifield
Joined Jun 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Signal7 thanks for taking the time for such a detailed response.

It's very similar to how the NAZA is programmed currently using the TX Monitor in the Assistant software, but with the added GPS category. So, that part makes sense.

But this is what I'm not understanding: Currently, with my non-GPS NAZA, when I turn off the DX6i, the blue highlight on the bar switches from either M or A to FailSafe. This failsafe indication appears to have no NAZA function, but the Spektrum receiver initiates either "Smart Failsafe" or "Preset Failsafe", depending on what's been set. Now, with the NAZA GPS module, what would keep the Spektrum receiver from going into "Smart Failsafe" or "Preset Failsafe" when it senses a loss of signal and overriding the NAZA GPS's ability to fly the RTH profile?
I'm not too sure how Spektrum does their failsafes, but can you simply store the failsafe setting in the receiver? On my Frsky receiver I set the TX to push out a recognized failsafe value on the flight mode channel, then set that as the failsafe on the receiver. Now the receiver remembers to send that value when the signal is lost. After that, I went along and reprogrammed everything else in my TX, since it's really the receiver storing the failsafe value.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:09 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,950 Posts
Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
They really need to create a Naza + GPS package for a little less than both.
They probably will, but not while we're gobbling them up individually.
Like I previously posted, the Naza alone is super stable if set up correctly.
Remember why anyone is in business...

1.To make $.

If you can't do #1, you won't be around to do #2...

2.Satisfy your customers.
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2 Lipo Removal
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:12 PM
USA, VA, Merrifield
Joined Jun 2008
233 Posts
When I was setting up my WKM I used this video:
DJI F550 Flame Wheel feat. Wookong M + NAZA Video-Tutorial/ Review (46 min 15 sec)

The video is quite long, but now that the Naza has very similar functionality it might be worth watching (but note that there are no IMU offset settings for the Naza, just compass/gps). You can just skip the F550 build portion...
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
Will My Stuff Work?

I see lots of guys asking if this radio or that one will work with the added requirements of the new GPS. It is starting to make me wonder.....??
I am gathering all the goodies I need right now. I bought a very nice Hex Spider frame from DialFozo or something like that. Then I grabbed a DJI FlameWheel F550 ARF kit with the NAZA FC. I intend to build the plastic F550 and do most of my crashing with that. Then move all electronics to the spider. I did order a GPS (on May 25th!) so it will come with second batch. No problem as I still haven't made up my mind on what batteries to buy. I'm thinking 4S for a Hex. Sound right?

Anyway to my point: I bought a very lightly used Futaba 8FG TX and a brand new
R2008SB rx. I intend to use the S-Bus feature. My TX came with a very thick book!
I try reading it, but don't get far and doze off. Anyway, my TX has more switches and knobs than my car has. So I am going to assume it can handle this added chore. The TX can be upgraded for free to 14 channel if I need to. It is the rx I am worried about. Is 8 channels enough for all the different modes and still have a switch or two left for LED lights, or to tilt a camera?

Please use simple terms when explaining due to my "Noobness".

One last question: Where does everybody buy the liquid flux I see in the assembly videos? I'd appreciate a name and a place to buy it. Thanks all.
brown_pig is offline Find More Posts by brown_pig
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:18 PM
USA, VA, Merrifield
Joined Jun 2008
233 Posts
Yes 8 channels is plenty, here's the wiring diagram from the manual.

You'll have 1-3 channels left over depending on if you use X1 and X2.
Last edited by signal7; Jun 08, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:21 PM
Brasil, CE, Fortaleza
Joined Jun 2011
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauromassari View Post
Hi Robert, my friend is trying to get a couple for me from San Francisco and he was not able to complete the order. Is it any problem with your website with paypal? Let me know and I will tell him, he is bringing to me in hands this 3rd july, hope you can send it to him before 1st July, that is the date that he leaves USA.

Thanks, Mauro
He just got 2, hope he will get before 1st july. Can you confirm that to me Robert please?

Thanks, Mauro
mauromassari is offline Find More Posts by mauromassari