SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:43 PM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
152 Posts
Just a few days before heading to Muncie Indiana for the IRCHA Jamboree, I recieved one of the Go Engines gas helicopter engines. Didn't have a chance to run it yet. Waiting on the fan. I am mounting it in my Raptor 30. Go offers a fan for it and the Trex 600.
While at IRCHA I got to see several of the engines run in Gaui's NX4. They are offering it as the Gaui T10.The ones I saw run were doing a fine job. No heating problems and very strong. One of the bata testers had one of the pros flying his, and after 12 minutes of hard 3D, he only burned a half tank of gas. The tank in the NX4 is not very big.
My fan should be here in a couple of days. Will let you guys know how it works out. This could very well give us the gasser Raptor 30.
mac2286 is online now Find More Posts by mac2286
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2014, 03:24 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
What did you pay for it? I have seen the engine advertised, but the price seems pretty high.
The engine is also sold as glow engine by HobbyKing, for less than 100 dollar under a different name, with a smaller cooling head. But it seems to be the same engine...
That and an ignition system (the HobbyKing version allready has the mounting holes for the ignition sensor) will set you back less.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...li_Engine.html
I wonder how much different the carbs will be between gas and glow version?

Since I am Always looking for the cheap solution:
I have been thinking a lot about the heat problem and the power loss when changing from glow to gas. One of my next projects will be simply to put a .50 ASP in a Raptor 30, and refit the engine with a (much) smaller carb and ignition to reduce power output to the level of a .30, and make use of the larger cooling surface of a .50 to get rid of the heat.
(in other words: put a large engine with equal large cooling surface area, in a small helicopter, and let it only do very light work).

No idea when I will get around to executing that thought, since I have just finished building a Raptor 30 in a fuselage, and run a ASP .36 with CDI in it, on methanol. That allready consumes approx half the fuel a glow engine would (almost 20 minutes on a single tank, without the headertank even installed...)

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Aug 12, 2014, 07:05 PM
Laugh NOT at King Tupitos
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,760 Posts
I wish I had the money and stamina to make a glow fuel factory in the US and offer better prices. Those Motocross people would be killing themselves on it if they knew they could get such a boost in HP by converting their engines to glow fuel.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Aug 12, 2014, 09:24 PM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
What did you pay for it? I have seen the engine advertised, but the price seems pretty high.
The engine is also sold as glow engine by HobbyKing, for less than 100 dollar under a different name, with a smaller cooling head. But it seems to be the same engine...
That and an ignition system (the HobbyKing version allready has the mounting holes for the ignition sensor) will set you back less.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...li_Engine.html
I wonder how much different the carbs will be between gas and glow version?

Since I am Always looking for the cheap solution:
I have been thinking a lot about the heat problem and the power loss when changing from glow to gas. One of my next projects will be simply to put a .50 ASP in a Raptor 30, and refit the engine with a (much) smaller carb and ignition to reduce power output to the level of a .30, and make use of the larger cooling surface of a .50 to get rid of the heat.
(in other words: put a large engine with equal large cooling surface area, in a small helicopter, and let it only do very light work).

No idea when I will get around to executing that thought, since I have just finished building a Raptor 30 in a fuselage, and run a ASP .36 with CDI in it, on methanol. That allready consumes approx half the fuel a glow engine would (almost 20 minutes on a single tank, without the headertank even installed...)

Brgds, Bert
I took a look at that engine and I think it is the same as the Go engine. I am going to order one and give it a try. I can not say what I gave or mine but it is a lot more than the HK one. The Go engine list for $300 without the pipe. The carb looks the same.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 09:29 PM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
152 Posts
Brutus 1967,
I can buy methanol for less than gas. I have no problem running it and saving even more money. The would take care of the heating problems also.

Jimmy
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:14 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac2286 View Post
Brutus 1967,
I can buy methanol for less than gas. I have no problem running it and saving even more money. The would take care of the heating problems also.

Jimmy
Don't forget that methanol should be less than half the price of gas, because forthe same power output, consumption will virtually double... You also need more oil, which might drive up the price as well...

And keep in mind, that there is not yet much known about these GO-Engines: the gasser version might have a needle bearing in the big end, the glow might not...
So the glow version might be not suitable for gas, or only with fairly large amounts of oil.

Brgds, Bert
Last edited by Brutus1967; Aug 13, 2014 at 04:58 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:39 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
In the meantime: fitting an ignition with a 90 degree cap is sometimes a little bit problematic in a lot of heli's as the cap is (at least in the Raptor 30 and 50, and the T-rex 600N) interfering with the forward skid bracket. This means you have to remove the landing gear in order to pull the plug.

Since I cannot find any application for this in aeroplanes, I think we have this "development" the Go-Engines to thank for, but since shortly, RCeXL is also delivering their ignition with a straight plug boot.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...aight_Cap.html

For a lot of heli pilots thinking about converting, this might be a real blessing...

Brgds, Bert
Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:28 PM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
152 Posts
Brgds, Bert
I just pulled the back off my Go GH.56. The rod has a brass bushing. The inside of the engine is well made, the machining is great. My fan came in today. That made it a drop in fit for the raptor. I had a 50 size engine mount for a raptor that I used. I forgot to get new gas line. Will do that in the morning and see if I can get it to run. The Go Engine comes with a straight plug cap. If it will run as good as the ones I saw at IRCHA this is going to be a no brainer.

Jimmy
Old Aug 14, 2014, 02:41 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
Hi Jimmy...

What is the recommended fuel/oil ratio for this little engine? EDIT: from what I could download from the site of GO-Engines, it suggests a fuelil ratio of 7:3.... that would be 30% oil in gasoline... I have some problems believing this info...

I am still very curious what will be the differences between the GO and the HobbyKing item...
Is the fan for this engine different as to height of the centre, compared to the standard ThunderTiger item?

EDIT: lots more questions, like, does the advised break in procedure differ much fromcommon glow engines?
And if, in what way? EDIT: no suggestion about break in whatsoever....

Is there any form of pressure regulation on the carb?
Does it need tankpressure, like the EVO? EDIT: the same download suggests, the carb has a diaphragm valve and, to quote: "the carb is more complicated than those used in glow engines"

It seems to be designed for 87~93 Octane index, which can be problematic over here, as 95 is the lowest commonly available

Furthermore I noted that the exhaust for this engine has what seems a very unusual mounting flange to the engine: square with 4 boltholes. Did not find any pics of the exhaust side of the engine...

And happy to see, that the straight cap is indeed intended for helicopters.
I wish, RCeXL would have done that sooner, as several people here (including myself) were struggling with the 90 degrees cap... But it shows, they see a market for sparkers in helicopters, and that is Always a good thing...

Brgds, Bert
Last edited by Brutus1967; Aug 14, 2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Info found...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:53 PM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
152 Posts
Quote:
Hi Jimmy...

What is the recommended fuel/oil ratio for this little engine? EDIT: from what I could download from the site of GO-Engines, it suggests a fuelil ratio of 7:3.... that would be 30% oil in gasoline... I have some problems believing this info...

I am still very curious what will be the differences between the GO and the HobbyKing item...
Is the fan for this engine different as to height of the centre, compared to the standard ThunderTiger item?

EDIT: lots more questions, like, does the advised break in procedure differ much fromcommon glow engines?
And if, in what way? EDIT: no suggestion about break in whatsoever....

Is there any form of pressure regulation on the carb?
Does it need tankpressure, like the EVO? EDIT: the same download suggests, the carb has a diaphragm valve and, to quote: "the carb is more complicated than those used in glow engines"

It seems to be designed for 87~93 Octane index, which can be problematic over here, as 95 is the lowest commonly available

Furthermore I noted that the exhaust for this engine has what seems a very unusual mounting flange to the engine: square with 4 boltholes. Did not find any pics of the exhaust side of the engine...

And happy to see, that the straight cap is indeed intended for helicopters.
I wish, RCeXL would have done that sooner, as several people here (including myself) were struggling with the 90 degrees cap... But it shows, they see a market for sparkers in helicopters, and that is Always a good thing...

Brgds, Bert
Go Engines has no information on break in or anything else really. I talked to Mr. Doug Darby at IRCHA for a long time about these engines. He has been working with them for several months now. With very good luck. The recomended oil gas ratio is 9.7 to 1. Doug is running 10 to 1. that makes it easy to mix.
Break in is long. Using oil based 2cyl oil, run it rich at an idle for 4 tanks, then take it easy for a few tanks flying it. The engine uses high octane gas. Over here we use an average of 2 Octane scales. One is lower than the other one. I think you use only one scale and it is the higher one. Your 95 is like our 87.
The engine does not need or use tank pressure. The guys I talked to said using it made his very hard to tune.
The exhaust mounts just like anyother pipe. Two holes
I did not take the carb apart, but it is looks just like any other glow engine. It is a good looking carb. I don't think it has a pump of any kind in it.

I am going to start mine up and will let you guys know how it runs.

Jimmy
Old Aug 14, 2014, 04:46 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
10:1 is a more acceptable value (still pretty greasy for gas, but OK, it is a small, high performance engine with a big end bushing....)

It makes the fuelprice over here near identical to that of zero-nitro glowfuel, but with half the consumption still fairly worthwhile.

The info from GO engines is conflicting, since for example they are both claiming a complicated three needle carb, but n the "manual refer to a two needle setting....

I am VERY curious, especially with regard to the difference with the HK engine...
This because at first I thought the cooling head of the GO-Engine gasser looked bigger, but on second glance, they might be identical (I see 6 large fins on both)

Please keep us posted....

The HK engine plus ignition would set me back roughly 130 euro's, the GO-Engine would be at least 300....

Brgds, Bert
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:03 PM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
152 Posts
I run 4 tanks through the Go Engine today. I set the carb needles at high speed 1 1/2 out, low speed 4 out. I primed the engine and cranked it over for about 5 sec. Pluged the ignition in and it fired up but died. Opened the throtlle about 1\8 and it fired up and run. Just let it run rich till the tank was empty. Once the engine cooled, repeated the run . On the 4th tank for the last 1\4 tank I leaned it out and let it idle like it should. The throttle responce was good and the ldle was smooth.
Tomorrow I am going to do a little hoovering with it. So far it is everything I could ask for. Keeping my fingers crossed.
It does have a 2 needle carb.

Jimmy
Old Aug 15, 2014, 05:58 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
Even at a rich idle, I guess it takes forever to drain the tank?

Good to hear the initial startup was that easy...

Keep us posted...

Brgds, Bert
Old Aug 23, 2014, 03:14 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
I'm dying of curiosity here...

How is the Go-Gasser performing?

Brgds, Bert
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:03 PM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
152 Posts
Quote:
I'm dying of curiosity here...

How is the Go-Gasser performing?

Brgds, Bert
Sorry for not keeping you posted.
I now have 8 and 1/2 tanks through it. Today I started leaning it out a little. Still running it slow. The head speed is just enough to make it fly. The engine is still 4 cycling most of the time. So far it is running great. I now have more confidence in it. will finish the tank in it tomorrow. Then a couple of clicks leaner for the next tank or two.
After the first start the engine gets easyer and easyer to start. The engine seems to have a lot of power. At this low throttle setting is still will fly the Raptor 30 well. I have read that running these little glow type engines on gas makes them run hotter. Well this one is no differant. The back plate is quite worm when I land. I don't have a way to check it. But so fay it hasn't gotten hot enough to cause it a problem. Hope to run it some more tomorrow.

Jimmy