HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:23 PM
RC Helicopters Are Addictive!
Joined Apr 2011
23 Posts
Build Log
Jet Ranger 700 size "9 NEWS" RC Aerodyne / TF Smartmodel (The Netherlands)

Hello guys,

I'm new on this forum, but I'm very familiar with RCGroups.com. After searching a lot on the the internet and after seeing a lot of great works on this website, I've decided today to create an account and share some good moments, making some new friends overseas and sharing my passion with you all.......RC Scale Helicopters!!!!!

First of all....My name is Brian, 35 years, I have a beautyful wife that doesn't like my hobby and son of 3, that loves RC Helicopters as much as his daddy. I'm already learning him on the Phoenix on how to fly.....and believe me....he has the father skills.....and I'm from The Netherlands ( we speak Dutch ) and I will try to do my best writing in English

Ok enough talking about me now.........and let's talk about the build of this beauty Jet Ranger. Starting from today I will share my building moments with you all, and I hope you will enjoy my work and that this will be a nice building log.

I started the project on march 5th 2011, but I will post everything from the begining and let's do if I started today ok????

Day by day I will be posting pictures and writing a bit of my building works.

Regards,

Helifreak 007
Helifreak 007 is offline Find More Posts by Helifreak 007
Last edited by Helifreak 007; May 01, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:58 PM
Joined Apr 2011
23 Posts
Recieving The Fuselage

I ordered this fuselage from RC Aerodyne Germany. I was searching for information for a long time (2-4 months) before purchasing my fuselage.

I had some email contact with RC Aerodyne in the USA, and they informed me the they are soon opening RC Aerodyne in Germany. That was very good news for me, because it was cheaper in the shipping costs and also the customs costs

I also had contact with Kin for an other color scheme fuselage. But soon I knew that al those fuselages are made by TF Models, and i was in love with this color scheme.

So if I ordered from Kin or somewhere else...it's the same fuselage.

I must thank Mr.Kin from Smartmodel and the whole crew of RC Aerodyne for all the good info I recieved before I purchased my fuselage.

I am the first one with this new 700 size Jet Ranger fuselage and the first one with this color scheme in Europe. (and maybe the world.) I think so, because there was only one of it in the USA and they shipped it to Germany. And now it's standing here in my home..... so i'm very proud.....

Thanks to mr. Karsten Illig from RC Aerodyne Germany, I recieved my fuselage in 3 days after ordering.

I will make a manual of this building in PDF after this project is finished. For the ones who also have this fuselage, there is a manual now to download voor 600 and 700 mechanics from the website of Smartmodel. But I will try to make mine more "friendly" for the future builders of this beautifull and big fuselage.

Taking the parts out of the box and organize for assembly.

The fuselage kit comes with factory installed base plate for your mechanics and contains all assembly parts as; hatch cover, doghouse, aluminum ventilation grills, front doors, tail boom, tail boom end cover, vertical and horizontal stabilizers, pre welded landing skid, landing skid brackets, exhaust pipes, wire cutters, vacuum formed PVC window panels and windscreen, door hinges, magnets, screws, nuts, washers, wood formers, decal set and epoxy glue set.

• Scale Camera & Searchlight Decor Set (Not included with the fuselage kit)
• Navigation Light System (Not included with the fuselage kit)
• Vario Scale Parts (Not included with the fuselage kit)

I will use lots of Vario scale parts in this project to make my Jet Ranger fuselage a better scale look. I will explain in this project how I have used each parts and I will add pictures to show the results by every step of the building log.
Last edited by Helifreak 007; May 01, 2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:19 PM
Joined Apr 2011
23 Posts
Step 1:

Mounting the Landing Skid

First off all I removed carefully the bottom wood base plate out of the fuselage and let the wood formers stay in their place. I did this to create more work space during assembly of the landing skid.

As the landing skid comes pre welded from the factory, I just sliped the rear cross member into the fuselage recess and located the landing skid correctly. I had centered the fuselage using a striping tape.

Then I centered and positioned the landing skid and secure it with some masking tape as shown. This will keep the landing skid in position to the fuselage so I could mark the drilling points using the tap holes of the landing skid brackets. The distance I used for the back brackets is 2 cm from the center line and for the front brackets 3,5 mm.

I drilled first 2 mm holes for the rear brackets and secured the brackets with the delivered 2 mm x 30 mm screws (8x), washers and nuts. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE SCREWS!!! When the back of the landing skid is fastened, I did the same step for the front brackets.
Last edited by Helifreak 007; May 01, 2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:48 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,067 Posts
That looks sweet good luck with your build
Bad Creation is offline Find More Posts by Bad Creation
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:28 PM
Joined Apr 2011
23 Posts
Thank you very much Bad Creation.

I'm just trying to do my best

There are more to come of the project, just follow the build log
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Apr 2011
23 Posts
Step 2:

Mounting the Fuselage Parts

Now that the landing skid is mounted I started to mount all the fuselage parts together to bring it to life . I used masking tape again to hold the fuselage parts together as shown…
Last edited by Helifreak 007; May 01, 2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:50 PM
Joined Apr 2011
23 Posts
step 3:

Mounting The Window Panels and Windscreen

There are different methods to mount your window panels and windscreen. You can glue from the inside of the fuselage, fasten with small screws from the outside or you can choose to use Vario "Window Sealing Strips" (no. 114) around the window panels and windscreen.

It's a very patience and precise work. It is very important that the window panels or windscreen don’t get loose during flights.

I recommend this only for experienced scale fuselage builders, cause cutting the window panels or windscreen wrong in size, will result in ordering a new set of window panels and windscreen at TF Models.

If you are not experienced to do this, just use (CA) glue, gun glue (the best), epoxy or screws to mount the window panels and windscreen to your fuselage. When using glue or epoxy, be carefull not to damage the clear PVC material.

Here some pictures of the result…
Last edited by Helifreak 007; May 01, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:53 PM
Joined Apr 2011
23 Posts
step 4:

Installing the Vario “Filler Valve” for nitro mechanics.

I choosed to instal a Vario “Filler Valve” system. This consist of 2 parts (no. 13/25 & no. 13/27) If you are using nitro mechanics, refueling your model will be much easy with this system. And when using electric mechanics you can use this system just for scale decoration to your fuselage. I used it for both reasons, because at this moment I don,t know yet what kind of mechanics I will use.

After correct leveling the “Filler Valve” system, I carefully drilled a 10mm hole into the fuselage. (I first drilled 3mm, 6mm, 8mm and at last 10mm).

This is very easy to install and comes with instructions from Vario
Last edited by Helifreak 007; May 01, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:07 PM
Joined Apr 2011
23 Posts
step 5:

Installing Ventilation Grills on the Engine Top Cover

I installed the ventilation grills by positioning the grills, glued around with 6 minute dry epoxy and let dry with clamps for 30 minutes. Very easy to do...
Last edited by Helifreak 007; May 01, 2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:20 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4 Posts
very nice
kotsak is offline Find More Posts by kotsak
Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:05 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Love the window install. Makes things the correct level and appearance
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
23 Posts
Many many thanks for the compliments Kotsak and SidewaysLS4.

Yes, I'm trying to make the most things on this fuselage in correct level and appearance.

At the same time of building and posting here I'm also making a new manual for people interested. I really think that this new fuselage for 700 will be sold a lot this year, because we have waited very log to get easy to instal fuselages for 700-800 size helicopters.

Regards, Helifreak 007
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:08 PM
Joined Apr 2011
23 Posts
step 6:

Making the Top Engine Cover work open/close with Vario "Door Hinges" & "Bell Jet Ranger III Lettering".

I used Vario "Door Hinges" & "Bell Jet Ranger III Lettering" that comes with a Vario Big Jet Ranger Fittings Set (no: 13/31). This complete set contains a lot of scale fittings to add to your Jet Ranger fuselage.

I did the painting of the fittings that I will use on the Top Engine Cover.
Last edited by Helifreak 007; May 01, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
23 Posts
step 7:

Cutting out the Hatch and make work open/close with Vario "Door Hinges".

After working on the Top Engine Cover, I also cut the Hatch to make it work open/close with Vario "Door Hinges"
Last edited by Helifreak 007; Apr 25, 2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:52 AM
Joined Apr 2011
23 Posts
step 8:

Making rivets & add scale fittings

I began marking the rivet lines using striping tape. With a marker I have pointed drilling holes with 5mm distance between. After doing this I started drilling the 1mm holes for the Vario "Plastic Rivets" (no.10/30) and began placing the rivets one by one and line after line. This required the most of the building time and much patience.

As this fuselage came already painted by factory, I had to paint the rivets to match to the color scheme of my fuselage… I have first primed and than painted into color. The colors I used were Tamiya TS Pearl Blue and TS8 Italian Red. They were the nearest to the fabric painted colors of the fuselage.

When entering the rivets to the drilled holes sometimes the paint got off, with a thin pencil I touched up these.

I also added some scale details/fittings to the Top Engine Cover and made a better cooling airflow system using "Ventilation Grills" and Vario "Ventilation Slots" (no.20/40)
Last edited by Helifreak 007; Apr 25, 2011 at 11:56 AM.