HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2009, 04:56 PM
Antioch,CA
Joined Feb 2009
30 Posts
Help!
dead lipo how to charge it

i have a 2 cell lipo by tenergy nd i left it on my airplane over night i have tried to charge it on a e flight balancing charger but it just has a chrging error so how can i charge my battery? help
fasstrc925 is offline Find More Posts by fasstrc925
Last edited by fasstrc925; Feb 16, 2009 at 05:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:14 PM
Novice RC pilot
California
Joined Feb 2008
623 Posts
Is the battery completely dead? Have you checked the voltage of each cell with a multimeter?
u.rusty is offline Find More Posts by u.rusty
Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:23 PM
Antioch,CA
Joined Feb 2009
30 Posts
yes completely dead is there any way i can charge it
Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:46 PM
not insane; Mom had me tested
Marietta Ga.
Joined Apr 2005
820 Posts
you need a nicd or nimh charger and do a slow charge .3C untill you hit 3.25 volts per cell then charge with the ballance charger.
hallstudio is offline Find More Posts by hallstudio
Old Feb 16, 2009, 05:51 PM
Antioch,CA
Joined Feb 2009
30 Posts
thanks
Old Feb 16, 2009, 06:11 PM
Antioch,CA
Joined Feb 2009
30 Posts
yay it works now thank you hallstudio
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:48 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,015 Posts
Don't get your hopes up too high
It's not going to be as good as a new one and may go down hill rapidly.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:05 PM
Joined Mar 2007
91 Posts
its simple just get a portable defribillator and shock the batteries back to life!!
flapsdown is offline Find More Posts by flapsdown
Old Jun 28, 2009, 07:46 PM
Lynn Haven, FL
Joined Jul 2008
34 Posts
I have an 11.1V 3 cell 2200mAh 20C li-po that is throwing a charge error on my e-flight charger, and will not charge. According to my volt meter, it's still kicking out 7.4V, so it's not been discharged too much. The charger is flashing both red and green lights in unison, indicating that the battery pack has been excessively discharged. The pack is practically brand new.

does anyone know of a possible remedy, other than buying a new battery pack? Unfortunately, the little e-flight single charger is all I have right now.
stuhrw is offline Find More Posts by stuhrw
Old Jun 28, 2009, 08:06 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhrw
According to my volt meter, it's still kicking out 7.4V, so it's not been discharged too much.
On the contrary, it indeed has been discharged too much - way too much. Several minutes after flight, it ought to show a minimum of 3.7 volts per cell.
Quote:
does anyone know of a possible remedy, other than buying a new battery pack? Unfortunately, the little e-flight single charger is all I have right now.
See post #4. Perhaps you can borrow a Ni charger. If you do, closely monitor the voltage and stop charging with the Ni charger when the pack reads 3 volts or more per cell.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Jun 28, 2009, 08:07 PM
Texas
Joined Jan 2005
1,433 Posts
Quote:
I have an 11.1V 3 cell 2200mAh 20C li-po that is throwing a charge error on my e-flight charger, and will not charge. According to my volt meter, it's still kicking out 7.4V, so it's not been discharged too much. The charger is flashing both red and green lights in unison, indicating that the battery pack has been excessively discharged. The pack is practically brand new.

3s packs should not be discharged under 3.0 volts per cell and better to stay above that. You may have one bad cell and 2 good ones. If you can check each cell, it wil tell you for sure. If it's one bad cell, chances are you can't get it back to normal.
smurf is offline Find More Posts by smurf
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:44 PM
Lynn Haven, FL
Joined Jul 2008
34 Posts
OK....I have a nicad charger, but the connectors are different. My nicad only has 2 wires, whereas the 11.1V lipo has 4 wires on the connector. Can I simply attach the nicad charger to the 2 larger ESC wires on the battery using bullet connectors? I'm not an electrical engineer, but it should work, the same, right? Power out--power in?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:34 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
OK....I have a nicad charger, but the connectors are different. My nicad only has 2 wires, whereas the 11.1V lipo has 4 wires on the connector. Can I simply attach the nicad charger to the 2 larger ESC wires on the battery using bullet connectors? I'm not an electrical engineer, but it should work, the same, right? Power out--power in?
Yes. Use the Ni charger to charge the LiPo by means of the ESC connector. Again, do monitor the voltage and stop at about 9 volts. Try the LiPo charger. If still too low, go for 10 volts using the Ni charger.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:39 PM
Lynn Haven, FL
Joined Jul 2008
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill3
Yes. Use the Ni charger to charge the LiPo by means of the ESC connector. Again, do monitor the voltage and stop at about 9 volts. Try the LiPo charger. If still too low, go for 10 volts using the Ni charger.

Bill
You da' man, Bill! It worked. I now understand about not discharging lipos too much! My battery has 3 cells, total voltage was down to 7.5v, which is a little less than 3v per cell.......not good. I hooked up my Ni charger (after soldering on some deans connectors) and monitored the voltage as it trickled in. After about 30 sec, the voltage was up to 9.5v, so I stopped. Plugged it into my lipo charger and was good to go! Charged it up, readjusted my low voltage cutoff in the esc, and went for a flight. No noticeable battery degradation noted. Still got over 10 min of flight time before low voltage kicked in. Thanks again!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:02 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
Mine was dead too. I took two wires and hooked it up to a 9 volt battery through the bositive and negative outlet to the plane. I taped the wires to the 9 volt battery. I plugged it in and it started to blink more than 3 times. I watched it for less than five minutes then unpluged the 9 volt. It fooled the charger into thinking it had more than 3 volts. Don't know if thats dangerous, but it worked.
scottliv is offline Find More Posts by scottliv