Old Aug 08, 2008, 12:23 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,285 Posts
Discussion
Foam Core Templates

Hello,

I'm wanting to try and cut some cores, I've done a couple and they've turned out good enough for me.

This is the proposed planform, the root will be the AG455ct, the next panel at 19.2" span will be the AG46ct and the tip template will be the AG47ct.

Cutting the first panel is easy enough, I'll make the root template 7.25" and it's respective tip 5.5", the root is easy for the outer panel, I'll use the same template as the inner panels tip of 5.5" but how do I do the tip panel since I'd like to have a nice arc in the outer portion of the leading edge?

Do I cut the foam core to the exact dimensions prior to cutting? Or do I have to cut the core first then sand to planform shape? What chord dimension do I use for the tip template?

The planform is from the SuperGee II but modified slightly, just because I can!

Thanks for the help.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2008, 12:27 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,043 Posts
See Super Gee I for how to shape the tip
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl.../SuperGeeI.htm

There is a pdf there on how to do it.

To answer your question, you cut the core with a square tip , cut with a snap off blade or sharp razor the curve and then shape
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Aug 08, 2008, 12:49 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,043 Posts
I think the tips on the SG II are 3.4".

I cut the foam to the planform first then adhere my airfoil templates and cut. Finally I shape the tip rounded.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Aug 09, 2008, 07:02 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,285 Posts
Well that's easy enough, thanks folks!

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member