Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 07, 2014, 01:05 PM
Joined May 2007
9 Posts
Discussion
Master CP or CopterX 250 DFC for next Heli

Hello all,

I am looking for some advice as to my next Heli.

I've had a Super CP for a few months and its now getting a bit boring - i can control the bird in FFF in all orientations, i've not tried 3D yet and don't intend to for some time.

I've now donated the Heli to my brother, i found it very easy to fly from the get go TBH, aside from one minor crash where the landing gear broke, I've had no breakages, i'd like a slightly bigger bird that prefers a bit better (faster).

I've done quite a bit of research on here and have narrowed the search down to either a Master CP or a CopterX 250 Flybarless, both would be in RFT form but i would fork out for the MG servos if i went for the Master CP.

Essentially, from what I've read i should be able to handle the Master no problems, since it has a 6 axis gyro vs the 3 axis i'm used to, the thing that bugs me is that i have to replace all servos from the get go, and the fact that it is less capable out of the box compared to the CX.

The CX seems to be more like a "Real Heli" yet the parts are still dirt cheap. Since it is also a 3 axis gyro, like the super CP, do thou think i will be able to handle it ok? i know it will be more twitchy due to the extra power, but in general is it a stable bird?

I found it hard to find any comparisons, and the info i did find on the CX was mostly a few years old, before the flybarless version was real eased and so the comments don't appear valid.

Your help would be much appreciated!
markz1986 is online now Find More Posts by markz1986
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2014, 01:35 PM
Joined Dec 2009
136 Posts
I would not recommend the master cp, it has a motor tail and is cheeply made out of non composite plastic and has a brushed motor. I dont know mutch about the coperx to i cant say anything about it. I would also like to throw a X3v out there its a fine bird.
IM back! is offline Find More Posts by IM back!
Old Jul 07, 2014, 03:06 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,255 Posts
If you had no problems with the Super CP, you should be able to handle just about anything you chose. Pick what fits your budget and flying area. The Master CP is really an entry level CP model. It won't be a challenge for you, but with a few upgrades, it's a decent sport flyer. As for being cheaply made, the company making Walkera products now makes extensive use of plastics and simplified designs and their durability has gone way up since the old aluminum days. I've owned a few Trex 250 clones and have not been impressed by the quality. I'd rather have a Blade 300CFX or Gaui X2. But, if you must have a Trex clone, the CopterX is as good as any.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:42 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,345 Posts
If going for 3 D 300CF-X/ Gaui X2 is fine. 250 DFC Align. Master with upgrades as stated can be good sport flyer. Bl main conversion/ M/G servos etc.
Clones you get what you desreve with them.
Bored with S c/p try a V120D02s. Bigger bl main/ shaft drive tail.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jul 08, 2014, 03:40 AM
Joined Apr 2014
100 Posts
Dont buy the CopterX rtf. Buy the kit with servos and 3x2000 FBL controller, and get the receiver, esc and motor from HK. Instead of having 3400kv RTF motor, why not a 3800 or 4200 from HK and 25A BL Heli compatible esc with switching BEC instead of the stock linear bec. Miles ahead in terms of performance and efficiency, same price too.
Hugo Stiglitz is online now Find More Posts by Hugo Stiglitz
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:09 PM
Joined May 2007
9 Posts
Thanks for the comments, i think i'm swaying more towards the CX 250, might do as Hugo as suggested and buy as piece parts! they don't look that difficult to put together.

Can anyone confirm what the 250 would be like stability wise? i assume similar to the Super CP given the FBL head and 3 axis gyro?
Old Jul 08, 2014, 02:42 PM
Joined Dec 2009
136 Posts
The super cp has a strange (terrible) fbl unit that has a degree of auto level and a very, i don't know how to describe it, mushy? feel to it. A well setup 250 will be way more precise, way more powerful and will be more squirly in some ways but the greater inertia will smooth things out somewhat.

Also you will fly a 250 way more reserved because: A It can be somewhat dangourus/painful if it hits you and B it will break every time if it crashes somewhat severely.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 10:53 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,345 Posts
If your goinbg to build a 250 why not go to a 450 ? Easier to work on and tons more parts items available. It will fly better and cost is similar. 250 size bird gets real cramped under the hood.
If you build a 250 you will want a 450 later anyway. If new flyer a 250 is bad choice .Headspeed on them are quite high.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
Joined May 2007
9 Posts
I thought about the 450, but it is a bit large for my flying area, and also, i quite like to take a hell with me when i go mountain biking (which i do most days) so it would need to fit in my backpack (which a 250 does).

My main concern is the 250 not being stable enough for me to enjoy, i like the fact the super CP will hover itself for a few seconds before it starts to drift, is the CX 250 likely to do the same? i know it will be more sensitive to stick inputs but do you think it will be as stable in hover as the Super CP? what is significance of the high headspeed?

Some of the other suggestions in this thread look good, but spares are limited / expensive, at least with the CX i can get a complete new hell for $40. The TREX 150 looks like it could be good also, but again parts are looking relatively limited / expensive.
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
Joined Dec 2009
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz1986 View Post
My main concern is the 250 not being stable enough for me to enjoy, i like the fact the super CP will hover itself for a few seconds before it starts to drift, is the CX 250 likely to do the same?
If you like the super cp auto leveling style i would like to re recomend the x3v it has very simular auto leveling. As a plus it also lets you tun it off (i hate it).

or buy a CoperX kit and buy an auto leveling fbl unit, maybe even a x303v (if money is tight)

or a master cp if your desparate, but i would not recommend that one for the reasons in my other post.
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Joined Apr 2014
100 Posts
Sensitivity to stick inputs can be adjusted (d/r). Are you sure this is not your first collective pitch heli? Why would you want the heli to self level? That is an undesired effect of all helis with a 45 degree flybar, going with a 90 degree flybar or fbl eliminates that. No one actually wants that but beginners. If youre a beginner, any fbl 250 is not a happy choice.
High headspeed can be desired or not, its a personal preference. The higher the headspeed, more stable the heli is and less likely to bog during 3d manouvers (thats why i said 3800 or 4200 kv motor with 12t pinion instead of stock 3400kv and stock 15t pinion), but if you crash, chances are you'll break more stuff and its also very very dangerous.
Master cp is a joke compared to CopterX SE.
Hugo Stiglitz is online now Find More Posts by Hugo Stiglitz
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Joined May 2007
9 Posts
After doing some more research, I think I'll go with the x3v, as reccomended (think I'll have to change the canopy though!) parts availability might be less than the cx 250 but from what I've read it seems like it's very stable - which is what I'm after and a step up in terms of power compared to my super CP, it's also the cheapest option which is a bonus, I can always upgrade to a CX later on if I feel the need, I guess I could re-use the electronics from the x3v as a starter.

Its definitely not my first CP, I had a Super CP, never changed the settings, didn't need too, I like the fact it auto stabilised, I'm not too bothered about 3d flight, just want something that isn't underpowered for fast sport flying.
Old Today, 01:41 AM
Joined Dec 2009
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
Sensitivity to stick inputs can be adjusted (d/r). Are you sure this is not your first collective pitch heli? Why would you want the heli to self level? That is an undesired effect of all helis with a 45 degree flybar, going with a 90 degree flybar or fbl eliminates that. No one actually wants that but beginners..
The super cp dosent auto level like a 45. It returns to "level" only when it has been changed by a small amount. Actually because the super cp dosent have a accelrometer it retuns to whatever the gyro thinks is level, witch boils down to the atitude witch it was in for a few seconds last. Guess what happens when you just flew it forwards slowly for the last 5 seconds? thats right it will try to "level" back into fff, thats the main reason i dumped my super cp.

the x3v behaves almost exacly the same in green mode
Old Today, 09:22 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,255 Posts
If you buy a decent flybarless control unit, a 250 will exhibit very similar stability to the Super CP. I have owned previous SkyArtec Wasp models and found them to be more docile than other 250 models, but below average in durability, especially the tail assembly. I know nothing about the X3V, but this is something you may wish to check.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Today, 09:33 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,125 Posts
If you want to go for high performance in a RTF package, I would go for the Trex 250 DFC plus. There are few complaints about this heli. I don't really understand all this bashing about the Master CP. Its plastic is its main advantage in that it confers durability. It is using a 400 sized motor in a 250 frame and so it is not under powered. It is not so good for 3D because it is very heavy for its size.

But besides durability, you have got real ease of maintenance. its design is very simple and logical. For example, I spent more than 8 hours repairing the tail of my Trex 250 and still couldn't get it right. The truth is that you could be setting yourself up for a nightmare easily with the 250 class.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw