Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 04, 2014, 11:20 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
567 Posts
Col Bart Regatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Who all is coming to SB race this Sunday at Spreckles lake? Wearher should be great. Ryan
R,
I'll be there sans boat (grrr) but with computer to score the regatta.

I developed a scoring program that is quick and easy. The "leaderboard" is updated race-by-race instantly. With this program, you will be able to check your standings before the next race.

The final standings (subject to dropping the low score and resolving ties) happens in less than a minute-at the end of the race.

Also, If 8 race, then DNFs (9) and DNS's (10) and they are accounted for at the moment they happen making the entire process less of a hassle at lake side.

See you Sunday!
JerryT
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jul 04, 2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: adding data
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2014, 09:39 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
862 Posts
Steve,
Any report on the Sacto. event last weekend? Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Jul 06, 2014, 12:07 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,074 Posts
In a word, HOT....and unusually fluky winds. If you didn't like which way the wind was blowing, just wait ten seconds. Several times the masthead fly would spin in a circle and then go straight up!

Anytime we get hot NW winds the air does funny things as it comes over the houses at the north end of the lake, but this time it also affected the leeward mark down by the fountain. Eric & Jeff purposely set a short course for the slower Seawinds in case the wind went away as it often does when the thermometer races past 95F, so the faster boats were doing double triangles. Lots of reaching helped kept the boats moving, but did not lend itself to lots of passing. If you got a good start and got the lead, you generally kept and stretched it out .....unless the wind gods reached out and grabbed you.

For example, in the US1M class I had just rounded the leeward mark and was not yet fully up to speed when the wind shifted suddenly and the boat was hit full on by a very strong gust. The boat literally came to a halt in irons, costing me a 30 ft lead and allowing Mark to scoot by to take the win.

Jeff R. has been busy with his younger son's sprint car racing so he hasn't posted the scores yet. I was so wasted by the heat( I raced 24 heats the day before with EGMYC) that I didn't look at the results, but I didn't do very well - very inconsistent and not a good start all day.

The Robinson's were absent, probably due to the heat, so we only had three SB's ; Jeff S., Jean and me, so the DNS did not lose too much ground in the standings. It will be interesting to see the results, but I think that the scores might be close because all three of us were not very consistent.

I am finding it difficult to jump from the SB to a US1M to an Infinity with their vastly different acceleration profiles and get a good start in each class. I am either way too early or way too late and by the time I get it down for one class, we move on to the next. I need to change my technique or practice more switching boats.

But, any day sailing beats the alternative.

Steve
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jul 06, 2014, 07:58 PM
United States, TX, Spring Branch
Joined Jul 2013
20 Posts
Head to head after after 40 years

Well I have had my S/B since 1973 and today was the first time I have ever had the chance to sail with another S/B. Tom got his a few years back as a gift and we added a modern radio and today we both sailed together. Was fun but we all could us more stick time. The rest of the club parked their Vic and brough out the 10R so we had a total of 8 large boats on the water with good winds for central Texas in July was hot 98 degree, but was fun
triker3 is online now Find More Posts by triker3
Old Jul 06, 2014, 08:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
567 Posts
SFMYC Col Bart Regatta 2014

San Francisco suffered neither the high temps or light winds of SACTO today when we held the SFMYC's annual Col Bart Santa Barbara Regatta. Our temps only soared to high 60's very low 70s with the prevailing winds light and variable at about 6-8 mph.

Five Santa Barbaras on the race course, with various other sailboats outside the race box, made for a gorgeous display on what we think is the most beautiful model sailboat venue in the USA (world).

Ryan Schofield and Jason Spiller put on a show race in and out crossing the finish line inches apart on occasion. Stephen Ma and Jim Forbes split races to the very end but always with an eye on Jeff Brooks who jumped into a lead on occasion thus keeping the fleet tightly packed for the six heats of the annual SFMYC's Col Bart Regatta.

There are nearly 20 Santa Barbaras in the SFMYC's world class boathouse. Lets hope we can get most (if not all) out racing before the end of the 2014 season.

High praise and loud applause goes to everyone involved for bringing your alpha attitudes to this regatta-you were all a sight behold. Congratulations one-n-all.

Jerry Turney, Score keeper & Race Director
Vortex SB-on the hard for retro fitting
Robinson SB-undergoing assembly
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jul 06, 2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: typos
Old Jul 06, 2014, 11:20 PM
Joined Nov 2010
862 Posts
Lookin forward to starting work on 443 and building a new rig for it. The hull is light and the boat should be refurbished in time for Medley Cup. Ryan
Old Jul 06, 2014, 11:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
567 Posts
You're da man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Lookin forward to starting work on 443 and building a new rig for it. The hull is light and the boat should be refurbished in time for Medley Cup. Ryan
R,
Roger that! Looking forward to putting her rails down without breaking this-n-that when chasing you, Jason, Stephen and Steve V. down. Use the ACP CF mast. I'll get 2 more for the WOD and Robinson.

JT
Old Jul 07, 2014, 10:28 PM
Joined Nov 2010
862 Posts
Col Bart regatta was a lot fun from a sailors perspective. The racing was very competitive with three different sailors taking first place during the day. This sailor had a lot fun and enjoyed the competition a lot. Several of my starts were not that good, but by boat is fast and seemed to work its way towards the front of the pack the majority of the time. A good day all around. Ryan