New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2015, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by agedflier
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
I too was hoping TH ordered and retailed up more upgrades than a paint scheme.

As a suggestion - deploy a CF slat all the way through the horizontal stabilizer....this helps "box" in the boom to tail section (more than you think it would)

I purchased two J-Power P-38's from Killer Planes who stabbed CF throughout the airframe...even after this...it still has lots of flex points. I found that I had to crank down the boom-wing bolts in order to get mine more solid and rigid.

I have had mine in operations for over three years too...probably around 50flights and looks as good as new. My P-38 is very docile....able to execute very slow acrobatics in big air.....trainer like landings (floats in like a butterfly with sore feet on grass field). LED package makes it a great Sunday flier...but the ubra small stock wheels prevent higher grass operations.

I have since deployed some trailing axle spring loaded landing gear which helps on grass operations a little better.....but still.....it's just a novelty air show flier for me...nice to fly the LED's in the late evenings

TwistedGrin
TG..Do you have any more detail on the "boom wing bolts"?? The V1 is only glued in and I want to make mine as strong as possible..A.F.
agedflier is online now Find More Posts by agedflier
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2015, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier View Post
TG..Do you have any more detail on the "boom wing bolts"?? The V1 is only glued in and I want to make mine as strong as possible..A.F.
AgedFlier - I have both P-38's V1 and V2.....you are correct the V1 booms are glued to the wings...the V2 has bolts. My V1 as a hand tosser was more rigid that the V2 ....thus I went back through the V2 and put the screws too it.

MY V1 center cockpit pod (Gondola) needed to be split apart at the reward apex and reglued; the tail sections have two CF rods where each meet and glue onto the booms, one CF slat imbedded to the horizontal stabilizer, each vertical stabilizer has a CF rod inserted from top to bottom, I installed a single rod for a wing spar which of course removed nearly all of the Dihedral, removed all of the landing gear, taped the landing gear doors shut, placed a CF slat along the forward bottom of both Nacelles to help protect the plane for belly landings, installed HC Hobby B-25 Kv1000 bell type motors spinning FMS B-25 9x6.5x3 counter rotating props...I used epoxy for the entire build so it's rock solid.

Powered by the stock Detrum 40amp ESC's via 3s 25c 4000mAh LiPo.

It has done several battles with a Turkey Vulture who came to investigate.....I flew away then circled back and gave chase.....game on....to my surprise the lumbering beast did not back down. This happened on more than one occasion .....so the V1 was put through abnormal aerobatics and did a good job....nothing fast or pretty. Ditching in the knee-high grasses with no damages.

I think the most fun is simply to hand launch a fairly big twin....and very easily....so I put switchable LED's on it allowing me to toggle on/off from transmitter.

Here is my shot of the V1 (showing the removal of Dihedral from the wing spar) on top of the V2 .

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; May 20, 2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old May 23, 2015, 02:58 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,694 Posts
I finally got time to do the landing gear pix....Details are as follows.

Legs...bent piano wire with ME-262 plastic shrouds cut to fit.
Wheels... Mains are 57mm(2.1/4in) Du-Bro low bounce
Front..From memory I think is a 50mm one from Vampire spares box.

I decided not to make door but use(copy) what had done by others..I shaped mine from balsa.
I don't have the correct shade of grey but will make do for now..

Battery tray..Ply...Battery tray also acts as a mounting point for front gear steering. I thought of using pull/pull but thought the direct link would be better.

Comment if you like guys....A.F.
Last edited by agedflier; May 23, 2015 at 03:05 AM.
Old May 23, 2015, 06:42 AM
Find More Posts by Blade Runner 350
Drone Collector
Joined Dec 2014
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier View Post
I finally got time to do the landing gear pix....Details are as follows.

Legs...bent piano wire with ME-262 plastic shrouds cut to fit.
Wheels... Mains are 57mm(2.1/4in) Du-Bro low bounce
Front..From memory I think is a 50mm one from Vampire spares box.

I decided not to make door but use(copy) what had done by others..I shaped mine from balsa.
I don't have the correct shade of grey but will make do for now..

Battery tray..Ply...Battery tray also acts as a mounting point for front gear steering. I thought of using pull/pull but thought the direct link would be better.

Comment if you like guys....A.F.
Nice work Aged.

Its what this little ship always needed.
Blade Runner 350 is offline Find More Posts by Blade Runner 350
Old May 23, 2015, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by Kurt
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
2,458 Posts
+1 looks great!!
Good idea using the ME262 strut-covers.
What did you use for piano wire, 3mm?
Love the rake on the front gear and the larger-than stock wheels.
well done!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old May 24, 2015, 12:26 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
+1 looks great!!
Good idea using the ME262 strut-covers.
What did you use for piano wire, 3mm?
Love the rake on the front gear and the larger-than stock wheels.
well done!
Thanks guys...The wire is 3mm..Took a lot of effort to get the wire bent not having the proper bending tools...The wheels also have alloy tube "axles"
I did sone trial and error first using metal coat hangars as they were easy to bend and just laid that over the piano wire to know where to bend.

I managed to get a good colour match for the covers and touch up by mixing Tamiya AS-32(medium sea gray2(RAF) with some TS-27(matt white) into a container and hand brushing over the covers...

Now...Time to work on the tail and electrics..

I have not yet made up my mind about using 2x Rx to save having a "rats nest" of wires in the fuse..Only time will tell..lol

Some have put carbon into the "booms" but I notice that the servos prevent the use of 5mm rods that I used on my Vampire..
Can anyone provided more detail as to how they did theirs.....Thanks again..A.F.

edit..music wire is actually 1/8in 3.12mm K&S #507
Last edited by agedflier; May 24, 2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old May 24, 2015, 06:45 AM
Find More Posts by Kurt
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
2,458 Posts
good job - I know exactly what you mean about bending piano wire. Have thrown quite a few away until getting a "good" one
How nice would it be if foamie P-38 came stock with gear like these hint hint FMS

There are a few pics of the carbon I used to join the tails to the booms here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5406

I didn't put any additional carbon between the main wing and tail in the booms themselves and they've been fine. Plenty in the main wing, horizontal tail, and central fuselage though.
You can see in my in-air videos with the camera on the horiz stab that the booms don't have any appreciable flex in them.
It's mainly the tail-to-boom joint (and the tail itself) that needs to be strong.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old May 25, 2015, 12:30 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,694 Posts
Kurt I found your link last night..thanks...

I had to reverse the "steering" servo as the wheel was turning in opposite direction to the rudder..It was pretty easy resoldering the wires..

What may I ask is the benefit of having the rudder horns on the outside?? I must say it does look a lot neater not having 2 sets of rods on the same side...Any practical benefits??
Old May 25, 2015, 08:04 AM
Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
976 Posts
Nice Job Agedflier! Must make better covers like yours for mine. Had mine out on Sunday but only got in one flight before the wind really picked up. Such a lovely bird to fly and the take off and landings make me look good
DeathWarmedUp is offline Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp