Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 04, 2014, 02:18 PM
Espa˝a, CL, ┴vila
Joined Sep 2008
547 Posts
Build Log
CSC- MX2, 4 stroke, 3 speed...

Hi guys.

I┤m thinking on a new design, applying some ideas seen here (Nolan Farmer┤s gearboxes for 4 strokers..) in a new Supermotard bike.

As my previous motocross design, the CSC-MX1, this new bike will be 1/4 scale but not electric. Power will be delivered by an OS FS-40 to a separate clutch shaft that spins a Kyosho Mad Force 3 speed tranny.

Theorical gear ratio at third gear (with well known sprockets of 32 and 9 teeth driving a roller chain), with clutch bell spinning at about 21.000 rpm, will launch the bike up to 80Km/h.

Now it┤s time to get these rpms from the air version of the OS engine (camshaft and valve springs borrowed from the car version...).

The engine will be mounted in a radial way (same way many planes need due to narrow cowlings) at the back while front end will be held in place with a clamp style mount (right over front crankshaft bearing and to those yellow spacers over the tranny).

Rear swingarm will be cut from 4mm thick carbon fiber and will feature a solid aluminium core between both legs. Rear damper is installed on left side of the swingarm running away from exhaust muffler heat (silencer over roller chain)

I plan to install the fuel tank right over the 3 speed tranny, but who knows where it will be after some brainstorming debates between me and myself.

Target date to complete this proyect:

2016 or so

Hope you like it

Cesar, from Spain.
trf_414_m2 is offline Find More Posts by trf_414_m2
Last edited by trf_414_m2; Jun 04, 2014 at 05:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2014, 05:55 PM
United States, CO, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2006
284 Posts
I love it, I wish I still had those two .40 car motors I sold.
Nolan Farmer is offline Find More Posts by Nolan Farmer
Old Jun 06, 2014, 11:32 AM
Espa˝a, CL, ┴vila
Joined Sep 2008
547 Posts
New updates.

Radial engine mount integrated on right carbon fiber plate, while front engine end feature a clamp mount.

Starting system (diff outdrive) installed on clutch shaft and inside chassis, so no way to harm anybody while it spins constantly when engine is on. The bearing holder/safety device is bolted to left engine ear and right carbon mount (see #5 post for pic...)

You just need a drill with a 1/10 scale dogbone fitted, put it through the hole at carbon mount and make engine spin.

More news soon.
Last edited by trf_414_m2; Jun 06, 2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2014, 11:42 AM
YOUTUBE - R/C Life Channel
Joined Sep 2010
207 Posts
this is cool!!!!!, watching the design of the bike from scratch to awesome. I love engineering and creation even more than racing with these little guys, but design and weight distribution is a whole nether world that I don't know so I will just enjoy yours until I decide to give it a try.
kjohns0n is online now Find More Posts by kjohns0n
Old Jun 06, 2014, 12:08 PM
Espa˝a, CL, ┴vila
Joined Sep 2008
547 Posts
Another pic I didn┤t uploaded before.

This is the printed part that holds the second clutch shaft bearing and keeps starting diff outdrive away from your fingers.

Safety first...

This proyect is linked with another one. We all know about carb issues these engines had when you decide to change from air to ground use. The ground carbs need an special mount that make them protude at bike side or increase intake port length excesively.

So I decided to design a new carb body with standard mix needles but pretty similar to square carbs found at petrol chainsaw engines. Limit is 12mm from engine intake port...

Who knows...
Last edited by trf_414_m2; Jun 06, 2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 02:08 PM
Espa˝a, CL, ┴vila
Joined Sep 2008
547 Posts
By this date I┤m starting designing the fuel tank.

I┤ve swaped from the previous solid spine chassis set up and went to a narrow carbon fiber one. I┤ve aligned several big openings on chassis plates in order to pass a fuel tank through them, crossing the entire bike right over 3 speed gear tranny.

Initial tank setup displayed a cc capacity of just 47cc, and considering an easy installation/removal as a must, I┤ve modified right side of tank for a higher cc count.

At this point, the tank is able to get 67cc of fuel inside but no filling port yet designed. Some extra cc┤s are on the way (hope to reach 90cc mark) while still working to create air filter case/fuel tank/gear protector at just one piece.

If anyone are concerned about fuel tank to carb height, the 45║ engine up setup places carb right in the middle of fuel tank, so carb tunning won┤t be a problem.

Another part added to current date is the Quanum/ARX UD forks, and a rear Roadies 1/5 fitted up front.
Last edited by trf_414_m2; Jun 11, 2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 05:35 PM
Espa˝a, CL, ┴vila
Joined Sep 2008
547 Posts
94cc mark achieved...

Final fuel tank feature a new profile behind engine head and a long fueling neck with Kyosho cap.

More updates, I┤ve placed the receiver lipo battery right under 3 speed tranny inside a two piece battery mount. Front end is bolted to right engine mount ear while rear one is an extension of 3 speed clutch shaft bearing holder.

This battery mount accepts any 2S lipo up to 20mm thick and 30mm wide.

It┤s time to dedicate some time to the cooling fans mount (in front and left side of engine, 2 fans...) and locate where the servos would be. Steering one found its place years ago and I┤m thinking on a Jabber/SB5 setup (micro servo actuated brake) up front. In fact, the use of a rear 1/5 scale tyre and wheel leaves more room to install the servo inside the rim.

More news soon.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:44 PM
Joined Aug 2012
26 Posts
牛人啊,赞一个
zjbby is offline Find More Posts by zjbby
Old Jun 18, 2014, 01:31 AM
Espa˝a, CL, ┴vila
Joined Sep 2008
547 Posts
Thanks Zjbby
Old Jun 21, 2014, 05:30 AM
Espa˝a, CL, ┴vila
Joined Sep 2008
547 Posts
Friday┤s update.

I┤ve found some spare time this morning and created a 3D file for the coolong fans. The choosen model is 30mm dia 5V 10mm thick and I┤ve placed two in front and left side of engine.

Fan mount seems a single piece with front battery mount but they┤re two different parts. You can keep battery mount installed to engine with a single screw and taking the other will let fan mount free to be removed.

I think I can add an extra tab at fan mount mast in order to install a lipo regulator there, close to the battery, and get 5V from that point to the rest of the electrical installation of the bike.

The main goal is to keep bike components as grouped as possible for a clean look, no wires rods or tubes messing around.

More to come while some bike parts are on the way to home. Next step is to complete new carb design and then place throttle/rear brake servo. As I said in a previous post, front brake system will be SB5 style with microservo.

Cesar
Last edited by trf_414_m2; Jun 21, 2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:54 AM
Espa˝a, CL, ┴vila
Joined Sep 2008
547 Posts
One step beyond, carb design almost completed.

Protuding distance goal (12mm) was too narrow to create a 6mm venturi carb when applying current ideas to my design and my first carb outer profile was at 19mm mark from mounting port at engine rear end.

I decided to modify that first design keeping the venturi at 6mm size, and anytime during the process I went totally crazy, creating and spiral venturi that also turns 180 degree up to a standard 1/10 filter neck.

Carb body features a slide door (just 1.5mm thick) where low end needle and idle screw have been installed, while an OS remote needle installed right under fuel tank tunes high end.

This new carb design protudes only 15mm from engine rear end and can be hided inside any Duratrax lexan rider leg.

Still thinking about the best way to produce carb body (ceramic mould 3D printing and then casting, or 3D stainless print...) but I┤m not afraid about that by this date.

Maybe worldwide orders about it would ...

Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:01 PM
Espa˝a, CL, ┴vila
Joined Sep 2008
547 Posts
Summer racing is hot, so I┤ve modified fan mount for an extra one.

Three fans (2x30mm and 1x25mm) around engine connected to a temp checking system that will power each one individually. Small one will be continously spinning while one of the big fans will start to turn at a fixed temp and the other 20║ farther.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:27 PM
YOUTUBE - R/C Life Channel
Joined Sep 2010
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trf_414_m2 View Post
Three fans (2x30mm and 1x25mm) around engine connected to a temp checking system that will power each one individually.
That part!!!!!! completely nuts!!! SO cool, and detailed
kjohns0n is online now Find More Posts by kjohns0n
Old Jun 27, 2014, 02:35 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trf_414_m2 View Post
Summer racing is hot, so I┤ve modified fan mount for an extra one.

Three fans (2x30mm and 1x25mm) around engine connected to a temp checking system that will power each one individually. Small one will be continously spinning while one of the big fans will start to turn at a fixed temp and the other 20║ farther.
Very cool looking Bike!!

Do you have experience with these small fans?
In my opinion, especially on a Dirt Bike, it will not take very long until the first blades come off, and the bearings will start to fail.
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Jun 27, 2014, 07:15 AM
United States, CO, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2006
284 Posts
Water cooling would be trick and would take the punishment. This company sells micro pumps and radiators.

http://www.micropumps.co.uk
http://www.micropumps.co.uk/TCSAccessories.htm
Nolan Farmer is offline Find More Posts by Nolan Farmer