It's GoTime all the Time
United States, CA, Portola
Joined Nov 2011
181 Posts
Discussion
PasserX Questions Need Answered

The PasserX

My Build & Q&A

Choosing this Glider was easy. Cost is a key factor, the power set up was not as easy.
I wanted to stay under 24oz.

I went with the Propdrive 28-26/1000kV 315 watt,and the 30A Red Brick on 3s 1300 45/90C with an 11x8 prop. She will climb all most at 90* For the servos I used the Turnigy XGD-11HMB Digital Mini Servo.

Rx is the 6ch FrSky with a thermal scout on the telemetry AZ out put on Ch6 My Tx is a Jr9303 A/S with frsky telemetry DJT.

Thermaling Can a is a bit harder than my Goldberg Sophisticated Lady just because the PasserX just flys faster so in small thermals you need to fly a tight.

So far I can say that the PasserX is hands down one of the best for its price point. My set up is all HK and I love it.

I ordered the white because that was the only one R2 had at the time. The all white bottom is not good when flying when clouds are around. So I striped off the white under side and spiced it up a little.

This glider is for light sport But most of the time I will be thermaling it.

Q&A

So after flying it a few times the PasserX lands pretty fast with those thin wings.
Q1 So should one ADD FLAPS? I see R2 has the Raptor 2000 Advance and it has flaps. The main reason I would like Flaps is for landing as well for thurmaling.

Q2 At what cost is it worth to cut open the wing and do this?
( Added Weight VS Performance.)
Has any one done this with ther PasserX or other gliders?

Thanks GT
gotime360 is offline Find More Posts by gotime360
Last edited by gotime360; Jul 08, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2013, 04:21 PM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Aug 2010
131 Posts
No need for flaps, just use the spoilerons.

Search for other threads. There is a lot of info about passer-x there. Also search for Specter 1800 - this is the same glider from other supplier.
dinamich is offline Find More Posts by dinamich
Old Jul 08, 2013, 04:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,431 Posts
Hi, GT.

I have the Specter 1800 and it's quite a bit heavier than your Passer-X. The ailerons are big enough to make very effective spoilers and still maintain roll control on landing approaches. If there is any head wind at all I can "parachute" it in with almost zero ground speed. I also have it set up for about 3mm of flaperon and that helps to fly slower thermal turns. I also have about 3mm of up travel available but I find that I like it better to just let the nose drop a bit for wind penetration.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jul 08, 2013, 11:02 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
I just got mine in today and find that it is an awesome looking plane. The quality appears to be great and it looks like a pretty straight forward build. The only problem is that i'm going on leave for the next three weeks, so I won't be able to start building it until the end of July.
yellowcolorado is online now Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Jul 09, 2013, 08:47 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,074 Posts
I favor spoilerons on my gliders so the simple reason that if I need to abort the landing, I turn the spoilerons off and I'm immediately at flying speed again. Flaps add drag and increase lift. Turn flapps off and you may be under stall speed and suddenly find yourself without enough lift -and- speed.

If I need more braking action than the spoilerons provide, I pop the throttle open a few clicks. That is enough to deploy the prop (which adds a lot of drag) but not enough to add forward speed to the plane.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jul 10, 2013, 03:19 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
940 Posts
Very nice. What AUW did you end up with - less than 24 oz? Any problem reaching CG with the 1300 mAh battery? I'd probably want to go with a 1000 if I can reach CG.

One thing I was wondering is whether the folding prop is included in the kit. From your pictures it seems to be the case? Is that an 11x8?

Thanks!
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Last edited by 4x4rc; Jul 10, 2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:36 AM
It's GoTime all the Time
United States, CA, Portola
Joined Nov 2011
181 Posts
CG @ 66MM from LE. Using the smaller motor helps on CG with the 1300
I will try to do a video this weekend .
And yes stock prop 11x8
gotime360 is offline Find More Posts by gotime360