Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 01, 2014, 02:44 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,010 Posts
p901P901 , I tried to watch the video, just could not stay focused enough!!
If I was half in the bag, maybe!... Or if I lived in Colorado, ????

Well, haven't done a thing on the Scorp since last Sun, just had to do some ground work on the F-18. Interesting what you find out, that you didn't kow about them. Like the size difference between the variants-- A/B , C/D and E/F. And the same applies to the Haoye, KMP and JePe kits. Not that I'm a scale freak, but different kits are suited better to different variants, based on a L/WS ratio. After a little search on Airlines.net. I'll get back to the Scorpion.

With all this weather we have had, extreme cold-- (looks to be -25 tonight), tons of snow-- (already have exceeded our yearly total as of last week--85") and 2 more months of winter to go!! My ambition is not very high, I'm afraid... Still have lots of time to finish this before I even see any grass!!
23, 724
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2014, 06:33 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,010 Posts
Well, it's been a few days. For the Moment I've put the F-18 out of my --???? Rather time consuming, but a nice break!!.

I'm not patting myself on the back here; but I find realy hard projects most enjoyabale--and keeps the mind sharp.
Started on the Starfire first, then to the F-86F, then the Scorpion. My current "hardon" it the F-18 At some point in time they shall see airtime-- perhaps not the Starfire, much rather do the F-18.

Now I started on the Starfire in Jan 2012, F-86F Apr 20112--got seriously distracted here! Ran out of major cash for retracts, struts, etc, put on hold.
Developing a build is easy, now comes the Scorpion--really like all the paper work--ie figuring sh&t out! Almost there-- But other than the month I spent in the hospital, I've been working on these for a long time.--geting old!

Don't get me wrong. the Scorpion build will finish--up to the point of flying. Whole nother story

As most of you know, these jets, -scratch built or not, arn't cheap! So you get what you can,when you can--the rest waits. OK, tax rebate time!!

I have enough of a "Stash" to do the Scorpion, and most of the Sabre, BUT I REALLY NEED this F-18! It's called planning ahead.
So, shortly, I shall have the F-18k kit, and retracts. Mid March?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110847

AM I nuts?--Perhaps. .. But after having a stroke last Christmas, (2012) you have no idea of how much time you might have left. Make the most of it, go nuts-- When I first started in RC, mid 80"s , I always wanted a EDF, and I'll be damned, stroke or not , however long it takes. I'll have one!
23, 996
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:10 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,506 Posts
you need to focus man !.....wait ...never mind im in the same boat carry on ,whos going to fly these bad boys ? all this building and no flying is not good for the pilot skills...dont ask me how i know. glad your doing better and still have passion for this crazy hobby.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:32 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,010 Posts
Rodger,

Your right on. It was time for a diversion. I have spent the last several yrs working on my creations, and No , NONE have flown yet. No matter.

I need some thing to keep me busy, haven't driven since my stroke, so I can only stay focused so long on one project. Winter is NOT over and done yet here in the north. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...19795227050781

Just trying to keep the old mind sharp? None of my projects are going anywhere and I , unfortunatly have tons of time--just not enough money!

This F-18 was a good way to keep my sanity. ( Thank you, J Morgan )The Y/A F-18 is way out of my range NOW, so this will be have to do. You can't quite dreaming!!
The challenge now is to do my best to make it look like one. --It will happen.

I have no lack of projects, sometimes it's just ambition.
It' been a real long, cold winter this year. It takes it's toll after awhile.

Thanks for taking time.
Mark
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Mar 14, 2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:49 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,506 Posts
well you very good at serching info ....you have helped a lot of guys . my hat is off to you . and your mind is sharp...waiting to see pics of your F-18 build.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:01 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,010 Posts
At least I'm good at one thing!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:46 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,010 Posts
We just can't catch a break!!

Winter Storm Warning is in effect until further notice

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...19795227050781

6" to 12" of wet, heavy snow!!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 03:04 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,230 Posts
Man its like 70s here.
We are in a drought condition and water conservation will start soon. California is giving us incentives to go to drought tolerant landscaping and solar panels. Looks like we are into a new way of living out here. I am at retirement age so maybe I need to move and find a hobby . Looking for a decent place for perfect flying conditions and not windy like out here. Tennessee, Kentucky, Nevada?
p901P901 is online now Find More Posts by p901P901
Old Mar 17, 2014, 03:17 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,742 Posts
we just got about 6 inch a few days ago of the heavy wet chit. My blower went down,and I was in trouble with my sciatic nerve killing me. Im glad my nephew helped me hand shovel the half which was left from the blower going down. My worse fear this time of year with the heavy wet stuff coming. All season its been the light fluff I could handle if the blower went down. This one had my left arm and left leg throbbing for two days of intense pain. I been out sitting on a milk crate trying to fix one of the broke toro's. I got the snapper almost ready needed a new carb. The toro sheared the crank keyway throwing the timing off. My big sear's blower needs bearing on both ends of the auger and the bearing on the second stage auger that spits the snow out the shoot is wasted causing it to slip and not throw the snow. it is next to fix.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Mar 17, 2014, 03:42 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,010 Posts
I just hope this coming April isn't like last year. We got over 50" + . set all sorts of records.. Snowiest April on record..

UC, I think it was last Wed we also got 6-7" .. Now for the year were over 90"+, I live over the hill. just outside of Duluth city limits, and the elelvation is about 700-800 ft higher, we tend to get more snow.. (over the hill) This should put us well over a 100" -so far.

p901P901--sorry no mountains in MN like Ca..... You can have some of our Snow. Water--no problem--lots of it (this you CAN'T have) , Lake Superior is right here.

were at 26 F right now, and the next week or so should be around 30F during the day. We still have a solid 3' of snow min. --everywhere.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Mar 17, 2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:58 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,230 Posts
I was thinking of how your Scorpion is feeling
I'M SO LONESOME I COULD CRY (1949) by Hank Williams (3 min 1 sec)
p901P901 is online now Find More Posts by p901P901
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:36 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Jun 2011
303 Posts
Seems like a lot of guys we all have the same thing in common. Far too many builds on the go. The other thing you and I have in common is this F-18. I reckon I'm not going to be putting retracts in mine due to weight issues I've put mine on the back burner for a couple weeks just to clear my head. Although I have followed Jepe's mods rather closely. I've glassed the wings and put in 6mm washout at the wing tip, I've put in 2 pringles containers for intake ducts, 2 68mm RCLander alloy edf units to run on twin 4000 mah 6s lipos and I've reshaped the wing strake by thinning it out. I started painting the vert stabs to break up the build just to change things up. I plan on bungee dolly launching this bird but she is big and will be beautiful.

I assume you've found Kevin Cox's build here? Good luck with the build. ther is a lot of modifications needed but it should be worth it.
Shane Sunday is offline Find More Posts by Shane Sunday
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:49 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,010 Posts
p901P901 and Shane Sunday

I think AIR SALLY said it just right, in Ron 101's --Yellow Aircraft Twin F-18 build thread ,
Quote:
I got bug fever after seeing the blue Angels fly yesterday
..... Good thing they don't come to Duluth until Aug 23-24

http://www.duluthairshow.com/2014/index.html

Yes, I have been quite remiss in my Scorpion build, that's true.. Alot of that is that this damn winter won't end-- just on the noon weather, it was said we broke another record-- over 75 days below 0.. More snow on Thus, we already have close to 100" so far!!, and April isn't here yet. Last April, we broke all records for that month--53" of snow..

My other excuse is this F-18. Have wanted one for years, but most were way out on my price range. Even this foamy, the way I plan on doing it won't be cheap. But the initial cash out lay was much less--the rest will come in time.

For now I have satisfied my "need to know" on what and how to do what I want on the "BUG" , so later today it goes back in the box, and I'll get back on the Scorpion. First thing I need to do is to glue on the wing tips, and glass them and the center section. I'll wait on the rest of the wing untill the stabs are done, as they will need to be glassed to.

After my stroke I had to sell my vechicle, no job--no money! So I need to purchase something at some point in time. ( the field is about 15-20 miles away.) Don't think there will be any flying this summer _ ( if we ever get one) so, No real rush in any case.

I'm sure many others who live in the northern tier of states have also experienced an alarming cost for heating this season --mine's about 2 1/2 times what I would normally pay. Less funds for building!!!---I like to stay warm too!!!

I've been working on one project or another for about 3 years steady. Perhaps a little burn out?? So that's it in a nut shell. Don't worry, I'll get back in the saddle!!

But the F-18, was a refreshing break!!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 04:35 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
p901P901 and Shane Sunday

I think AIR SALLY said it just right, in Ron 101's --Yellow Aircraft Twin F-18 build thread , ..... Good thing they don't come to Duluth until Aug 23-24

http://www.duluthairshow.com/2014/index.html

Yes, I have been quite remiss in my Scorpion build, that's true.. Alot of that is that this damn winter won't end-- just on the noon weather, it was said we broke another record-- over 75 days below 0.. More snow on Thus, we already have close to 100" so far!!, and April isn't here yet. Last April, we broke all records for that month--53" of snow..

My other excuse is this F-18. Have wanted one for years, but most were way out on my price range. Even this foamy, the way I plan on doing it won't be cheap. But the initial cash out lay was much less--the rest will come in time.

For now I have satisfied my "need to know" on what and how to do what I want on the "BUG" , so later today it goes back in the box, and I'll get back on the Scorpion. First thing I need to do is to glue on the wing tips, and glass them and the center section. I'll wait on the rest of the wing untill the stabs are done, as they will need to be glassed to.

After my stroke I had to sell my vechicle, no job--no money! So I need to purchase something at some point in time. ( the field is about 15-20 miles away.) Don't think there will be any flying this summer _ ( if we ever get one) so, No real rush in any case.

I'm sure many others who live in the northern tier of states have also experienced an alarming cost for heating this season --mine's about 2 1/2 times what I would normally pay. Less funds for building!!!---I like to stay warm too!!!

I've been working on one project or another for about 3 years steady. Perhaps a little burn out?? So that's it in a nut shell. Don't worry, I'll get back in the saddle!!

But the F-18, was a refreshing break!!
I know lots of people have moved out of what I call up north, after all the people sold out most the stores up there are gone same with gas stations, There is property all over up there forsale. and the U.P. is the same probably cant afford to fire the car up to get to the grocery stores that are left.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Old Mar 24, 2014, 04:50 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,010 Posts
I'm not that far "up north"! I don't know for sure, but I would guess in and around the Duluth,MN/Superior,WS (twin ports) the population is decent--175,000- 200,000, but not huge by any stretch for sure.. say a 30 mile radius.?

I wouldn't want to live in any bigger city. I just fine where I am.

All the stores I could ever want are within 5mi. --everything! And lots of them. We get many bus loads of people on shopping trips to the Miller Hill Mall from the Iron Range and as far away as Thunder Bay ,Ont.

Don't get me wrong, I like winter, just not this much of it!