HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:35 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,261 Posts
Build Log
W. T. Preston 1/32nd Scale Snagboat

I'd like to consolidate all my entries into this thread. Any way to do this?

After buying the MicroMark Photo etching kit and getting some kind of mental block preventing me from using it to make parts for my snagboat, I broke it out and decided to get it over with. Much to my surprise, the kit was easy to use. I had finished the artwork months ago. I etched the Army Corps of Engineer crest, brass letters for the name boards on the wheel house and spelter sockets, (gizmos that go on the end of a cable or line enabling it to be bolted to a turnbuckle) The whole project took about 3 hours. Everything you need is in the kit, including brass and steel 0.010" sheet stock, a laminator, photoresist, chemicals, tank, safety gear and good instructions. Now I can move forward with finishing up detail work on the superstructure. I also received my Water Level Detector System and feed water pump two days ago. It won't be long before she goes in the water for sea trials. The temporary electric drive is now working. The steam engine waxes are about ready to go to the foundry for casting in bronze. Below are a few photos of this evening's work with brass etching.

Snagboat Mike
hookpilot is online now Find More Posts by hookpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:12 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
Nice work.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:00 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,577 Posts
Ask the mods.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:34 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
This is the Mod to ask ( he helped us arrange other topics-- good luck

A quote form a prior thread-

"Thanks to Jim T. Graham RCGroups Admin Deluxe, this thread is now a Stickie.
Regards,
Gerald. "
mogogear is offline Find More Posts by mogogear
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:48 PM
Oscar
Canada, NB
Joined Mar 2012
40 Posts
The crests and other pieces look great.

Everytime I see a picture of your boat with all the little parts I can't help but admire it.
Oscarfish48 is offline Find More Posts by Oscarfish48
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:29 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarfish48 View Post
The crests and other pieces look great.

Everytime I see a picture of your boat with all the little parts I can't help but admire it.
Thanks. I appreciate the comments. I work in a very nice shop by myself, so hearing feedback is always welcome.

Snagboat Mike
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:39 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,261 Posts
Etched Brass Parts Installed

More progress to report on the W.T. Preston build. After etching brass parts for the boat I was able to spend some time tonight painting, soldering and installing them. First I painted 2 Corps of Engineers crests and glued them on the smokestack. Next came soldering the spelter sockets to cut lengths of twisted steel cable for the hog truss bracing for the crane. 4 cables were made up and installed tonight. 6 to go. And finally, the name boards are now done. It's officially the W.T. Preston, etched in brass. I also took my brass sheet to a metal fabricator. He's bending the sheet into a 1/2" deep drip pan that the boiler equipment will sit in. I could have chosen thinner brass and bent it myself, but ended up with thicker stuff I couldn't bend. This will work out better since I'll need to add ballast to the boat anyway. In a few days I'll get all the copper steam tubing and three globe valves from Maccsteam. With these things, I can begin building up the boiler room.

I received notification from MainSteam that their very nice steam regulator valves have been discontinued. If someone has a source for a good RC steam regulator valve, I'm in the market.

Snagboat Mike
Last edited by hookpilot; Jan 09, 2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:23 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,577 Posts
Amazing work as always, Mike. Your's would easily be one the masterclass builds over at MBM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:12 AM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
Mike there is another post asking about steam regulators with several sources listed there. They should fill the bill. One is in Australia and the other is in Switzerland and and also Polly Engineering / UK
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmill View Post
Amazing work as always, Mike. Your's would easily be one the masterclass builds over at MBM.
Thanks for the comment. What is MBM? Ah, I looked it up. It sounds like you have to be nominated and then be accepted for inclusion.

Cheers,

Snagboat Mike
Last edited by hookpilot; Jan 08, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:15 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookpilot View Post
Thanks for the comment. What is MBM? Ah, I looked it up. It sounds like you have to be nominated and then be accepted for inclusion.

Cheers,

Snagboat Mike
Model Boat Mayhem -You just have to be a member to read posts in certain sections--
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:17 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogogear View Post
Model Boat Mayhem -You just have to be a member to read posts in certain sections--
I'm a member, just never noticed the master modeler section.

Mike
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:42 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,577 Posts
You would have to have your build posted on their site to be considered for the Masterclass but your work certainly does merits the honor.

I had earlier posted a link on Paddeducks to your original build thread. You certainly will have them eating out of your hand if you updated a few of your updated photos on their site.

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6033.0
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:03 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmill View Post
You would have to have your build posted on their site to be considered for the Masterclass but your work certainly does merits the honor.

I had earlier posted a link on Paddeducks to your original build thread. You certainly will have them eating out of your hand if you updated a few of your updated photos on their site.

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6033.0
Yep--I am a member there as well- It is a quieter site for sure - but they always welcome more build posts for paddlers!!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:45 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,261 Posts
Waxes off to the Foundry

At last, the cylinder waxes are at the foundry for casting. There are many side projects going on with this build. The steam donkey build is well underway. The hog rod system construction is moving along. The spud lift engine and mechanism, well, that one has yet to start. Railing is ready to start building in place. Stanchions have been cut and notched. All bollards, and cleats are built and ready to install.

Snagboat Mike