Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:32 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,712 Posts
Just a note here on terminology. Jamming is a term used to denote intentional disruption of electromagnetic signals by swamping the frequency band with high level signals. Inadvertant disruption of electromagnetic signals, as being discussed in this thread, is called interference.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:02 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,040 Posts
Corrections

Police do use 2.4 giga hertz on a lot of equipment..

Do a web search of...........police equipment on 2.4 giga hertz. Plenty of their gear is on that frequency.

I may be old at 75. But I do know & check out what others are saying is not correct.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:28 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,040 Posts
K BC company sells 2.4 giga equipment part 90 of FCC requirements. super hih power that will reach out 3 to 130 miles in good conditions. Federal, state, local, Police ,fire, Bombsquads & anybody else can apply for the station license to operate.

You now realize that triple triple secret agencies can do what ever they want with any transmission frequencies & power levels they can afford. If their beam meets your receiver antenna. Glitch that is not recoverable in time. Yet after the crash has everything working fine again.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:28 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
You now realize that triple triple secret agencies can do what ever they want with any transmission frequencies & power levels they can afford. .
Tin foil hat time

And remember that 2.4Ghz is a wide band and within that band RC systems can operate on maybe 100 different frequencies. Any signal no matter how powerful wont block them all. Even if the interference coincided with a frequency your Tx is using that wont cause a problem because you either have two frequencies working together (DSM2) or hop between many different frequencies (FHSS type systems)

And the strangest thing.. After these mysterious signals shoot your model down they invariably vanish as quickly as they appeared so that by the time you walk to the crashed plane everything is working fine again... funny that!
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Oct 28, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:24 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
Can't help it:

I'm having trouble with the radar, sir (1 min 38 sec)
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:46 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
K BC company sells 2.4 giga equipment part 90 of FCC requirements. super hih power that will reach out 3 to 130 miles in good conditions. Federal, state, local, Police ,fire, Bombsquads & anybody else can apply for the station license to operate.

You now realize that triple triple secret agencies can do what ever they want with any transmission frequencies & power levels they can afford. If their beam meets your receiver antenna. Glitch that is not recoverable in time. Yet after the crash has everything working fine again.
...and yet despite this hundreds of thousands of modellers manage to operate 2.4GHz systems from every brand without issue every week. Why? Because in the real world the cross-band interference you speak of is somewhere between incredibly rare and non-exixtent - I've never seen it, and I suspect 99.99% of modellers haven't either (the model boats example Andy cited is the only time I've heard of something like that, so I think we should consider it the exception that proves the rule!).

So what is important in the real world? Resistance to narrowband interference (be that from other TXs or other commercial/consumer kit that operates in the 2.4 waveband). The good news is that the hopping functionality of all the latest 2.4 systems renders them far superior to the older 35/72MHz kit, which has zero capability in that respect - if something intereferes with your frequency, you're going down. Even DSM2 (which just grabs two free frequencies when switched on) give an order of magnitude better resilience. And remember, we've already proved in this thread that the authorities you are so worried about also have plenty of kit that operates in the MHz band too.

Ultimately success with 2.4 is about understanding - understanding how the tech works, it's power requirements and how to install it in your model. Most important is understanding that standard good practices with 35/72MHz won't guarantee success with 2.4 - that doesn't make it a worse system, but does mean you need to learn some new rules of thumb. I strongly suspect the latter point is at the root of the huge majority of 2.4 "issues" that get reported on the forums (I'll admit that many modelling issues I've had over the years have had their root cause somewhere else in the control system... )

PS - If you want to learn more about 2.4 technology I recommend this video from Radio Carbon Art. I bought it for a fiver on a whim at our club sale, but it's already paid for itself many times over by allowing me to avoid the 2.4 "gotchas" that often occur when experienced modellers adopt the technology for the first time.
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 29, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:56 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,731 Posts
If 2.4 is subject to jamming, will 72 PRESERVE their planes????

Ahahahahaha.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
All Spektrum air systems are now DSMX which has frequency hopping and is arguably the most robust system currently out there, or at least as good as any other. It's certainly every bit as secure in high traffic environment as FASST.

There is nothing wrong with DSM2 unless you are in a massively high traffic area such as a big flying meeting where there may be in the order of 100 DSM2 Tx's all transmitting together, and so a real risk of grabbing the same two frequencies. If you don't fly at big meetings then it's no issue because the Tx will always grab two free frequencies when it's turned on.
Funnily enough the fact that all Spektrum systems are now DSMX frequency hopping should I think mean that the older DSM2 systems are more secure than they used to be in those big flying meetings. There is less and less chance of enough DSM2 Tx's being active to cause issues.
I'd venture a guess that 99.9% percent of all 'interference' issues involve a thumb to knob interface issue..

DSM2 can NOT grab a freq already being used as I understand it. Upon activation it scans for an unused band and using that...BUT didn't you state that here." then it's no issue because the Tx will always grab two free frequencies when it's turned on." So how can there be two xmitters on the same freq?? I'm confused, but have never been interfered...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Last edited by rtbates; Oct 29, 2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: add
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:13 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
DSM2 can NOT grab a freq already being used as I understand it. Upon activation it scans for an unused band and using that...BUT didn't you state that here." then it's no issue because the Tx will always grab two free frequencies when it's turned on." So how can there be two xmitters on the same freq?? I'm confused, but have never been interfered...
Yeah, the problem comes when there are so many transmitters operating that the Tx cant find a free frequency and so ends up being forced to take one that's already occupied. This could only occur if there are very many transmitters operating simultaneously, like some of the biggest flying meetings.

If you just fly alone, with a few friends or at regular club fields then it's a non-issue.

I fully agree with your first point. The vast majority of so called interference is user error either in poor set up or most likely dumb thumb error. The fact that the 'interference' can hardly ever be reproduced after the crash speaks volumes.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:22 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Yeah, the problem comes when there are so many transmitters operating that the Tx cant find a free frequency and so ends up being forced to take one that's already occupied.
Seems like an odd failure mode. Should it just not grab any frequencies if it's can't find one (so, obviously, it wouldn't work, but that's better then crashing).
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:23 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,505 Posts
Supposedly (they say 'theoretically'), about 500 Tx's (some say 1000) should be able to operate on 2.4 at the same time. I don't know the channel resolution of most 2.4 systems, but I wouldn't be surprised if that number is true.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:29 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee View Post
Seems like an odd failure mode. Should it just not grab any frequencies if it's can't find one (so, obviously, it wouldn't work, but that's better then crashing).
It was a real issue (albeit in very limited conditions).. That's why Spektrum moved to DSMX

To get the full details you would best ask over in the radios forum as the guys with the real in depth knowledge live there.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:41 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,995 Posts
Beat you to it! but the video helps haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Raspberry jam....must be Lone Star!!!
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:59 PM
OEF 10-11
United States, NC, Taylorsville
Joined Oct 2012
219 Posts
I fly on 72mhz. No one around me flies so I ain't to worried about someone turning something on and bringing my stuff down lol.
new user is offline Find More Posts by new user
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:55 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,287 Posts
Nice thing about 72mHz these days is that there are so few people flying it that the chances of getting shot down are pretty low. I still use 72 for my slope gliders, and now I worry a lot less about someone down in the valley below my hill flying some other aircraft, because most likely it'll be on 2.4,
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee