HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
update

files have been updated along with pictures.
sorry for any inconvenience.
iBoat is offline Find More Posts by iBoat
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
We have a few boats being started. If anyone building could shoot me a message, I'd love to keep you guys updated without flooding the mesage boards.

Keel and bulb drawings coming soon. We'll have various bulb shapes to play with available for download.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:20 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoat View Post
I'd love to keep you guys updated without flooding the mesage boards.
Flood away! looking forward to seeing some of these boats!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:24 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Chris,
I haven't gone throughout the rules to much but what materials are you allowing for the boats to be built from?
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
class rules follow up

Rules are being edited and rewritten still. Boats can be built from anything commercially available. Carbon, glass, kevlar, balsa, ply, honeycomb, foam, etc...

The original TP rules are 40 pages long. I plan to have it narrowed down to a few pages over the weekend. The hardest part is testing the rule for scaling. Which isn't too difficult, but for instance, if you scale the bulb rule down, do you get a bulb that can support the scale sail plan, etc... the good answer to that and most questions is yes.

Real TP52's have a 1% deck camber. For practicality sake, things like that have been removed. 1% on a model is 1/10 of an inch. You won't even notice it. So we are looking at things like that as well.

We've got about six different TP52 designs. All pretty similar, that we'll be posting over time. The biggest thing is that the boats need to resemble a real TP52. This means cockpits, any above deck hardware should resemble real hardware... unlike let's say the J class, where the boats can be finished off to not resemble original J boats...

-Chris
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:29 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,094 Posts
Chris,

I am not knocking what you are trying to do but where do you want he class to go? Bloody expensive like all the international classes? My opinion would be like IOM To a degree non carbon hulls but allow C/F rigs.
This would allow vacuum formed hulls and home builders without going to carbon. C/F tubes for masts are very cheap nowadays so this would help.
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
Carbon

Mike,

Why can't a home builder do carbon ? Bought by an individual carbon can be had for this boat for about $140. Maybe less. I bought a roll of it which is far cheaper.

Now, the question, where do I want it to go? Wherever it goes... I'll be offering up hulls for pretty little money, so if you want to get a hull for $250 or so, exact cost to be determined based on total bill of materials, it's going to be feasible.

The big misconception, is that carbon is better than glass. That may or may not be true. Carbon is more stiff per weight, however, 10oz carbon weighs the same as 10oz glass. Your boat might be more stiff however.

I recently built a 1.7m boat. All carbon with a glass outer shell. I think in a class where there is a limited keel weight, and an all up boat weight, there is no real advantage to carbon over glass. Not at this scale. We dont experience the loads that makes it beneficial. So going with either product, would be equally suitable. Mot people don't even build with carbon correctly, weave in wrong direction, or what not.... If you understand weave and modulus, you can make a pretty stiff glass boat at this scale easily.

The goal here is to have a scale racing boat. No an iom, or a one meter... Or anything along those lines... It should be a working model of the real thing, with obvious limits of scale and rc.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Do you have any photos of the other RC sailboats you've finsihed? I'd love to see one!
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
Sure Fokker I do. check out i550elroy.blogspot.com.

I've built numerous boats ranging in size from RC to Mt Gay 30.

I've been out of RC boats for a few years, and last year bought some CR914s. Now I've recently completed my hull for a 1.7M, which you should be able to see onthe 1.7M site, pics uploaded there. Or, if you are DYING to see one, I'll take one and post tomorrow. wait, maybe I have one on my phone here... hold on... I'll upload a pic of it to the tp52blog shortly.

Hey Fokker, do you have pictures of boats you've built ?
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Are you trying to call me out? LOL. Sure, the only RC sailboat I've built is a Tippecanoe 37 kit finished in August.

Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:58 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker Ace View Post
Are you trying to call me out? LOL.
Nice job on the boat, Fokker Ace!

One of my semi-scale IOR boats (Half Tonner, 1977-ish ) in case you are wondering.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Aero, I LOVE that boat you built! Looks like it would sail great and fantastic lines. Where can we see more of that one?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
boat pics

Very cool pics. nice.

I'm probably going to be kicking out a few hulls once we build a mold. I MIGHT have a few I'd be willing to let go for free, to a committed builder.

First come first serve. Preferably different areas of the country/world.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:22 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,773 Posts
Any new developments?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:36 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
491 Posts
TP52 looks like it would be a fun sail.
seabee CE is online now Find More Posts by seabee CE
Last edited by seabee CE; Nov 17, 2012 at 07:49 PM.