HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:06 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,142 Posts
I got another break in the weather and made a second flight with it tonight...inverted is hands off, low and slow is great, starting to get the hover thing going with old brain cells, and the old battery cells requires almost full power to hover with no punch out, and it's a 600 mah, 2 cell pack, only get about 6 minutes and it's done. Cell Pro says 65% used up. hurry up and get more batteries in stock. My son wanted to fly it and I said NO, get yours built.

Is anybody else having any issues with prop wobble / centering on the 1900 KV motor ( 8x4 prop), hole in prop is larger than hub on the machined prop saver, ( and a hex shape also)and the prop won't center, so it runs off center and vibrates.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:20 AM
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Jul 2011
34 Posts
I've got the 9x4.7 on mine, no wobbles. Only static testing tonight but it is finished just have to add a little color to aid in orientation. Have to wait for a break in the weather and I'll give her a try.
perry3182 is offline Find More Posts by perry3182
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:34 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2003
863 Posts
Eliminate the wobble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
I got another break in the weather and made a second flight with it tonight...inverted is hands off, low and slow is great, starting to get the hover thing going with old brain cells, and the old battery cells requires almost full power to hover with no punch out, and it's a 600 mah, 2 cell pack, only get about 6 minutes and it's done. Cell Pro says 65% used up. hurry up and get more batteries in stock. My son wanted to fly it and I said NO, get yours built.

Is anybody else having any issues with prop wobble / centering on the 1900 KV motor ( 8x4 prop), hole in prop is larger than hub on the machined prop saver, ( and a hex shape also)and the prop won't center, so it runs off center and vibrates.
try balancing the prop.
jofo1 is offline Find More Posts by jofo1
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:20 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,230 Posts
Hello Neil, if balancing the prop doesn't completely take care of it let me know. I've got some better prop bands I can send out to you to try. It may also be a defective prop. They are supposed to be hex but they should be a fairly snug fit. If you have another prop maybe try swapping. Let me know what happens so I can warranty what I need to.

Batteries are in transit and should be hear soon.. I'm in desperate need of them.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:15 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,381 Posts
Ordered mine today! I decided to go with plain white. I also ordered a sheet of 9mm 1.3# epp. So those two purchases lead me to my question... What kind of spray paint is being used on epp?
I foolishly sold my compressor in a garage sale last summer. And I said I'm probably going to regret that. Sure enough, I get into foamies.

I've been browsing and asking questions over in the scratch build threads but it's rather quiet over there. So if anyone can tell me what kind of spray paint they have had success with on epp I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:32 PM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,301 Posts
I've painted a few EPP foamies. Krylon Fusion is excellent, Krylon H2O is ok but very runny.
Really just about any paint works on EPP. Acylic, laquer, enamel etc.
You can wipe EPP with acetone or MEK and it does not melt. EPP isn't affected by solvents like you are use to in other types of foam.
You can always just use a test piece, but anything goes with EPP.

Just one other thing, use as light coats as you can, the EPP doesn't soak the paint up put builds in the porousness of the foam.
Use just enough to give the color you want and you won't gain much weight.
microDan is offline Find More Posts by microDan
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:03 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
I've painted a few EPP foamies. Krylon Fusion is excellent, Krylon H2O is ok but very runny.
Really just about any paint works on EPP. Acylic, laquer, enamel etc.
You can wipe EPP with acetone or MEK and it does not melt. EPP isn't affected by solvents like you are use to in other types of foam.
You can always just use a test piece, but anything goes with EPP.

Just one other thing, use as light coats as you can, the EPP doesn't soak the paint up put builds in the porousness of the foam.
Use just enough to give the color you want and you won't gain much weight.
Cool. Thanks. Because I was getting a headache from reading all these painting threads.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:21 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,962 Posts
Flew the slicko today and will probably get some more flights in tomorrow. Had a few people ask about the slicko and flying in general. Its always interesting when the general public see's rc planes or cars for the first time,was flying and running cars at a 4th of july fest demo before the fireworks show.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Farm Flying
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:45 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,142 Posts
Made a couple more flights tonight, longest hover was 12 / 15 seconds, flew it into the apple tree inverted ( I was distracted by laughter ), and it ejected the battery twice. Glides really nice and flat with less weight.

I think I might make a new horn for the aileron servo and get a little differental just for test. Oh ya, if you all remember the pics with the sheet of balsa under the plane during the build, I ended up with 1/8th inch dihiedral under each tip and while flying it really slow in a normal attitude, ie: like a trainer, it is really stable. Would I do it again ?? mabe, we will se how the kid's plane flys stock.

I did look further into the prop wobble thing, and the hub is not cast centered, was able to measure the difference at ten-thousands of an inch, so total wobble is .020". You can see the offset of the hub just by looking at it, and I got 3 props that are the same. My old GWS 8x4DD prop is dead nuts centered, so I bored out a 8x4.3 GWS slofly prop and flew it until I can get new props.

Great plane !!
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:59 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,230 Posts
Hey maxxnut, good find on the props. I'll shoot you an email.

BTW: Don't worry about the 4 people that came in and voted 1 star on your awesome thread recently, it was a matter of time. I'm certain the competition doesn't like the Slicko.. or most anyone elses planes that are more competitive than theirs either.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:08 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,142 Posts
Huh ??? voting on a thread ? news to me, I am a little bit of a country bumpkin and don't pay much attention to the modern stuff that is in the internet world today. don't have facebook, smart phone, I-pod, note pad, tweet, twitter, or any of the likes. I don't even have cable or satalite TV, cause I just don't care.
I did this build thread because I got excited about a product and wanted to share that with others, but understand that different people have different likes and I can't do anything about that, so I don't try. For me, the moment any plane that I launch starts to fly, I have NO other issues on my mind, the surrounding world does not exist, just me and the plane.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:18 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,230 Posts
Right on! LIfes to short to get caught up in all that stuff anyway.

I'm going to go through all my props and check for tolerances on them. I think you're right, at least one of the molds from the manufactuer is out of spec on the 8040 props. Again, thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
Huh ??? voting on a thread ? news to me, I am a little bit of a country bumpkin and don't pay much attention to the modern stuff that is in the internet world today. don't have facebook, smart phone, I-pod, note pad, tweet, twitter, or any of the likes. I don't even have cable or satalite TV, cause I just don't care.
I did this build thread because I got excited about a product and wanted to share that with others, but understand that different people have different likes and I can't do anything about that, so I don't try. For me, the moment any plane that I launch starts to fly, I have NO other issues on my mind, the surrounding world does not exist, just me and the plane.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Jul 2011
34 Posts
Got mine in the air today. Flew three batteries incident free. I am not a 3d pilot yet so I can't really comment on it's 3d capabilities but for nice easy slow flying it was great. Did a few loops and rolls with ease. I must say this is the plane I was looking for. Started flying last year with a supercub, got bored of that and moved on to warbirds. Although I like flying the warbirds I was missing something, tried a pz extra 300 and it was a little to fast for my capabilities. This thing is just what I wanted, I can try things and not get into trouble with this thing. Nice and slow. Heres my setup:
12 amp esc and a king 2206 motor from rcbuilder
9x4.7 prop
hk hxt900 on aileron
hk hxt500 on rudder and elevator
turnigy nanotech 3s 460mah

Need more batteries as I can get 4mins flight time right now and I'm pretty sure I can stretch it out to 5.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:17 PM
RC keeps me sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,301 Posts
What Kv is that motor? You might want to try an 8x4DD GWS prop that might increase your flight time on 3s. I'm running 1900kv 8x4 on 2s 450 and on 3s 450mah it's ballistic.
5 minute flight times with cell voltage 3.72 -3.82 depending on hovering time.
microDan is offline Find More Posts by microDan
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Jul 2011
34 Posts
Pretty sure it is 1500kv but I'm not 100%. Maybe Khen can chime in. I don't think 5 mins will be an issue. I set my timer for 4 mins to be safe as the lipo's were brand new so I took it easy until I get a few cycles on them to break them in. I only put 260mah back in after 4mins of easy flying.