Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:11 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
The world has moved on and the market, like it or not, has changed...

We may be buying fools gold in that some of those components are not much more than rubbish and supply of spare parts may be iffy
Sad, but true.

Down here in New Zealand the market for GWS kits has dropped right off, and people are buying Chinese rtf models because they are less work and the prices are more attractive. However many of these models are badly engineered, have junk electronics, and require non-standard spare parts that are hard to get. People are attracted by the low price and quick assembly, but end up being frustrated by poor construction and performance, frequent component failures and difficulty of repair.

I have had the dubious pleasure of test flying and attempting to fix the problems in some of those cheap rtf offerings, and they were all pigs compared to my GWS models. Unfortunately due to the lack of demand for GWS kits, shops can no longer justify stocking them, and the few customers who do want them are being turned away.

There are a few GWS kits I still want to build, and I may also want to replace some of my old 'battle-worn' models. However I probably won't get the chance, even though I am currently working in a hobby shop that imports GWS products! The reason? "Why would we continue to stock GWS kits, when we had to discount prices below cost to move the last shipment?".

I believe there is still a market for kits that allow the customer the choice of customizing and installing their own quality gear etc., but with GWS apparently throwing in the towel and few other manufacturers offering anything similar, I suspect it won't be long before that choice is gone forever. Some people may eventually wake up and realize that 'the market' is not meeting their needs - but by that time it will be too late. Yes, the World has moved on - but where is it is moving to?
Bruce Abbott is online now Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:58 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
178 Posts
Would it not be a good idea if GWS started selling to the individual other than as in the past to the main suppliers in each country...... I know the air freight charges are pretty prohibitive but surely the surface post, although it would take a lot longer , could be used. as it is , most of my electronics come directly from HK and usually on small itens the postage is free...... people out here in modeling world want GWS kits, for all the afore mentioned reason given by Roger, but they are becoming unavailable now
gordynic is offline Find More Posts by gordynic
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:38 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
GWS were told (by their personal customers) that if they wanted to trade direct with those customers they needed to set up a secure payment system, like just about every decent online retailer in the world. As with so many other positive suggestions about how to help GWS prosper we were ignored, and worse still, (but as usual) ignored without even the courtesy of an explanation. I've dealt with, and been part of, major businesses delivering world class customer delight and I've coached senior and I mean senior executives in how to build customer relationships. GWS, sadly, is my benchmark for how to do it completely wrong and I conclude it is because there was one person taking all the decisions and he was doing what he wanted, maybe what he thought was right, but he wasn't listening to his paying customers - that's us, not the dealers, us. That's probably the stupidest mistake you can make in business. And he has reaped the whirlwind. And I already miss their products because they got me into this fascinating world and maybe about a year before it started to go wrong GWS was really looking as though it was starting to deliver some great and well designed stuff.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:53 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
178 Posts
Its a shame as I said, this evening I flew my very old formosa and cargotrans c130 the C130 has sat in the loft, or the garage for 5 years the formosa is older and has been rebuilt more times than it deserves, but it still flies like its on rails........... I managed to get my hands on a texan a couple of weeks ago and it has been a joy (again) to build and improve the basic aircraft.........and has dragged my backside for a while away from this damned machine......but it looks like I'll have to look elsewhere in future for myaircraft
gordynic is offline Find More Posts by gordynic
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,508 Posts
I have an old Formosa (actually my 3rd as I wore the foam out on the other 2). I tend to only fly it in ideal conditions now...ya know to make it last a little longer..... GREAT flying plane. A VERY good "replacement" all be it, a bit more expensive, is the Wings Maker Sunrise......

FWIW, @gordynic... Watching the Scott Murray on TV now... SO close (at least now). They were talking about him in 09 when we were there... Hope he gets it.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Oct 2005
552 Posts
Formosa

rcav8r2; BP Hobbies has a Formosa II in stock, no power system. Wait until next
week to order. bphobbies.com is going to have a summer sale and i beleive it will
include all GWS products. Bob
bob2005 is offline Find More Posts by bob2005
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:34 PM
raydeeo - Top Spin
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Redacted Content.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:04 AM
God of Gravity Poisoning
Joined Nov 2010
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raydeeo View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a Formosa 2?
This guy is great he sell everything you need to complete the plane his shipping is a cheap flat rate also he ships quick. They are also pretty quick to reply to questions (by email).

Formosa 2 NPS (see link for recommended setup)

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...OSA--II/Detail

BTW, I found this intriguing thread over on the Hobby King bulletin board. It seems Mrs. Lin may have run off with a substantial portion of Mr. Lin's assets back in 2008 and Mr. Lin has been quietly trying to restructure his company ever since. This isn't a confirmed fact but it does seem plausible in light of the fact his company seems to be shrinking away.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...s.asp?TID=5715

"Posted: 20 Janwary 2010 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by W3FJW Ron

i do think GWS has fallen behind

A bit of GWS history might be in order here.

About two years ago, Mrs GWS ran away with most of Mr GWS resources (all of his money I think), and Mr GWS has been trying to recover and keep the company going. There was a period of time where GWS products were pretty much unobtainable, but it appears he has made much progress over the past two years, but I think he's not up to his full product capacity yet, but he's getting there. So don't give up on GWS.

And yes Ron , its not only California that has good divorce lawyers !!!Ouch

GWS went through some very hard times , Lin is a nice guy, hopefully this time he wont be finishing last."
Arkansas Travelr is offline Find More Posts by Arkansas Travelr
Last edited by Arkansas Travelr; Aug 06, 2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: added Mr. Lin rumor
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:21 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
I've been more critical than most of GWS but I've always carefully avoided bringing in gossip, unsubstantiated or otherwise, about what was going on in the background which is none of our business even if the consequences do affect our enjoyment of the product.

Personally I don't think its at all appropriate to bring up such matters because none of us know the full story, and I doubt W3FJW Ron did either.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to have realised that for several years now cash flow has been an issue but those of us who may have known a bit more than most kept their mouths shut on the personal issues because that's what they are, and if that alone had been the cause of GWS decline there wouldn't have been much to say.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:53 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2005 View Post
rcav8r2; BP Hobbies has a Formosa II in stock, no power system. Wait until next
week to order. bphobbies.com is going to have a summer sale and i beleive it will
include all GWS products. Bob
THANKS... Will have to check them out... unfortunately I'll be out of town next week... But it looks like Headsup has them too..
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:31 PM
God of Gravity Poisoning
Joined Nov 2010
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
I've been more critical than most of GWS but I've always carefully avoided bringing in gossip, unsubstantiated or otherwise, about what was going on in the background which is none of our business even if the consequences do affect our enjoyment of the product.

Personally I don't think its at all appropriate to bring up such matters because none of us know the full story, and I doubt W3FJW Ron did either.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to have realised that for several years now cash flow has been an issue but those of us who may have known a bit more than most kept their mouths shut on the personal issues because that's what they are, and if that alone had been the cause of GWS decline there wouldn't have been much to say.
Sorry I didn't know this thread was for the keepers of the sacred "truth" I thought it was a question about GWS going out of business. Originally I came in here to point out the Formosa II was still available (BTW, I'd buy 2 they might become rare). But, I'm happy to speculate regardless if you are.

I made it very clear that this was a rumor and nothing more I think you'd have a case if I presented it as fact. As far as I'm concerned If you don't want people speculating on your "private" life then you'd do well not to keep your customers in the dark about your public business. If they are going out of business or just restructuring then say so don't keep lying about your distributors inability to fill a cargo container.

I've heard this same story from my local hobby shop owner months ago. He's pretty angry at GWS because he was a big supporter but now he has a bunch of disgruntled customers who can't get spare parts for the affordable planes he swore were the greatest thing since sliced bread. GWS's lackadaisical attitude has ruined his reputation with brick and mortar customer who are very hard to come by, in some cases he has bought back damaged GWS merchandise to keep his customers happy. At this point Ed (the owner) has totally sworn off GWS he said he doesn't care if it is free he'll never carry GWS products again because of the damage they've done to his business. So as you can see the problems at GWS affect a lot more than the simple individual enjoyment of the product. I think that was the point the OP was trying to convey.

BTW, Thanks for pretty much confirming my speculation you old insider you
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:47 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
It is interesting how one rumor leads to another and then another. I would not be surprised if someone claimed that a Bigfoot went on a rampage and destroyed the GWS factory.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:52 PM
God of Gravity Poisoning
Joined Nov 2010
336 Posts
"I would not be surprised if someone claimed that a Bigfoot went on a rampage and destroyed the GWS factory."

Yeah, I heard that too but I discounted it because it didn't seem as plausible neither did the UFO abduction rumors. If anybody has the money and wants to know the straight dope on financial health of GWS they can order a detailed shipping history and credit report from PANJIVA. An interesting tidbit can be found in the free sample report, according to both reports (see below) there was a shipment in Aug 2012 from Yantian, China to Port of Long Beach, Long Beach, California so fans of their products might be in luck in the coming months. I liked GWS and I used their product but the kit and part drought pushed me and my friends into the scratch built arena and I doubt I'll be coming back. A 3/8" square dowel and a couple of sheets of readiboard make a pretty nice slow stick

http://panjiva.com/Grand-Wing-Servo-...1108761#report

If you want the skinny on GWS/US you can pay for that info at this link

http://panjiva.com/Grand-Wing-System...ent-field-list
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:35 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Travelr View Post
"I would not be surprised if someone claimed that a Bigfoot went on a rampage and destroyed the GWS factory."

Yeah, I heard that too but I discounted it because it didn't seem as plausible neither did the UFO abduction rumors. If anybody has the money and wants to know the straight dope on financial health of GWS they can order a detailed shipping history and credit report from PANJIVA. An interesting tidbit can be found in the free sample report, according to both reports (see below) there was a shipment in Aug 2012 from Yantian, China to Port of Long Beach, Long Beach, California so fans of their products might be in luck in the coming months. I liked GWS and I used their product but the kit and part drought pushed me and my friends into the scratch built arena and I doubt I'll be coming back. A 3/8" square dowel and a couple of sheets of readiboard make a pretty nice slow stick

http://panjiva.com/Grand-Wing-Servo-...1108761#report

If you want the skinny on GWS/US you can pay for that info at this link

http://panjiva.com/Grand-Wing-System...ent-field-list
Yes the SS is such a simple airplane that one could use depron dinner plates as wings.

HADDADS PAPER PLATES & CUPS PLANE (2 min 33 sec)
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:43 AM
God of Gravity Poisoning
Joined Nov 2010
336 Posts
Ha! That's great!

Mr Lin better watch out that guy's kit is available at just about any store that sells party supplies.