HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:29 AM
Joined Dec 2011
138 Posts
Discussion
HK Bixler RTF vs ReadyMadeRC SkySurfer RTF

Hi all,

I'm new to RC:ing, been doing some primitive video recording using toy coax helis, and i want to get my first RC plane that can grow with me. My end goal, if i ever get there, is 2000ft+ FPV:ing and aerial photography. I have pretty much decided on the SkySurfer/Bixler plane, and being new I was thinking RTF is the way to go.

HobbyKing sells a mode-2 bixler rtf for $107:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ft_Radio_.html

RMRC sells this this SkySurfer v1 for $107

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=505

I had pretty much decided on the Bixler, but due to shipping the SkySurfer ends up much cheaper to my door. I understand that the bodies are virtually identical, they both use brushless motors, both use 2.4Ghz rx/tx although the Bixler comes with a 6chan hand unit. So, are there any real reasons for paying the extra shipping for the Bixler? E.g. motor known to be stronger, rx/tx known to have higher output/ longer rance etc?

A third option would be to get the Bixler ARF + individual rx/tx, esc, battery, charger etc since, unlike the Bixler RTF, HK sources these in the USA. This would also allow me to go with a 2200 battery, a true 6chan system (figure it may come in handy down the road), but I am worried about ordering parts that dont play nicely together, also, some was out of stock and while i would be willing to wait the month that HK indicated, i wouldnt want to wait much longer.

So - does anyone have experience with components shipped in either of these RTF-kits. I guess I'm interested in any kind of feedback

Thanks
fpvwannabe is offline Find More Posts by fpvwannabe
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:54 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
I cant comment on the skysurfer as i've had no experience with it but i have a bixler and looked into the option of the RTF kit.

Firstly, I would be wary of relying on HK's quoted restocking times. I waited 2 months for the Bixler on backorder in our local warehouse and eventually cancelled and ordered direct from the Main warehouse. I have had it now for about 2 weeks and there is still no sign of stock arriving in the local warehouse. (over 3 months)

If you plan on doing FPV eventually, i think you'd probably be better off buying the ARF version of the bixler and then getting a quality brand 6 ch radio. I would not rely on the HK radio for any long range stuff and the extra 2 channels will allow you the option of pan / tilt on your camera which is a cool function. Or spoilerons / flaperons which is handy with FPV.

The charger supplied with the RTF version is crap (if your lucky enough to get one that works). You'd be better off spending $20 on a B6 (or copy) from HK.

The Bixlers are known to fly alot better with a 2200 3S, while the 1300 3S would eventually be good for your onboard FPV camera, transmitter power supply, they dont balance so well with the supplied 1300 as a flight battery , so you'd be up for a new battery straight up.

If the skysurfer comes with a decent radio and charger, it might be a better option in the RTF version.

My 2c, good luck with the purchase which ever way you go.
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
138 Posts
thx for the input nogas! based on your advice i took the readymaderc route, and i am glad i did. shipping was reasonable & fast, and all the components of this rtf plane seem to be *identical* to the hk bixler rtf, except for the stickers. an odd thing was that the motor was wired for a pusher prop but the kit contained a regular prop, so had to fix that. also the servo reverse switches on the tx were mislabeled, which almost caused me to soil my undies as i flipped elev reverse and suddenly the motor went on full bore

anyway, with these little kinks worked out i took her for her (and my) maiden flight the other day and while it certainly isn't as easy as it it looks, we didn't have any real crashes and she is still as pretty as ever

however, one of the landings ended up going a bit wrong and the wing tip contacted first, rather than the bottom of the fuselage. i guess the rare earth magnets holding the wings in place wasn't strong enough for this because it caused the wings partly came undone. is it acceptable for wings to come lose during a crappy landing or should i use some stronger method for wing retainment?
fpvwannabe is offline Find More Posts by fpvwannabe
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:17 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Nice, congrats on the maiden. These things are a very easy and forgiving platform to learn with.

Rare earth magnets on there own aren't really enough. I use magnets, Dual lock velcro on the end of the wings (where the 2 halves meet) and guy1a's method (will try to find a link to a photo) to keep the wings together and even then they still pop apart now and again. I've never had them come fully out but they do come loose when you clip a wing hard.

There is stronger methods but i think that in the event of a crash you are likely to do more damage due to the wings having no give.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:24 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
647 Posts
The AXN Floater from Hobbyking is the same as the Skysurfer. The Bixler is a different, though similar, plane.
BrettAltea is online now Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:39 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
The AXN Floater from Hobbyking is the same as the Skysurfer. The Bixler is a different, though similar, plane.
????

The AXN Clouds Fly (Floater jet) is quite different to the Skysurfer.

The Bixler, Skysurfer and the Easystar are almost identical airframes (just the EZ* doesn't have ailerons)
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:49 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
647 Posts
My bad. Sorry I was thinking of Clouds instead b
BrettAltea is online now Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:23 AM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Has anyone ever laid some thin glass on any of the birds listed? Thin fiberglass cloth an Polycrilyc for example?
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Last edited by Lafayette; Jan 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:45 PM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Get the SS version 1 from readymaderc, more room in the fuse. Same plane, but it is not all about shipping , but customer service, and at readymaderc you will get superior service.
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette