HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:01 PM
The "Foaminator"
mikeruth's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,100 Posts
That connector dosen't look to large, but if you want the smallest connector you could use a 4 pin Deans or the like as well.

+ and - can be run out to both servo's in parallel and then the signal for ail and flap to the remaining two pins.
mikeruth is online now Find More Posts by mikeruth
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:21 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
That connector dosen't look to large, but if you want the smallest connector you could use a 4 pin Deans or the like as well.

+ and - can be run out to both servo's in parallel and then the signal for ail and flap to the remaining two pins.
Yes I mentioned 4 pins would do it in the video. But soldering is a little easier not having to join the positive and negative leads together and then to a single pin. I am not an expert at soldering, so anything I can do to make it easier I will usually do. One pin for each lead. Simple. No thinking required, lol.

I will probably make a little cover for this, just have to come up with something that can be put on and taken off repeatedly. So tape is out. Maybe small magnets.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:23 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
JumpySticks's Avatar
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
Disregard these wasted pixels. Sorry, I know there is a shortage.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Apr 13, 2011 at 11:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:40 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
ODUsurfer's Avatar
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Great idea Targetlocman. I don't have to take mine apart to get my RP to the field like a lotta guys do, but if I did, I'd definitely do something like this. Those things are a PAIN!!!
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:40 AM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
RCRod's Avatar
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targetlocman View Post
Here's a video I made of how to make installing or removing your radian pro's wings at the field easier using multiplex connectors.
Cool, I made a nearly identical mod to my Radian Pro a few weeks ago. The difference is that I put the connector in at the wing root, and glued the wing side of the connector in place. I use a ring spreading tool to separate the connector halves. I noodled over it for days before deciding on that set-up.

Been too busy working or flying since then to post the images with a write-up. Hopefully I'll get some time soon.

I like how you used the slot to tuck in the other end of the wires.
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:50 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRod View Post
Cool, I made a nearly identical mod to my Radian Pro a few weeks ago. The difference is that I put the connector in at the wing root, and glued the wing side of the connector in place. I use a ring spreading tool to separate the connector halves. I noodled over it for days before deciding on that set-up.

Been too busy working or flying since then to post the images with a write-up. Hopefully I'll get some time soon.

I like how you used the slot to tuck in the other end of the wires.
Yeah at first I wanted to make it so when you plugged in the wing, the connection was made automatically, but in a foam construction I don't think this would hold up well over time. So I decided that since that was out of the picture, that I would take a very simple approach and just minimize the connection process as best I could.

Please post pics of your approach when you can.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:51 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODUsurfer View Post
Great idea Targetlocman. I don't have to take mine apart to get my RP to the field like a lotta guys do, but if I did, I'd definitely do something like this. Those things are a PAIN!!!
Thanks odusurfer, no doubt the parkzone approach is pretty bad. If you need to remove the wings to travel or store the plane, you have to change the stock method. It's horrible. Only thing I didn't like about this plane.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:53 AM
Work....fly, repeat...
AeroRecon's Avatar
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP123 View Post
This is probably a dumb question, since you seem to be well-experienced, but are your controls all freely moving? Many people have found the elevator and/or rudder pushrod to be quite stiff, and that could account for your reports of your elevator seeming to be out of trim. Just a thought.
Yes...all move freely. I toke it apart and lubed up the pushrods and flexed all the surfaces.
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:00 AM
Work....fly, repeat...
AeroRecon's Avatar
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,604 Posts
Took her out this morning. Dead calm. Perfect day.
I dropped a 2200 Rhino right in the middle of the bay and strapped it down. Flew much better today.
Did a dive test and it pulled up a little too much. Will need to move the battery back and try again, but it is better. Was much more stable in the air. I can't move the 1250 any farther forward to get it to the same point so may just go up to a 1500 or so and try that.

Dropping the flaps and flying across the field slowly towards a catch, it did seem to be much more stable at lower speeds, too. Cut the power a few feet out, pulled the nose up and grabbed the wing. Perfect.

One decently balanced flight and I am feeling the love now. Thanks for the help and suggestions guys.
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:02 AM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
RCRod's Avatar
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
My version of the Multiplex Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targetlocman View Post
Yeah at first I wanted to make it so when you plugged in the wing, the connection was made automatically, but in a foam construction I don't think this would hold up well over time. So I decided that since that was out of the picture, that I would take a very simple approach and just minimize the connection process as best I could.

Please post pics of your approach when you can.
I went through the same thought process... "How can I make this plug in automatically...?" In the end, I realized that the multiplex connector is far too tight. It'd eventually wear out the foam supporting it. Perhaps some day I'll add plywood reinforcement and give it a go, but this is working great already. ~3-4 minutes out of the trunk of the car, and I'm ready to fly.

I also added the Morgan Mill servo fairings during this session. I had tweaked my right aileron servo horn during my maiden, and wanted no more of that! The fairings are perfect. I recommend them to all RP pilots.
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
Last edited by RCRod; Apr 14, 2011 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:25 AM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
RCRod's Avatar
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
I just realized that it'd be helpful to have a better detail shot of that spreader tool... I'll snap a pic and upload it this evening if I have a chance.
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:09 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
JumpySticks's Avatar
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targetlocman View Post
Thanks odusurfer, no doubt the parkzone approach is pretty bad. If you need to remove the wings to travel or store the plane, you have to change the stock method. It's horrible. Only thing I didn't like about this plane.
One thing that troubles me about the built in connection mods is that they might work loose if the wings flex a lot in turbulence. Probably unlikely but I'm a worry wart when it comes to this plane. It's like one of the family...LOL.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:41 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
One thing that troubles me about the built in connection mods is that they might work loose if the wings flex a lot in turbulence. Probably unlikely but I'm a worry wart when it comes to this plane. It's like one of the family...LOL.
No chance of that with my approach, since the cable heading into the plane has slop in it and will pull out of the fuse (an inch or so) before the connector pulls apart.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:43 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRod View Post
I just realized that it'd be helpful to have a better detail shot of that spreader tool... I'll snap a pic and upload it this evening if I have a chance.
Very nice work rcrod!
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:47 PM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
RCRod's Avatar
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
One thing that troubles me about the built in connection mods is that they might work loose if the wings flex a lot in turbulence. Probably unlikely but I'm a worry wart when it comes to this plane. It's like one of the family...LOL.
That's not really an issue if you leave one side of the connector loose. Those green multiplex connectors are crazy tight. They're not working loose with anything less than a complete wing disconnection.

If you have reasonably decent soldering skills, I really do recommend it. It greatly speeds the wing connection process, and as a bonus, you save wear and tear on your Rx servo connector headers.

I haven't had to open the belly hatch at all since the mod. Just a pair of needle nose pliers to squeeze the connector together during setup, and the ring spreader tool to pop them apart during breakdown. Quick and slick.
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rave New Parkzone Radian Pro-discussion thread!!! lightspeeddud Electric Sailplanes 3675 Feb 19, 2014 02:58 AM
Discussion Official Radian Pro Thread Magnumb Parkflyers 14 Apr 10, 2011 10:56 PM
Gallery Parkzone Radian Pro Video bakon Electric Sailplanes 6 Mar 11, 2011 05:21 PM
New Product Parkzone Radian Pro bakon Electric Plane Talk 24 Oct 01, 2010 01:39 AM
Discussion Parkzone Radian Pro $229.99 BnF preorder Tekwip Hot Online Deals 10 Sep 29, 2010 04:35 PM