Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 08, 2011, 04:34 PM
Row 0, Seat A
G550Ted's Avatar
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
This may be a little off topic but since we fly gliders here, I figured it was worth mentioning.
I use a Futaba 9C for my planes and FPV truck and the stock battery has always not held up very well. I'll do a lost of ground testing to make sure everything is working properly and then once I get to the field, I have to cut things short because the battery is always going flat on me in the transmitter.
I know lots of people have used 3S LiPo batteries in their transmitters with a couple of diodes to drop the voltage to make sure it doesn't damage the transmitter but I found that using a LiFe battery takes care of the problem because of the slightly lower nominal voltage.
I used to use an All-e-RC LiFe battery but I found 2DogRC's 2500mAh battery to be a better fit for my transmitter. It was 400mAh larger in capacity and the version I got has the plug for Futaba and JR so if I decide to ever get another Spektrum radio for small BNF stuff, I can use the battery in either. The All-e-RC one was a pain as the proper connectors weren't on it at the time I bought it so it required a little bit of modification to work.
I only have to charge my transmitter battery once a month or so with this upgrade so it has definitely been worth it for me. It holds a nice, steady voltage at 9.9V so it's right where it needs to be on my 9C.
Sorry again for the OT post but I just thought I would pass the information along to anyone that may use a Futaba or JR/Spektrum radio as I hardly have to charge my transmitter now! Definitely worth the LiFe battery.
Yes, I'm bored. My plane is ready for it's maiden now that I have swapped out the stock RTF servos for HXT900's and it's been raining for three days now. I guess I can't complain with the 60 degree temperatures though!
I'll second the recommendation for a LiFePO4 tx battery.

I've used a 3S LiPo in my Futaba 8U for a couple of years (without any diodes or resistors) and have had no issues. However, when HK came out with an appropriate sized LiFe pack this spring I sprung for one for the same reasons you stated. Been flying it for a couple of months now without having to recharge it and the voltage indicated on the tx has dropped from 10.1 to 9.4. The 9.0v low battery alarm of the tx will be just right for LiFe battery charge time as well.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14076

I did have to replace the connector to fit my radio, but that is an easy task especially if you have a crimping tool and servo pins and housing. I also had to remove the bottom-side foam cushion in the battery compartment as it's a snug fit. Me happy.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:11 PM
Gravity impaired
jrjr's Avatar
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Been flying it for a couple of months now without having to recharge it and the voltage indicated on the tx has dropped from 10.1 to 9.4. The 9.0v low battery alarm of the tx will be just right for LiFe battery charge time as well.


Ted
What voltage does the pack peak at?
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:13 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoshiloh View Post
Yes, I tried that after heating the adapter etc.
In that case I would try to modify a prop to fit the stock adapter or upgrade the motor.

Jim
flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:52 PM
Registered User
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Rolling circles with the Sky Surfer?

I got my SS out today and after quite some time searching for lift and finding some, but not anything impressive, I got a little bored and started doing multiple rolls with the plane. Getting my up and down elevator pulses a bit out of sync with the rolls I suddenly found myself doing quite a nice rolling circle. It must have looked pretty impressive because someone came over real quick and wanted to watch what I was doing with the sticks. So I tried it again and to my amazement it worked, and even prettier this time. No I don't have any video and I know, since I don't, it didn't happen. But for something that didn't happen it was pretty surprising and made me grin real wide. I'll try for some video next time.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:08 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
I got my SS out today and after quite some time searching for lift and finding some, but not anything impressive, I got a little bored and started doing multiple rolls with the plane. Getting my up and down elevator pulses a bit out of sync with the rolls I suddenly found myself doing quite a nice rolling circle. It must have looked pretty impressive because someone came over real quick and wanted to watch what I was doing with the sticks. So I tried it again and to my amazement it worked, and even prettier this time. No I don't have any video and I know, since I don't, it didn't happen. But for something that didn't happen it was pretty surprising and made me grin real wide. I'll try for some video next time.

Gord

I just happen to have a spare camera that I just happened to find. I could let you have for a good price.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:16 PM
Row 0, Seat A
G550Ted's Avatar
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
What voltage does the pack peak at?
I don't remember, sorry. It's been a couple of months since I charged it but per specs a peaked cell should come in at 3.7v for a total of 11.1 for a 3S pack. I'll report back when I next charge.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:37 PM
Registered User
USA, NY, Endicott
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandevil View Post
I'm readying myself for ordering parts for building my new Bixler. Unfortunately, I'm still unsure about what motor to use. The original is 2620 at 1950 kV. Since I will be ordering other stuff from Hobby King, I'd rather like to order the motor from there as well. The closest thing I found there is Turning 2826 2200 KV, but that has Imax at 34 Amps, so I would need 40 A ESC. And the power seems to be overkill for this plane, even when it carries GoPro camera. The other suggested option is AXN FloaterJet replacement motor, which seems about right (and has long wire leads, which is a plus).

Is there any other option, preferably orderable from Hobby King?
Mandevil, here are the motors that have been suggested throughout the posts on this forum. I believe they are all good motors, each having their own advantages & disadvantages. The one you pick most likely will depend on how you plan to use your SS. ie to fly slower, aggressive (more payload), fast .... up to insane... I am sure others will select their favorite from these.


1. Turnigy 2627 Brushless Outrunner Motor 4200kv at $9.99
a. http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...4-AC3F408A05DD
2. Turnigy 2627 Brushless Outrunner 3800kv at $9.97
a. http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...1-64C52610A8AB
3. MicroDan 2505-2535Kv Outrunner with a 6x4 prop and use your 40A ESC.
a. Http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...ref=MDANmotors
4. This one. This is the only inrunner motor upgrade I would do. It is virtually the same as the Turnigy B2835-16 2200 we were referring to from Hobby King.
a. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...s-Motor/Detail
5. Hobby King has been out of the 2835-2200's , 6X4E Prop & HK 25-30A ESC
a. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5203 OR
b. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...s-Motor/Detail & ESC
c. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6458
6. Turnigty 2835 2700 kv on 3 cell and 6x4 and 6x3 prop. Flew like a rocket but got way too hot.
a. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4201
7. 2835-3900KV brushless inrunner motor.
a. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4200
8. E-Flite 6 series 2000kv inrunner ($59.99), 3 cell and 6x4 prop. Love this motor.
a. http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM2000

Hope this helps...
Ron
Papo_60 is offline Find More Posts by Papo_60
Last edited by Papo_60; Sep 08, 2011 at 09:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:12 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papo_60 View Post
Mandevil, here are the motors that have been suggested throughout the posts on this forum. I believe they are all good motors, each having their own advantages & disadvantages. The one you pick most likely will depend on how you plan to use your SS. ie to fly slower, aggressive (more payload), fast .... up to insane... I am sure others will select their favorite from these.


1. Turnigy 2627 Brushless Outrunner Motor 4200kv at $9.99
a. http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...4-AC3F408A05DD
2. Turnigy 2627 Brushless Outrunner 3800kv at $9.97
a. http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...1-64C52610A8AB
3. MicroDan 2505-2535Kv Outrunner with a 6x4 prop and use your 40A ESC.
a. Http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...ref=MDANmotors
4. This one. This is the only inrunner motor upgrade I would do. It is virtually the same as the Turnigy B2835-16 2200 we were referring to from Hobby King.
a. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...s-Motor/Detail
5. Hobby King has been out of the 2835-2200's , 6X4E Prop & HK 25-30A ESC
a. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5203 OR
b. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...s-Motor/Detail & ESC
c. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6458
6. Turnigty 2835 2700 kv on 3 cell and 6x4 and 6x3 prop. Flew like a rocket but got way too hot.
a. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4201
7. 2835-3900KV brushless inrunner motor.
a. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4200
8. E-Flite 6 series 2000kv inrunner ($59.99), 3 cell and 6x4 prop. Love this motor.
a. http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM2000
9. Once you get around the block a few times then you may want to upgrade to a 350-500 watt motor to tear the sky up with.

Hope this helps...
Ron
Ron,

Nice list. Thanks. Are these different than the list on the first few posts on page 1?

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2011, 02:27 AM
Registered User
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Bixlers in the US Warehouse!

Just got an email from HobbyKong that they have received Bixlers in the US warehouse! They even show more than 10 in stock. This is the ARF, at 58.67 if you're not signed in, or 55.51 as a Platinum member.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:40 AM
Registered User
mandevil's Avatar
Joined Jun 2011
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papo_60 View Post
Mandevil, here are the motors that have been suggested throughout the posts on this forum. I believe they are all good motors, each having their own advantages & disadvantages. The one you pick most likely will depend on how you plan to use your SS. ie to fly slower, aggressive (more payload), fast .... up to insane... I am sure others will select their favorite from these.


1. Turnigy 2627 Brushless Outrunner Motor 4200kv at $9.99
a. http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...4-AC3F408A05DD
2. Turnigy 2627 Brushless Outrunner 3800kv at $9.97
a. http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...1-64C52610A8AB
3. MicroDan 2505-2535Kv Outrunner with a 6x4 prop and use your 40A ESC.
a. Http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...ref=MDANmotors
4. This one. This is the only inrunner motor upgrade I would do. It is virtually the same as the Turnigy B2835-16 2200 we were referring to from Hobby King.
a. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...s-Motor/Detail
5. Hobby King has been out of the 2835-2200's , 6X4E Prop & HK 25-30A ESC
a. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5203 OR
b. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...s-Motor/Detail & ESC
c. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6458
6. Turnigty 2835 2700 kv on 3 cell and 6x4 and 6x3 prop. Flew like a rocket but got way too hot.
a. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4201
7. 2835-3900KV brushless inrunner motor.
a. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4200
8. E-Flite 6 series 2000kv inrunner ($59.99), 3 cell and 6x4 prop. Love this motor.
a. http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM2000

Hope this helps...
Ron
Thanks for suggestions, that's quite information overload for me. BTW, what are the considerations as RPM per volt (KV) rating is concerned? Isn't going over 3000 KV at 3S getting at too high RPM?

At any rate, my Bixler will carry GoPro HD cam (and maybe FPV kit later) for aerial photography so I prefer reliability. Crash would be costly for me.
mandevil is offline Find More Posts by mandevil
Last edited by mandevil; Sep 09, 2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Additional info
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:37 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
StarHopper44's Avatar
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
This is OT so will keep it brief. I'm needing some advice - if anyone has experience with or knows much about the HZ #HB27300 Super Cub LP, please PM me!
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/H...?media=reviews
Thanx!
~S*H
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2011, 03:55 PM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
This is OT so will keep it brief. I'm needing some advice - if anyone has experience with or knows much about the HZ #HB27300 Super Cub LP, please PM me!
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/H...?media=reviews
Thanx!
~S*H
Here is the thread that will give you all the help you need:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r+cub&page=367

Don't worry about it being OT. AFAIC, asking for direction or help to get to a thread or hobby store is always On Topic. After all, we are all here to help. I guess it would be a problem if it went on for pages and pages about a plane that has nothing to do with the SkyS. For the technical folks-if you split hairs, the Bixler is a different plane. Nonsense, as we all know, it is exactly the same plane that is simply repackaged by HK. My point is that sometimes, it is difficult to say exactly what is on topic and off topic. My thoughts - When in doubt post your question. We are all friends here and the basic responsibility of everyone here is to help each other. That is my .02 worth from just one lowly poster.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2011, 03:57 PM
Helis & Floatplanes
Tahuyeh's Avatar
United States, WA, Bremerton
Joined May 2009
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44
if anyone has experience with or knows much about the HZ #HB27300 Super Cub LP, please PM me!
Here's where to go for all the info you could ever want.
Cheers,
Ray
Tahuyeh is offline Find More Posts by Tahuyeh
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2011, 04:24 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
major.monogram's Avatar
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Now supplement that mega-load of info with this little forum dedicated to the SC LP: http://supercubclub.proboards.com/index.cgi

That was my first plane. I crashed it once, rebuilt it, burned it badly by accident with a soldering iron, covered it in monokote, painted it, dipped the wing tips in lightweight plastic coating and slammed it really hard into the desert floor about 20 seconds after takeoff to end its sad little existence. I loved that plane though. It trained me just enough to buy and successfully fly a PZ Mustang BL about 50-60 times before selling it (still one of my favorite planes).
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2011, 05:51 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
StarHopper44's Avatar
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Thanx guys....and the load of PM'rs too. Got a chance to buy one flown 4 times & retired (owner's into cars) for a great price, & from readings so far & fact it's a sheer trainer & with that ACT system, pretty sure I'm gonna get it. So, here we go again, & #3 in my hangar. Somebody, p-l-e-a-s-e STOP ME! Send Help!! He's walking amuck!!!


[Edit to add, & close]:
Wow! LOADS of PMs have come in, so obviously it's a well known & purt' much highly recommended trainer. Let me say one thing for clarification -- I'm looking to this for one primary purpose - learning the sticks. This, as a better (perhaps best) alternative to a computer trainer, as I heard back from the creator of BMI and RCDesk Pilot & he said:
"I'm afraid there is no simple/cheap solution. The notification you're getting is a warning that the graphics card doesn't support the required shader version 2. There is not much I can do about that since the technology I'm using requires that. ...hope this clears up things and I'm sorry there is no simple solution.
Cheers from Belgium,
Davy"


So....it's a done deal at this point & if it proves 'boring' or 'non-challenging' as some have advised, I can always re-sell it or make it an upgrade project. Thanks again, (w/nod to AJ) and please, no more posts here or PM's - asked & answered....case closed.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Sep 09, 2011 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 May 28, 2013 02:14 AM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 02:36 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 56 Nov 02, 2010 02:49 AM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 01:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 05:28 PM