HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:19 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,678 Posts
The AR500 was the BNF receiver sold with the DX5e TX. Almost by definition, most were bought by beginners. Similar thing with the DX6i; that was many folks' first 2.4g or first computer radio.

Many of the reported Spektrum "problems" were errors that beginners make and blame on the radio. Either pilot errors, inadequate power supply to the receivers, or burying the receiver's antenna someplace where it can't help but be blocked.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:21 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,619 Posts
Even though I don't have all the decals on it yet, there was no wind this morning and I couldn't resist putting the R4D turned C-47 in the air for it's maiden. It took a bit of trim to get it flying straight, but once it was trimmed it flew well.
Checked the motors on the gound with a tach and they are very close in RPM, but the left wing seems to have more washout that the left. It looks to have a bit of a warp.
But, it flew okay, so I may order an extra set of wings for later and just fly it as is for now.

Jim
WVrailfan is online now Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,672 Posts
Looks great. Congrats.
Can't wait to maiden mine.
Doushiyou12 is online now Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
687 Posts
Jim,

Nice to get them into the air! Mine had its maiden last weekend - I chickened out and got the Club Hotshot 'Troy' to maiden mine. Here's a quick video of the takeoff. I didn't video the landing but Troy greased it in and, due to a nice headwind (which you can hear), he didn't have to use the Flaps I added. Not the best video - used my Android Phone.

I did fly it twice yesterday - very sweet.

Dynam HK C-47 Maiden (0 min 35 sec)
DeathWarmedUp is offline Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathWarmedUp View Post
Jim,

Nice to get them into the air! Mine had its maiden last weekend - I chickened out and got the Club Hotshot 'Troy' to maiden mine. Here's a quick video of the takeoff. I didn't video the landing but Troy greased it in and, due to a nice headwind (which you can hear), he didn't have to use the Flaps I added. Not the best video - used my Android Phone.

I did fly it twice yesterday - very sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezbAHI2XP6Q
Neat vid! They do look good in the air don't they!

Jim
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:56 AM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Great job guys! I never tire of seeing pics of this plane in the air.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:53 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,299 Posts
Me too.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,619 Posts
Thanks guys. Got the rest of the decals on it today. I looks a lot like the "one off" prototype I used as a starting place, and it has the advantage of being really easy to see in the air.

Jim
Last edited by WVrailfan; Aug 20, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:06 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,299 Posts
Like it.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:44 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Howdja do it?

So WVrailfan, two things... How did you get that nice horizontal black cheat line that runs below the windows? It is thin tape? And how did you manage that perfect curve in the orange paint on the fuse just ahead of the tail? I masked the D-day stripes on my C-47 with blue painter's masking tape with mixed results when I tried to peel it off, so I was just wondering. (We talked in here at one point about using "sticky notes" to mask the foam, but I haven't tried that yet).

By the way, she looks perfect! And these eyes would sure appreciate the high-visibility factor...
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHead View Post
So WVrailfan, two things... How did you get that nice horizontal black cheat line that runs below the windows? It is thin tape? And how did you manage that perfect curve in the orange paint on the fuse just ahead of the tail? I masked the D-day stripes on my C-47 with blue painter's masking tape with mixed results when I tried to peel it off, so I was just wondering. (We talked in here at one point about using "sticky notes" to mask the foam, but I haven't tried that yet).

By the way, she looks perfect! And these eyes would sure appreciate the high-visibility factor...
Thanks for the kind words. And yes, my old eyes like colorful planes also.

The black line is Great Planes trim tape.

I use green Frog tape for pretty much all of my model masking, be it planes or model trains. I didn't have any problem with lifting the paint. If in doubt, stick the tape to your shirt before using it. That takes a lot of sticky off the tape!

My curve didn't come out perfect, but I just put a few strips of tape in a V shape and used a red Solo cup as a guide to draw the curve then trimmed the point of the V round with an Xacto knife.

Though this is lettered ARMY, the prototype was a retired Navy R4D the Army rebuilt. They simply repainted it in the Navy scheme and changed NAVY to ARMY. If you want a simpler colorful scheme, the Navy had some other R4Ds in high visibility paint jobs.

This is what I was working on when I found the photo of the Army version. It is the first plane to land at the South Pole. It would need the pointed nose to make it look right. The skis I guess you can take or leave. The plane is restored and on display at the National Naval Aviation Museum.

Since I'm an old Army guy, I went with the Army version.

Jim
Last edited by WVrailfan; Aug 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:12 PM
Cold Lake, Alberta
Joined May 2010
127 Posts
Was going to maiden today, however, she has a good pull to the left. I have read about the ESC's being out of sync, but one motor seems to be built tighter, I am guessing you cannot feel ESC timing in an unpowered motor. On the stand, I ran it up a few times and it seems like it it getting looser, but it could just be me. Any thoughts?
lebl468 is offline Find More Posts by lebl468
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:56 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,299 Posts
Add oil. I'm not kidding. You might have to take the motor off to put a drop on the back bearing, but it works wonders. I learned that from the RC car guys. Most people don't oil their motors at all and I am never shock to see one eventually overheat or be a little low on power.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:16 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
quitcherbitchen

Thats fine if you have an open bearning - in most brushless motors
they use 2 sealed bearings , older cars motors used oil on the bearnings

applying oil (lub ) to a motor with sealed bearnings will not help
pulsery2k1 is offline Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Aug 21, 2012, 05:25 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,299 Posts
I use what the RC car racers use. It looks like a fountain pen with oil in it. My Durafly motor out of the box was feeling stiff and sounded rough. I lubed it and got about 500 rpm more out of it. Didn't feel as tight either. I know what you are saying about sealed bearings, but this stuff went somewhere and helped. How tight can the seal be without causing too much friction.