HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:08 PM
Killeen TX
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
Cool
Why Doesnt 3DHS and EF do this?

just came across this.
Maxford Globe/TEMCO Swift ARF video review (4 min 27 sec)

i love the adjustable sliding motor box! and the magnetic cowl.
would add a hair of weight but not much. pretty cool ideas i hadnt seen before. at least not me personally.
STANG KILLA SS is offline Find More Posts by STANG KILLA SS
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:18 PM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,335 Posts
I can tell you why we don't. The first blender or KE spin would rip that motor box and cowl right off the front of the plane. That is a scale model intended for much more docile flying than the torture that the EXPs are built to withstand.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:20 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
The first blender or KE spin would rip that motor box and cowl right off the front of the plane. .
That's what i was thinking
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:22 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,314 Posts
Ooops. Chris already covered it.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,648 Posts
the motor mount and cowling isn't that big of a deal if you use the recommended or equivalent equipment.

What would be cool though, would be magnets for the SFGs that could hold up to the flight abuse, but still be easily removable for transport.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:25 PM
Custom Crasher
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
770 Posts
I like the way one of the vendors was on this!!!!! Wow speaks volumes to me!
lowkeylaidback is offline Find More Posts by lowkeylaidback
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:58 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,259 Posts
it's also going out of one's way to weaken the structure to counter for corner cases... with a properly developed product, it will already accept a wide range of motors with little fuss, those people who would actually need this feature would be very few. Need to keep the corner cases as the corner cases... make sure the core product stays as good as you can make it for the core customer.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:00 PM
Killeen TX
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
I can tell you why we don't. The first blender or KE spin would rip that motor box and cowl right off the front of the plane. That is a scale model intended for much more docile flying than the torture that the EXPs are built to withstand.
even when bolted and epoxied it? it appeared to have bolt holes.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:01 PM
Killeen TX
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
it's also going out of one's way to weaken the structure to counter for corner cases... with a properly developed product, it will already accept a wide range of motors with little fuss, those people who would actually need this feature would be very few. Need to keep the corner cases as the corner cases... make sure the core product stays as good as you can make it for the core customer.
i aggree. i rarely have to do much in the way of stand-offs. i guess i just thought it was cool. maybe not really needed for us, but cool. i had never seen that done before.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:02 PM
Killeen TX
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post

What would be cool though, would be magnets for the SFGs that could hold up to the flight abuse, but still be easily removable for transport.
that would be tits!
if they can hold on the upcoming bipes wings with magnets, i would think SFGs might be possible?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:28 PM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,296 Posts
I think it would be easier to hold a wing on with magnets than a sfg since there isn't much side force on a wing, just force from lift mostly. There must be a lot of force on a sfg especially when doing things like a ke wall. But I don't really know.
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
Last edited by TG43; Aug 30, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,259 Posts
TG's on the right track methinks... SFG's are subject to too much varying load for magnets; various pitch angles, top of SFG is getting very different turbulence than the bottom. Could try it, but I'd bet money that they'll depart the airplane. I don't mind the thumb screws or even regular bolts and washers.

...magnets holding wings in are different, not much in the way of sideways forces on wings, friction on the wing tube is helping keep the wing on, etc.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:07 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,522 Posts
magnets holding wings on when the wings have SFGs may produce similar concerns to holding SFGs on with magnets.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:13 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
magnets holding wings on when the wings have SFGs may produce similar concerns to holding SFGs on with magnets.
the forces are different, and have different moments...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:16 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
I wouldn't trust wings held on by magnets even without SFG's. They would come off in a KE spin IMO.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)