SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2011, 07:16 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfly! View Post
Question to those of you working on this model. I am about to start with the fuselage and see that everyone has the front wheel sticking out a few mm when retracted. Has anyone tried to change to smaller wheels or carve some foam away so that the retracts will sit a bit deeper inside the fuse?
I carved foam from the nose portion to fit the stock wheels and cut some foam off to place landing gear base 1.5cm deeper and about 1cm back. There is also an option to replace stock front wheels with 1.5" wheels, which I am also going to do.
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2011, 07:49 PM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,259 Posts
Sergey, did you increased the length of the retract to make up for placing it deeper inside the fuse?

I am about to start working on the fan units and was wondering if you already had a chance to check yours and how well balanced they are.
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2011, 08:21 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalmrast View Post
Rick had another flight today. There was a crazy cross wind at our field today...
Two interesting things about Rick's flight today:

He was having power issues at full throttle with one fan cutting out. But it only did it a WOT. Hence the scale like take off and flight.

And just as Rick was finishing up his flight, the B-17 "Sentimental Journey" flew right over the field!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old May 01, 2011, 09:13 PM
Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Two interesting things about Rick's flight today:

He was having power issues at full throttle with one fan cutting out. But it only did it a WOT. Hence the scale like take off and flight.

And just as Rick was finishing up his flight, the B-17 "Sentimental Journey" flew right over the field!

Pat
Set throttle limits (area) on ESCs using transmitter. Needs to be done when using twin setups and above.
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
Old May 01, 2011, 09:13 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jun 2009
270 Posts
737 Wing Bolts

Well my build is coming along ok until tonight I went to bolt on the wing. Guess what? The bolts don't fit the blind nuts. The bolts are too large to thread into the blind nuts that are now burried inside my fuse. Anyone else run into this?

Can someone please shoot me the proper bolt size?

Thanks!

Scott
scottd9990 is offline Find More Posts by scottd9990
Last edited by scottd9990; May 01, 2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: edit
Old May 01, 2011, 09:26 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jun 2009
270 Posts
737 Build EDF Test

I had the first full power test today with my new 737 -w- Delta V15's, 3600kv motors, and a 3c 5000 lipo. Recharge put 4500ma back into the pack. Ran mostly at FT but did cycle through a few 1/2T (simulated scale flight speed). All parts were warm, but not overly.

I did try a 4c pack just to see and wow there is tons of power. Not sure I need all that for this bird!! Depends on final weight! I don't have a way to measure Amps or Thrust, but I tell you it was a ton of wind!!!!

Here is my setup:
2x Delta V15 Fan Units
2x EFlight 3600KV Motor: EFLM3015DF
2x Detruid 70A speed controllers.
1x 3cell 5000ma Lipo

Man those Delta V's sound so good and no rubbing or excess vibes. So far they are the best edf's I have used.
scottd9990 is offline Find More Posts by scottd9990
Old May 01, 2011, 10:09 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfly! View Post
Sergey, did you increased the length of the retract to make up for placing it deeper inside the fuse?

I am about to start working on the fan units and was wondering if you already had a chance to check yours and how well balanced they are.
No I did not. However I reduced length of the rear gears by removing spacer. The plane sits a little lower and more scale I think.

I got my new rotors. They are from efflux rc. Very nicely done with aluminum spinners. If you have an iPhone or Android cell phone there is very easy way of dynamically balancing your fans -- http://www.edfbalancer.com
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Old May 01, 2011, 11:14 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexserve View Post
Set throttle limits (area) on ESCs using transmitter. Needs to be done when using twin setups and above.
Maiden flight last weekend went off just fine. Not sure what the issue was today.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old May 01, 2011, 11:22 PM
Stay Thirsty My Friends
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2005
2,357 Posts
My bolts also did not fit the provided blind nuts. I caught this before they were glued inside the fuselage. I was able to replace the blind nuts.

I am sure you can find a bolt at your local hardware store that will fit.

Rick
swarick is offline Find More Posts by swarick
Old May 01, 2011, 11:35 PM
Stay Thirsty My Friends
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2005
2,357 Posts
My motor issues were there before my maiden, however one motor and then the other would pulse at or near full throttle. I spoke to Castle Creations customer support and they advised me to make a few changes in the programming of my ICE 75 ESC's. Today prior to the second flight I once again tested the motors and now instead of pulsing the just shut down completely at or near full throttle.

Luckily my plane takes off fine at half throttle which is what I did this morning.

I am using inrunner motors using medium timing and 12 kHz on the PWM setting as per Castle's recommendation. I will have to hook up a watt meter, and download the data from the ESC's to see if I can see an obvious reason for my problem.

Rick
swarick is offline Find More Posts by swarick
Old May 02, 2011, 03:13 AM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sergey_ View Post
No I did not. However I reduced length of the rear gears by removing spacer. The plane sits a little lower and more scale I think.
You should consider to extend the nose gear slightly, it will give you a neutral angle of attack, or maybe a positive. Mine has slightly negative and I have to "pull" the plane off the ground.

I had two more flights this weekend. I have now moved CG 2cm behind the 50% of the wing cord mark. Even now it feels slightly nose heavy. Since my model is on the heavy side the wings flex a lot and that also reduces the efficiency of the ailerons, so I have to do some minor adjustments here as well.

The fist flight was done in some crazy wind, changing directions very rapidly creating a lot of turbulence so it was not that enjoyable. I have it on tape so you´ll get see how it was.

The landing was smooth, but again the landing gear was bent, and the gear was brand new too. I know others have the same gear ad it works, but for me I think the plane is too heavy for the 3mm pins.

During these two flights I also flew a lot slower, and I can maintain cruising speed at 50% throttle. But even then it´s quite fast.

There was taken a lot of pictures too, but I haven´t got them yet, so I´ll just post some of them here now.

On the airport we flew there was also a skydiving operation. They flew a Pilatus Porter, and it was just tooo cool to watch it dive form 15.000 feet straight down on base and just flare on final. During Saturday I managed to organize for us to fly with the Porter and he did the same manoeuvres with 8 model pilots in the cabin, diving towards the ground from 5000 feet. Awesome

Some more pictures from the weekend here!

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E
Old May 02, 2011, 02:09 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,855 Posts
wow !!!!! you lucky &*%$"!
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old May 02, 2011, 02:18 PM
Southern California
Joined Mar 2010
912 Posts
Ben I see you are still flying the super airliner. The KLM livery looks good on it . Did you use the DSR46 retract on it?
Rookie2008 is offline Find More Posts by Rookie2008
Old May 02, 2011, 03:15 PM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie2008 View Post
Ben I see you are still flying the super airliner. The KLM livery looks good on it . Did you use the DSR46 retract on it?
No! I tried them once in my FlyFly F-86 Sabre. One flight and right into the bin. I use the same as in the 737, only previous generation. Works fine, and I still love my KLM 777

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E
Old May 02, 2011, 06:37 PM
Southern California
Joined Mar 2010
912 Posts
Wow I bought the version2 DSR46 form Denny, at Sonic Electric for the A300. I am wondering how they will hold up on the A300
Rookie2008 is offline Find More Posts by Rookie2008