HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:09 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Oh guys dont forget to share your electrics here :-)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1687469
nakelp86 is online now Find More Posts by nakelp86
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:27 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Setting the CG to what the plane wants -. Not some book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogg1 View Post
I have a V1 that I put together using many build tips on this thread. I have used 60mm CG as stated in manual and this thread. Lately I'm seeing a lot of reference to a CG of 70 or more, which I think on a V1 is behind the spar. Is this correct. Is a no power glide test a good way to determine where the actual CG should be.
Dog

Absolutely, Yes.Your dive/glide test (power off the motor) should look like the picture below. Here is the method that I use to get it all sorted out:
1. Use up/down trim to get the desired dive/glide result.
2. Land and look at what amount of up or down trim that you moved.
3. If you had to use up trim, then your plane is slightly (or more) nose heavy. Add weight to the tail (or move stuff around to get more weight on the tail-preferred).
4. If you had to use down trim, then your plane is slightly (or more) tail heavy. Add weight to the nose (or move stuff around to get more weight on the nose).
5. Retest.
The goal is to get the elevator exactly level with the bottom of the wing (on this plane) by getting the weight moved (or added) around to accomplish it. . It might take 2-?? times to get it perfect. But, believe me, it is well worth it. Flying will seem easier and the plane likes it a lot better.
It is worth mentioning that the Center of Lift is also a major consideration of a plane. However, rather than bore everyone to death with the details, it is not worth going into all the technobabble because there isn't anything you can do about it without all the high-tech equipment that is needed plus, it is way off topic for this thread.
AJ
P.S. For those of you that just can't resist finding out more about what is involved in CoL, take a look at THIS. Yipes.
P.S.S. HERE is a little easier one to understand.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jul 31, 2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:58 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Oh guys don't forget to share your electrics here :-)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1687469
AND, for the folks that are headed for FPV, make sure to check in HERE for all the help you will ever need. It is a great thread that is handled by a very knowledgeable guy. Enjoy.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Yes, and very well
I pulled out original tubes cut them in two pieces spaced them out on the fuse and and tail enough to get the end of the tube closer to the horns.
On the rudder push rod you actually can glue the end of the tube leaving about 1" sticking toward the horn.
Finally a mod that I have all the parts for !
I have a V1. It seems the tubes are glued in place. Did you heat the glue?
About how much of exposed control rod did you have at the end of the rudder control ?
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:30 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
New bixler 2:
Bigger with some improvements.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...laps_ARF_.html
Got pre cut and hinged flaps, hinged elev and rud, larger ailerons by the looks, lower kV motor and larger 7x4 prop.

Seems to be new and not another relabelled skysurfer, still has servo's mounted like the V1 too.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
New bixler 2:
Bigger with some improvements.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...laps_ARF_.html
Got pre cut and hinged flaps, hinged elev and rud, larger ailerons by the looks, lower kV motor and larger 7x4 prop.

Seems to be new and not another relabelled skysurfer, still has servo's mounted like the V1 too.
I CANT BELIEVE JUST START A NEW BUILD AND THIS COMES OUT!!!! I spent ages cutting control surfaces and hinge mounting them
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
I CANT BELIEVE JUST START A NEW BUILD AND THIS COMES OUT!!!! I spent ages cutting control surfaces and hinge mounting them
I am waiting for all the stuff to fix up my V1 to be something like this. Such is life.
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:50 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Anyone wants a NEW in the box V1 - Never built

BTW, that V2 stuff is just a rumor LOL ...Just buy my V1 - In stock
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Apr 2012
937 Posts
Can anybody verify if the stock bixlermotor shaft is 2.3mm?
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:58 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
The new SS V1 is now ready to fly but I need y'alls help with this;
Do I fly it in rate mode to start with, if so how should I set-up rate mode?

Thanks,
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:30 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,609 Posts
I had to wait ages before I could get a Bixler (no stock) finally a week after I bought the V1 they bring out the V2.............................................:ce nsored:
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:15 PM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,291 Posts
We were warned about Bixler2 about a month ago. I have been holding off from buying another Bixler to see what differences there would be.
Bixler2 ordered!!

LURCH
taz101 is offline Find More Posts by taz101
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
The new SS V1 is now ready to fly but I need y'alls help with this;
Do I fly it in rate mode to start with, if so how should I set-up rate mode?

Thanks,
DJ
Sculptor

I am not sure by what you mean concerning "rate mode". When I maiden my SS I only had the basic 4 channel Tx that came with it so except for making sure my control surfaces were in the neutral position and would move in the correct direction (needed to reverse one) that is all I did to fly it.

If you have a Tx with high and low rates then I would go with the one that gave you +/- 100% for each servo. You can always modify the settings once you have it trimmed out.

Vince
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:00 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,609 Posts
I obviously missed that post, never mind the V1 flies well and allows me to fly in the paddock at home. Too rough to land anything else, gives me stick time which is good
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:33 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Sculptor

I am not sure by what you mean concerning "rate mode". When I maiden my SS I only had the basic 4 channel Tx that came with it so except for making sure my control surfaces were in the neutral position and would move in the correct direction (needed to reverse one) that is all I did to fly it.

If you have a Tx with high and low rates then I would go with the one that gave you +/- 100% for each servo. You can always modify the settings once you have it trimmed out.

Vince
I'm going to do as you suggest, fly it on 100%. Was that flight your first flight with an RC plane?

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor