New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2015, 07:04 PM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
4,042 Posts
I mounted my ESC to the underside of the battery floor (glued on with GOOP). A plywood plate bolted to the foam battery floor and cut out to allow a lower battery position. Lots of airflow, and in a very large section of the duct so it doesn't restrict the flow much. Makes for very short battery wires!
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...=294001&page=4
See post #37.
Cheers
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 02:45 AM
Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
13,204 Posts
That is a pretty good idea 4Stripes!! I never even considered putting it that far 'forwards'.
But one issue is access to it later... I have to think about that. I would possibly do it as a "removable plate" as a portion of the battery tray. eg large battery tray, and the ESC smaller part of that same plate is bolted to that main part. Thus you get access via the top hatch opening, unscrew the ESC plate and lift it out. But still a bit of thought about ease of wiring removal/disconnect - just the motor side then.

And the battery tray mod is another good idea!! Which of course goes hand in hand with this ESC mounting panel idea anyway.
I will investigate that.....
The under wing position has annoying wiring runs to do, so it is not as nice a solution!

Boy are those YEP leads BIG!! 8AWG? Or thick coated 10AWG....
I would like to keep the same AWG, especially with the length of what that motor run would be,
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
4,042 Posts
The battery tray and ESC is held in with 4 nylon bolts for access. Came in handy when the first ESC failed during testing.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
13,204 Posts
I did the Flaps mod to add the "angled edge" to the inboard end of the Flaps.
They are blocked in with balsa - the Wing and the Flaps.
Then I need to get the Trailing Edge stock to replace all those with balsa....

I used some 2.5mm 5ply marine plywood for the EDF mounting rails. The FlyFly "Plywood" isn't very good plywood at all....

I made a balsa wood 'grab rail' for the EDF cover, seeing grabbing the foam rib that was there was 'slippery' and to often I noted it was annoying to grip and get the cover block out.

The Extended hatch.... all the RC gear will go in that new opened out rear area. There is enough room for the RX, SBUS Decoder (I need to use one), and a Stabiliser if I want to add that.

I did assessing and measuring of 4Stripes "new battery tray floor and ESC mount" idea. One possible issue I thought about was the WEIGHT of the ESC being forwards of the CofG now instead of rearwards of it. That is a BIG change. But I am hoping/expecting that the Airbrake servos down the rear, plus Fiberglassing, will swing the rear end weigh to NEED the ESC in that more forwards position anyway.

I made the floor cutout approximately what I expect I can have the largest, and the new 2.5mm Bass Ply plate is 270mm long by 110mm wide - quite large really!
It can fit two 4S 5000mAH side by side with a bit of width to spare, plus a lot longer length than those batteries to allow for balancing placement needs.
The underside, in the ducting, area is rebated so that the plate is flush to the ducting. The plate will be PU glued in later on in construction.
It will also have 4 captive nuts and some mounting plates (in the four corner positions) put into the battery area, to bolt the plate on also - for extra safety! Seeing it holds ALL the weight of 2x 4S batteries on it!

The ESC (HobbyKing YEP 120A HV) goes onto a rectangular plate portion of the main plate - a cutout piece - down the rear end. I have not finalised the size and exact position of that cutout plate yet. It will also have a bolt/captive nut system, with some plywood rails, that holds it in position securely.
This is so that the ESC can be removed upwards from the plate for future maintenance.
It also has to have the Motor side wiring coming upwards into the battery area, 'within' the removable ESC plate so that it can be lifted out upwards easily.
The forwards running Battery leads from the ESC stay under the plate all the way to the front hatch area before coming up into the battery area. They can do that fine as they can easily be fed down into the ducting for ESC removal.
So all in all it works out very well - it just needs that further checking of the exact ESC position and the motor end wiring paths. The foam of the floor there is THICK, so the motor side wiring will remain 'within the floor', no higher than the surface level, so as not to waste any space back there, which is used for RX items etc.

PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Last edited by PeterVRC; Yesterday at 06:47 PM.