Oct 10, 2012, 09:05 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903
Sounds like its drifting a lot during RTH..that's not normal. Is it also drifting when in GPS hold? If so I would recalibrate the compass again and make sure your GPS antenna settings are correct. My RTH lands pretty quick but has no swirl or spin as it comes down. Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert
What Wirewolf903 says and some gain adjustments will help the drift.
Since you're calling it circular, be sure it's not a small amount of TBE.
Sometimes the last, residual TBE has to be resolved with gain adjustments...
Man, I feel like a doofus. I didn't even think about calibration when I installed the compass. Duh. I hooked up the Naza and did the "IMU calibration" from the tools menu. The tool said it needed to be done so I did it. Is the IMU calibration the same thing as the compass calibration detailed on page 31-32 in the manual? Or do I need to do both?

And no, it doesn't hold well in a hover. And the circle that it performed during RTH was a pretty wide circle; maybe 10-15 feet diameter? I figured that's too wide to be TBE...

Thanks again guys.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2012, 09:23 AM
I never finish anyth
Yes you need to do both... the manual says too.
Oct 10, 2012, 09:55 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites
Yes you need to do both... the manual says too.
Done. Performed the compass calibration. I couldn't get it into calibration mode but through the power of the search function and the Internet, I figured it out. It was because I didn't have Manual set up so I made a quick adjustment in the transmitter and it worked.

It's a beautiful day and very light winds so I'm gonna charge and try it again. Thanks everyone; will report back later.
Oct 10, 2012, 10:04 AM
Empire Support

Tbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then
Done. Performed the compass calibration. I couldn't get it into calibration mode but through the power of the search function and the Internet, I figured it out. It was because I didn't have Manual set up so I made a quick adjustment in the transmitter and it worked.

It's a beautiful day and very light winds so I'm gonna charge and try it again. Thanks everyone; will report back later.
Some circling can just be GPS drift and correction.
And gains adjustments will help minimize it.
In strong wilds, I'll see some circular drift at times.
I hold my breath until the craft slowly settles.
If you've experienced true TBE, you'll know why I do...
The thing to look for in TBE is a helix shape and ever increasing speed.
Oct 10, 2012, 02:46 PM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
As I understand it the RTH should bring it straight back to home when you pull down elevator. At about 10 meters out you should switch back to normal mode. I noticed that sometimes it did not come straight back to home, but went some distance sideways from home. I had to use aileron in addition to elevator to move it sideways to get it coming back to me. I believe that this was due to the fact that I didn't have a lock on all the satellites. Sometimes I don't get them all from where I live due to steep hills on the west. I believe I need to get at least 6 in order for RTH to work properly.
Oct 10, 2012, 02:48 PM
I never finish anyth
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
As I understand it the RTH should bring it straight back to home when you pull down elevator. At about 10 meters out you should switch back to normal mode. I noticed that sometimes it did not come straight back to home, but went some distance sideways from home. I had to use aileron in addition to elevator to move it sideways to get it coming back to me. I believe that this was due to the fact that I didn't have a lock on all the satellites. Sometimes I don't get them all from where I live due to steep hills on the west. I believe I need to get at least 6 in order for RTH to work properly.
I believe you mean IOC
Oct 10, 2012, 03:21 PM
I hate waiting for parts
I just tried flying it and it had wild fluctuations in altitude in both GPS and Attitude mode. Like it would take off strongly on its own. Then it would descent rapidly and I would have to floor it to prevent it from slamming into the ground. Is my Basic Altitude gain too high? It's at 145%. It didn't do this before the calibration but I also increased the gains too.
Oct 10, 2012, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites
I believe you mean IOC
Yes, you are correct. IOC, Home Lock is what I should have labeled the function. I can't rely on what I "remember" especially as it regards terminology much at all anymore. I can't spell anymore either and must rely on spell checkers. I used to be a gud spller. It's sucks getting old.
Oct 10, 2012, 03:37 PM
Empire Support

More Info Required...

Quote:
I just tried flying it and it had wild fluctuations in altitude in both GPS and Attitude mode. Like it would take off strongly on its own. Then it would descent rapidly and I would have to floor it to prevent it from slamming into the ground. Is my Basic Altitude gain too high? It's at 145%. It didn't do this before the calibration but I also increased the gains too.
You can't undo the calibration, but you can set the gains back where they were.
See what you get.
The calibration should not have affected altitude control.

Make sure the Naza FC is mounted securely. Also, where is it mounted?

I know you are stock DJI because you told us that in an earlier post.
What are all your gains? Basic and Attitude
What battery?
What props?
The behavior you are describing is what you get when you are overweight. Or something is confusing the barometric (altitude) sensor on the FC.
Are you carrying any cargo? Camera, FPV gear, etc.

Some pics of your rig/setup would also help...
Last edited by T J Gilbert; Oct 10, 2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Comments
Oct 10, 2012, 03:54 PM
I hate waiting for parts
I didn't think the calibration would have affected things like that but I had to ask. I'm using the DJI 10" props. I have a 3s 2200 and 3s 2600. I've flown both (not at the same time of course) and not had a problem. That last time it was the 2200. Basic gains are 145% across the board. The other gains are 135% I believe. I increased them all by 10% after calibration. I'm not carrying anything FPV yet. The only thing not stock is a T-Rex 500 landing gear but that's been there since the first flight.
Oct 10, 2012, 04:11 PM
Empire Support

Puzzled

Quote:
I didn't think the calibration would have affected things like that but I had to ask. I'm using the DJI 10" props. I have a 3s 2200 and 3s 2600. I've flown both (not at the same time of course) and not had a problem. That last time it was the 2200. Basic gains are 145% across the board. The other gains are 135% I believe. I increased them all by 10% after calibration. I'm not carrying anything FPV yet. The only thing not stock is a T-Rex 500 landing gear but that's been there since the first flight.
Don't be afraid to ask questions...
You are going to have to play detective really thoroughly...

Your battery/prop combination is okay.
Check the charged condition of your batteries.
Your gains are fine.
140/140/140/140
100/100
is a good staring point...

Something has changed from your original arrangement that is buggering your baro sensor. You need to go over your rig and check it. FC may be loose. A wire may be loose. What about bullet connectors and solder joints? Are you using the double sided tape supplied by DJI?
Also, double check your settings on the Assistant.

And some photos may still answer a lot...
Oct 10, 2012, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Wow, that sounds like it is in the Manual mode. Have you checked in Assistant to make sure that when the three position switch is in M, Atti, and GPS the appropriate buttons turn Blue?

BTW I first used the default gains in Assistant. I didn't know it at the time, but I believe they are for the 330. It flew fine. Then I changed them all the the gains recommended at the end of the newest manual. I also made a mistake and recalibrated the ICU even though it didn't need it. It still flies just fine and I notice no real difference from before I made these changes.
Oct 10, 2012, 04:23 PM
"I just tried flying it and it had wild fluctuations in altitude in both GPS and Attitude mode......"

Try recalibrating your tx. I had the same phenomenon when getting my latest quad dialed in. Tried a whole range of gains, no help. Then I thought maybe it was the receiver. Changed it out, no help. Changed location of the NAZA and the location of the receiver, again no help. As a last resort I did a tx calibration, cycled the FC while still connected to the assistant to verify the sliders were correct and low and behold, fixed.
Oct 10, 2012, 07:02 PM
next year I'm going to Australia, probably Melbourne, is it possible to travel by plane with the quadcopter? is there any problem to carry the LIPO batteries?? 1,2ghz and 2,4ghz are allowed frequencies in Australia?

Thanks
Oct 10, 2012, 09:17 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert
Don't be afraid to ask questions...
You are going to have to play detective really thoroughly...

Your battery/prop combination is okay.
Check the charged condition of your batteries.
Your gains are fine.
140/140/140/140
100/100
is a good staring point...

Something has changed from your original arrangement that is buggering your baro sensor. You need to go over your rig and check it. FC may be loose. A wire may be loose. What about bullet connectors and solder joints? Are you using the double sided tape supplied by DJI?
Also, double check your settings on the Assistant.

And some photos may still answer a lot...
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
Wow, that sounds like it is in the Manual mode. Have you checked in Assistant to make sure that when the three position switch is in M, Atti, and GPS the appropriate buttons turn Blue?

BTW I first used the default gains in Assistant. I didn't know it at the time, but I believe they are for the 330. It flew fine. Then I changed them all the the gains recommended at the end of the newest manual. I also made a mistake and recalibrated the ICU even though it didn't need it. It still flies just fine and I notice no real difference from before I made these changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADHAT01
"I just tried flying it and it had wild fluctuations in altitude in both GPS and Attitude mode......"

Try recalibrating your tx. I had the same phenomenon when getting my latest quad dialed in. Tried a whole range of gains, no help. Then I thought maybe it was the receiver. Changed it out, no help. Changed location of the NAZA and the location of the receiver, again no help. As a last resort I did a tx calibration, cycled the FC while still connected to the assistant to verify the sliders were correct and low and behold, fixed.
I checked my gains and they are 145% for Basic and 135% for Attitude. I just dropped the Altitude/Basic to 135% as that's where everything was when I first put the F450 together. I'll fly it again tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'll recalibrate the transmitter. If THAT doesn't work then I'll set everything to defaults as specified in the manual.

I'll also check it for loose wires, Naza, etc. I'm using servo tape to attach the Naza to the frame. I forgot my camera so I can't take pics until I get home (don't like using my smartphone camera for detail shots).

Quick Reply