Old Jun 01, 2016, 05:18 PM
Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
R/C Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,841 Posts
Discussion
JR9303 Sailplane Launch Switch Programming

Where are you folks putting your launch switches on JR 9303 airplane radios? It seems there are no momentary switches on the left side. I've alternately been using the trainer switch or the moto button, but find neither one really satisfactory.

Thanks in advance.
Dominic

EDIT - a quick search shows folks are either switching out the trainer switch for a spring-loaded one, or using the moto button. However, my moto button is not momentary - it's push for on, and push for off. Hard to tell when it's activated as well because there is no audible signal and the you can't tell by looking at the button.

Maybe replacing the trainer switch with a spring-loaded one is the answer?
screamin' eagle is online now Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Last edited by screamin' eagle; Jun 01, 2016 at 06:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2016, 06:34 PM
Find More Posts by The_Builder
God Created me to Create
Joined Nov 2009
3,361 Posts
Not a 9303 but on my 7202 I flew a while back I did just what you are talking about. I simply put a momentary switch where I needed it.
The_Builder is online now Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Jun 01, 2016, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,959 Posts
I have a 9303. I switched the GEAR and pushbutton switched physically back to front and front to back. I have the gear switch pointing toward the back for launch mode. In launch mode the flaps come up to neutral and the elevator is normal. Basically it is trimmed for climb out, straight. Flipping the switch forward enables the speed, cruise and thermal modes. So when I get to the top, the plane enters a standard cruise mode (which is close to a thermal mode. Doing it this way allows me to land, flip the switch forward and the plane adjustments come to a standard launch mode. I then use the push button with the mixing functions to reflex the flaps, trim the elevator for rotation and give right rudder (because I have a huge hook. Flaps are active in all modes, so the T stick needs to be full up. I have been adjusting the ailerons differential for thermaling mode and in the other modes because the 9303 has individual trim settings. I have the flaps and elevator mixes so that switching between modes has the plane not changing angle of attack. I have the stopwatch enabled on the pushbutton, so it often beeps if I use the launch reflex. I have not yet played with dual rates much or exponential on channels. I use snap flap/elevator on the last 50% of the throw up or down. This allows me to trim my plane around neutral with out chasing flap/elevator settings.

Now made Cams that substitute for the throttle to force the throttle stick full up all the time when not touched, or centered WITHOUT using rubber bands to hold the tick up. Very clean, but I found that they did not work out for me, but did do the job. I've posted these elsewhere on RC groups.

So if I choose, I can push the button during or just after release to rotate the plkane up then release it for a straight on climb. I have not done that much, I concentrate on just getting a smooth launch which seems to get me higher than the reflex. This is not for certain, and needs to be tested more now that I have a better plane, the TweagleTD.

I hope this helps for your question.

Chris
Thermaln2 is online now Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Jun 02, 2016, 02:43 PM
R/C Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,841 Posts
Thanks all, that's very helpful.

I happen to have an old Futaba transmitter in the garage with a nice momentary switch on it. I think I'll pilfer it for use on the 9303 and do some soldering tonight.
Old Jun 02, 2016, 11:41 PM
R/C Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle View Post
Thanks all, that's very helpful.

I happen to have an old Futaba transmitter in the garage with a nice momentary switch on it. I think I'll pilfer it for use on the 9303 and do some soldering tonight.
Done. I think this is a huge improvement. The new switch isn't quite as tall as the old one, but I like the action on it. I'll definitely be able to release it faster this way and screw it up a lot less.