Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Dec 08, 2015, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by DaveB69
United Kingdom, Scotland, Dalkeith
Joined May 2015
150 Posts
Build Log
Curtiss-Wright Junior 1969 - C.A.P. 2016

Got the plan printed out on A4 sheets taped together.

I want to keep it as a fairly simple vintage style model, but I'm going to alter the shape of the nose from the wing forward as it doesn't resemble the real thing very much. The rest of the model is a pretty reasonable 1/10 scale outline.

The pusher motor position only allows clearance above the fuselage for a 7" prop, hopefully I can keep it light and not need much power anyway.
DaveB69 is offline Find More Posts by DaveB69
Last edited by DaveB69; Apr 01, 2016 at 03:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2015, 01:27 AM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
7,610 Posts
Watching with interest Dave, I've always liked the look of this particular model. I've posted a link to your build on the YOBBO thread
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Dec 09, 2015, 07:14 AM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
4,821 Posts
Dave: is it this one?
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=808
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 09, 2015, 12:15 PM
Joined May 2015
150 Posts
Yes Colonel, that's the one.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 06:02 PM
Joined May 2015
150 Posts
I need to get hold of some balsa before I can properly get started (no local shop any more). I have 1 sheet of 1/16" so could perhaps run off some wing ribs...

In the meantime I printed of a 1/10 scale side view from a scale 3-view and laid it over the plan. Everything fits nicely except the nose shape.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:40 AM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
4,821 Posts
How bizarre! I would definitely go with the 'correct' nose shape - but I would keep the slightly enlarged fin....
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:06 AM
Joined May 2015
150 Posts
That's more like it!

Just arrived, a parcel of balsa and other materials I ordered from SLEC. I'm impressed, I placed the order online late on Tuesday night, but I assumed they would be closed till the new year, wasn't really expecting it so soon.

So hopefully I can get started on the Junior...
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by viva_peru
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
905 Posts
Maybe these photos will provide some inspiration:

http://airandspace.si.edu/collection...m_A19590100000

For some reason, I think that this is a really nice looking airplane, although in its time, it did not sell very well.

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
7,610 Posts
That's a very nice looking Junior Teo, love the eleant blue and silver scheme. Looking forward to seeing yours take shape Dave now that you have got the materials. It's nice to hear of the good service you got from SLEC, I haven't used them recently, I get my wood, ali tube and carbon from the Balsa Cabin who have always been very good too, but it's always nice to have an alternative.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Dec 31, 2015, 06:08 PM
Joined May 2015
150 Posts
Teo, the Smithsonian one is lovely isn't it. I read that they sold well at first despite it being in the midst of the Depression, but the engine was prone to self-destructing (the cable around the cylinder heads is apparently there to stop them going through the propeller when they become detached from the engine!), and there were accidents with people walking into the prop, not being used to a low mounted pusher layout. So production was stopped after only a year or so.

George, up until the last minute I wasn't sure whether to try SLEC or Balsa Cabin, each stock things the other doesn't, but it came down to price in the end, my order was 20 cheaper due to SLEC having a 10% discount and free postage at the size of order. The wood seems nice, consistent and evenly matched.

Now to get started. And finish Rigel...
Old Dec 31, 2015, 07:09 PM
Find More Posts by Balsabird
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,309 Posts
Stopped for fuel one day at Dalhart, Texas in my Luscombe. While paying the gas bill, I saw on display a three cylinder Szekley radial engine. When I asked what the 1/4" 7x19 tying the cylinders together at the heads, the FBO owner said "That keeps the cylinders from leaving the crankcase!" Apparently there was a problem with cylinder base flanges failing and that could ruin your afternoon.
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Jan 01, 2016, 08:58 AM
Find More Posts by viva_peru
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
905 Posts
There were several reports of cylinders flying off and hence the wires. If the wires are tightened significantly it could also add some stiffness to the assembly. I think that the biggest issue for the plane was the fact that the prop was located behind the cockpit and people were not used to that. There were several instances of people walking into the spinning props.
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Jan 27, 2016, 06:22 AM
Joined May 2015
150 Posts
I've finally got started, made a ply wing rib template and brought some balsa in from the garage.
Last edited by DaveB69; Jan 27, 2016 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Spelling...
Old Feb 02, 2016, 05:24 PM
Joined May 2015
150 Posts
Sorry no pictures yet, but 2 fuselage sides have been cut from 1/16" sheet.
Old Feb 02, 2016, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
14,351 Posts
I've always though the Junior was a cutie.

If you're building it to the original 44" span and since it sounds like you're building it with the original light stock I think you'll find that the right motor Kv value will spin a 7 inch prop and fly that model with far more than "scale" power. I'd be amazed if you end up with it weighing more than around 10 oz. And at that weight a nice scale power to weight ratio would be around 40 watts/lb. Maybe go with 50 to 60 just for a bit of safety and fly it mostly at reduced throttle. But even at 60 watts per lb at 10 to 12 oz you're looking at a roughly 40 to 50 watt motor. And that means a mini brushless motor. Anything that will run on a 2S pack at around 6 amps will do just fine.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews